Archived Can't be at my shift on Christmas eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was scheduled 3-11:30 pm on Christmas eve. Weeks before, i put it online that i can't work that day because i have obligations at my church that i'm not allowed to miss all night that night.I got scheduled anyway and also got overscheduled 20 hours over my 20 hour availability(which they keep doing). I am a college student and am ready to quit because they will not stop overscheduling me and when i talk to them, they don't fix it. Anyway, i wrote my ETL a note and put it in her mailbox about how there is no way i can be there on christmas eve, which my mom told me to do. Am i supposed to approach her or like call in that day? I've been here for four months and have never called in except once when my cat died. What am i supposed to do? Im so stressed about all of this. My mom said to wait for her to approach me since i already reached out to her via a letter.

P.S. I wrote her a letter because we rarely work the same shifts so i never see her.

I already tried to ask the people who were opening and no one would take it.

Don't ask someone who's opening...nobody wants to work a double like that lol. Ask people who miraculously got off or who are hurting for hours. If it comes down to it, just call out. It is 100% on them for not respecting your availability (since you said you've made it clear before).

The thing is it said accepted one day online then now that i check it after, it says denied. And no i asked them to switch with me because i can open i just can't close that day.

Post it on the swap board. Let HR know that you can work that AM if they can get you off the other shift.
If someone is desperate for hrs or has a last-minute change of plans, they might pick it up.
If your ETL doesn't get back to you, call out. It won't look good but you did what you could.

Ah okay thank you so much. I'm just so nervous about it, not sure why. Thank you!

While it's not the world's end, it doesn't hurt to be somewhat nervous.
If you do have to call out, call at least 2 hrs prior to your shift's starting time.

So i just tell them that i have to be at church all day that day when i call in??

Call & ask for the LOD (the ETL who is the Leader On Duty that day).
You tell them you can't come in.
It's up to you if you want to offer an explanation but it's technically not required.
These days it's more ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same).

Don't just take it to HR, take it to the Store TL.

Aside from them fucking you over, why are they scheduling you til 11:30? Don't most stores close early on CE? (ours closes at 10) and isn't it deadzone guest wise most of the evening?

Our store is open until 12 every day until christmas except christmas eve they're open until 11. But when we close at 12 we don't leave until 12:30. Older employees said it wasnt always this way but our old STL or something changed it and so now we are open crazy hours. Last year our store was open until 7 now it's 11. Its deadzone guests every night after 9 yet we still have to stay until 12:30. It really sucks

I can't take it to my STL because everytime i or anyone else asks him anything he says "you're going to have to talk to Cathy about that one" cathy is our HR.

*Correction*: The two weeks before Christmas, we're open one extra hour, the week before Christmas we're open two extra hours (except CE, one hour less).

After Christmas, we're back to normal hours, except NYE, where we close at 9.

Last edited:
We usually close at 11, week and a few days before Christmas, we close at 12 (except CE).

Time off is blacked out during the holidays unless it's pre-arranged or an emergency.

Just remember, Target doesn't care about your life outside of Target. They want you at work when they want you.

If you cannot work a shift, you need to utilize the Swap Shift Board.

If they scheduling outside your availability, you need to inform HR and possibly the STL. Show them your schedule and availability.

The thing is it said accepted one day online then now that i check it after, it says denied. And no i asked them to switch with me because i can open i just can't close that day.

I always print it and take a picture with my phone when it says approved so that it shows the date

Don't just take it to HR, take it to the Store TL.

Aside from them fucking you over, why are they scheduling you til 11:30? Don't most stores close early on CE? (ours closes at 10) and isn't it deadzone guest wise most of the evening?

My store always goes past my availability and schedules me a half hour after close for some reason it's ridiculous they don't follow people's availability

Time off is blacked out during the holidays unless it's pre-arranged or an emergency.

Just remember, Target doesn't care about your life outside of Target. They want you at work when they want you.

If you cannot work a shift, you need to utilize the Swap Shift Board.

If they scheduling outside your availability, you need to inform HR and possibly the STL. Show them your schedule and availability.

One TM at our store got Thanksgiving off, no pre-arrangement. He just put in a regular time off request saying he was going out of town and it was accepted.

Incidentally, he asked for Christmas Eve off and was rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back