Archived Canadian boondoggle gets HQ employees fired also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like the post except the severance packages leave a bad taste in my mouth. Golden parachute.

Just because they worked for HQ doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid.
I just wish they had the same respect for all their employees.

Shame that the people getting chopped for bad decisions by the very top are often employees who have been with the company for years.

Hopefully with the new CEO and new CIO, both from outside the company, the HQ team members responsible are being termed and not innocents.
Canadian boondoggle gets HQ employees fired also.

With AP headlines reading "Hundreds of Target Employees laid off in Twin Cities" the news Wed 2/11/15 is that 350 of the 10,000 HQ employees are gone immediately with another 200 to go when the Canadian screw up over 133 stores to be closed is finally finished this May. In addition to the Mn. firings, the Target operation in India is also laying off 170 employees

The US employees will be paid for at least 60 days and severance packages will be given based on years of service.

See also: http://targetfiling.blogspot.com/ and
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/...loyees-laid-off-in-Twin-Cities-291534671.html

Just because they worked for HQ doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid.
I just wish they had the same respect for all their employees.

Shame that the people getting chopped for bad decisions by the very top are often employees who have been with the company for years.

Their press release is worded in such a way as to imply all 550 employees were tied to Canada operations. If you stop and think about that, they're actively wanting us to believe that they had 550 employees solely (or at least a significant enough portion of their responsibilities) tied to just 133 stores. That is straight up bonkers, and if it is true and they're not just trying to tie the bad news to old bad news then it's very clear why Canada failed, that type of overhead is absolutely crazy.

Their press release is worded in such a way as to imply all 550 employees were tied to Canada operations. If you stop and think about that, they're actively wanting us to believe that they had 550 employees solely (or at least a significant enough portion of their responsibilities) tied to just 133 stores. That is straight up bonkers, and if it is true and they're not just trying to tie the bad news to old bad news then it's very clear why Canada failed, that type of overhead is absolutely crazy.

I suspect this was a good excuse to cut more bodies from the already top heavy central office.
That isn't even counting the people they offered jobs to and then rescinded the jobs after the people had uprooted their lives to move to Minneapolis.

the fuck is a boondoggle

220px-Scoubidou_3_strands.jpg

:D

I doubt any HQ employee makes TM wages. ETL or Sr TL wages maybe.
The difference is the short supply of workers with the specialized skills and experience for what are arguably very critical roles that impact all of the stores.

Haven't worked at Target HQ, but I have for other retailers. Generally speaking, entry level professionals in an exempt role that requires a college degree or equivalent work experience are compensated similarly to an STL.

Young experienced professionals with around five years of progressive experience, a few professional certifications and affiliations, and an MBA or other advanced masters-level degree is typically compensated similarly to an ETL.

Keep in mind that there are far fewer potential candidates that would qualified for these types of job postings, as compared to the seemingly endless stream of applicants just waiting for any opening. The cost of losing an experienced professional and having to recruit, hire, onboard, and train a replacement is around 150% of the position's salary, easily up in the low six-figures per turn. There is some cost incurred screening, interviewing, and training store applicants, but there are far more generally-qualified candidates than there are store openings.

And you also have to factor in the huge cost of attaining the credentials needed to land those roles at HQ. Not just the 4-6 year head start that those who don't go to college have in starting and advancing their careers, but also the associated income that college graduates weren't earning while in school. Oh, plus the actual cost of the checks you write for the privilege....

image.jpg

I'm sure a vast majority of those being laid off had no way to meaningfully impact the outcome, and are probably looking at 6-12 months out of work and only 3 months of unemployment. 60 days severance is actually a pretty stingy offer, and a lot of them and their families will have a really tough year ahead.

Of course they could what I did and get an hourly job making 1/6 the income, but that still leaves your family trying to get by without 83% of the money that pays the bills and puts food on the table. If you think that is a golden parachute, you're crazy. It's more like a single tissue under you to "soften" the blow.

Hopefully, this is s sign that management simply cannot cut any more hours from the stores because they realize they have reached the limit.

I'm going to guess that HQ hasn't yet tried to operate with a smaller workforce the same way they force stores to try to operate on a skeleton crew. And now those in HQ are to be the newest victims.

As much as I hate working with a skeleton crew in the store, I would fear even more working for a skeleton crew at HQ. We already have a ton of mistakes, errors, and oversights that contribute to process errors, redundant workload, and countless headaches. I'd hate to see what else could go wrong if HQ was as understaffed as the stores are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back