Archived Capacities nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, per my tl, who is my boss, we aren't supposed to even change them anymore. If it comes up that we change that directive, I'll search for the truth somewhere.
Mute the zebra and do it anyways. If they want you to leave the capacities super wrong, they are either a fucking moron, or they want your autos to be huge so they can performance you out, either way, protect yourself 💪🏻 I have my team adjust all of their capacities and it helped get everything under control bigtime. It was a crucial step in making the new process work for us, verifying every capacity and auditing every quantity. Undoubtedly worth the time it takes.

Mute the zebra and do it anyways. If they want you to leave the capacities super wrong, they are either a fucking moron, or they want your autos to be huge so they can performance you out, either way, protect yourself 💪🏻 I have my team adjust all of their capacities and it helped get everything under control bigtime. It was a crucial step in making the new process work for us, verifying every capacity and auditing every quantity. Undoubtedly worth the time it takes.

Right, so where does that time come from? I did the writing aisle. 260 dpcis. I'm to do all that. Plus set. Plus pull. Plus backstock. Yeah..... nope.

And I'm sure EVERY dpci in your store is verified. EVERY size and color of bra. EVERY size of shoe. Again .... not buying it.

Are you also telling me whoever does your revisions in ENT audits the capacities each week when they reset? Because if that's what you're trying to sell, I'm not buying.

Right, so where does that time come from? I did the writing aisle. 260 dpcis. I'm to do all that. Plus set. Plus pull. Plus backstock. Yeah..... nope.

And I'm sure EVERY dpci in your store is verified. EVERY size and color of bra. EVERY size of shoe. Again .... not buying it.

Are you also telling me whoever does your revisions in ENT audits the capacities each week when they reset? Because if that's what you're trying to sell, I'm not buying.
I didn’t say the whole store, I said the areas I oversee.

You should have gotten at least as many hours as the adjacency calendar called for, for the stationary transition. I got around 130. Adjacency calendar times don’t take into account pulling, or backstocking. Hopefully your leaders understand this.

I didn’t say the whole store, I said the areas I oversee.

You should have gotten at least as many hours as the adjacency calendar called for, for the stationary transition. I got around 130. Adjacency calendar times don’t take into account pulling, or backstocking. Hopefully your leaders understand this.

No, you never made that distinction in your message. Did I miss it?

So who at your store does that then? We have no backroom, so it falls on us. Who pulls yours? Where do the hours come from then?

No, you never made that distinction in your message. Did I miss it?

So who at your store does that then? We have no backroom, so it falls on us. Who pulls yours? Where do the hours come from then?
I took some of the transition payroll and added it to a closer from the night before’s shift, they then dropped and pulled batches for the aisles being done the following day. But this all started weeks ago, when I had starionary detrash and backstock all transition product. That meant that Monday’s batches for the first 5 aisles, all 2500 eaches, took like 20 minutes to pull. The rest of that closer’s time was spend demerching. So I would walk in to demerched aisles, batches pulled. What’s left of our backroom team doesn’t help with this kind of stuff, so I was on my own for it too. By skimming some of my pog hours to use at night, we got more done more quickly, and the consequence was leaving 6.5 hours of salesplanners for the stat pp2 person to get done Friday and Saturday (which is reasonable, and something they regularly do anyways).

So, to answer your question, I took the hours from myself.

I took some of the transition payroll and added it to a closer from the night before’s shift, they then dropped and pulled batches for the aisles being done the following day. But this all started weeks ago, when I had starionary detrash and backstock all transition product. That meant that Monday’s batches for the first 5 aisles, all 2500 eaches, took like 20 minutes to pull. The rest of that closer’s time was spend demerching. So I would walk in to demerched aisles, batches pulled. What’s left of our backroom team doesn’t help with this kind of stuff, so I was on my own for it too. By skimming some of my pog hours to use at night, we got more done more quickly, and the consequence was leaving 6.5 hours of salesplanners for the stat pp2 person to get done Friday and Saturday (which is reasonable, and something they regularly do anyways).

So, to answer your question, I took the hours from myself.

I'm glad that works at your store. I don't make the schedule. My pull for my writing pog was 96 tasks. So, I set, pulled, pushed, and backstocked. There is zero time to adjust capacities. If you have the time, great.

You should adjust capacities in audit. In order for it to register you need to also update the quantity of the item. In other words - update capacity of the item THEN update quantity in location.

The reason audit should be used is in addition to changing the inventory and capacity, you also get a manual audit scan which shows on a report.

I'd love to do this but when I use audit it will NOT allow for capacities to be changed. The numbers are all black and tapping on them gives you nothing. I'm very irritated by the idea that corporate mandated capacities are wrong. Sure, tell EVERY store that you want a capacity of 2 and then set them to 3 just for kicks. -_- Problem with not changing capacities is that I backstock, it hits autofills, backroom pulls it, and I have to backstock again. Wash, rinse, repeat.... maddening. So even if we're not supposed to use EXF to change capacities, if it works, I'm going to do it.

You have to finish pushing AND finish backstocking before you audit and update capacities or you cause another never ending loop of too much product coming out.

Let’s say you super zone a section, and pull out the overpush, and then you scan the item and tell it how many fit, then type in that amount that you’ve left in there so it’s full, and THEN you go and do the backstock of the overpush... then the system thinks “oh, it was full to capacity but then someone backstocked 6 of them, so we better have 6 come out in the next autofills so it’ll be full again”.
Unless something has changed in the past year, backstocking doesn’t change the SFQ. That was one of the main changes when they moved to SFQ from the accumulator system.

Unless something has changed in the past year, backstocking doesn’t change the SFQ. That was one of the main changes when they moved to SFQ from the accumulator system.
This was supposed to be the case in theory but there’s been issues according to our backroom coordinator.

I'm glad that works at your store. I don't make the schedule. My pull for my writing pog was 96 tasks. So, I set, pulled, pushed, and backstocked. There is zero time to adjust capacities. If you have the time, great.

It's on your leadership then. For modernization to work, especially with the lack of hours, it'll be important that everything is done correctly so that TMs aren't wasting time. Taking the time to fix capacities will ultimately save time later on as there won't be as many unnecessary pulls that need to be pushed and backstocked. TMs spending time everyday on unnecessary pulls and backstock leaves less time to do the bajillion other things they are supposed to do under modernization.

@busyzoningtoys seems to have that figured out. It's likely going to be awhile before leaders at most other stores, including my own, figure it out. Of course, it would be best if corporate would just set realistic capacities initially. But, seeing as that is unlikely if I was a GM TM with "ownership" of a section I would want to figure out how to take time to fix my aisles' capacities regardless of leadership direction.

Last edited:
Very little product comes out on electronics . We fix the counts in daily basis. Then I do a manual pull or extra to fill the floor. Very ineffective use of my time.

Very little product comes out on electronics . We fix the counts in daily basis. Then I do a manual pull or extra to fill the floor. Very ineffective use of my time.
We drop a manual of every area (besides mine, which to the bemusement of all the other leaders, has a full salesfloor, and not full backroom, and is filled correctly via the truck and the autos) at least once a week, keeps the back room less full. It’s alarming that the logistics ETL credits the fullness and correctness of my areas to luck, and not my understanding of how this new process is supposed to make our jobs easier in the end.

I’d say that getting capacities and quantities correct is so important, that I’d roll truck over to get it done. Even if rolling a day’s worth of truck puts us behind half a week. You don’t just want a full floor, you want a full floor and an empty backroom. Shit can’t sell from the back, and when it’s clearance time, you don’t want to have price change back there either. Plus an empty back room means when transition stuff comes in, you can backstock it all, which means fast and easy batches when you set it vs trapped pallets that take time to pull down, dig through, etc.

You have to get everything correct and set a baseline. After that, you can just scan outs and revisions.

We’ve also been sending shit back. I don’t put up with DC shenanigans. My store isn’t a dumping ground anymore. 11 t-fal pots and pans sets on the truck with no promo in sight, 2 fit on the floor and 2 already in the back? Nope? Not in my house, DC is getting that shit back.

I’d say that getting capacities and quantities correct is so important, that I’d roll truck over to get it done. Even if rolling a day’s worth of truck puts us behind half a week. You don’t just want a full floor, you want a full floor and an empty backroom. Shit can’t sell from the back, and when it’s clearance time, you don’t want to have price change back there either. Plus an empty back room means when transition stuff comes in, you can backstock it all, which means fast and easy batches when you set it vs trapped pallets that take time to pull down, dig through, etc.

You have to get everything correct and set a baseline. After that, you can just scan outs and revisions.

We’ve also been sending shit back. I don’t put up with DC shenanigans. My store isn’t a dumping ground anymore. 11 t-fal pots and pans sets on the truck with no promo in sight, 2 fit on the floor and 2 already in the back? Nope? Not in my house, DC is getting that shit back.

Just remember to keep a balance of what you have in the back. You can absolutely sell shit from the back and for flex it's mostly preferable to do so. There's a gigantic difference for large OPU orders when we can pick most of what we need out of the back. A 23(32) OPU, for example, is a disaster waiting to happen if we have to get most of it from the salesfloor when the store is busy. A single item not being right where it needs to be and we're screwed if not on that specific order, then possibly on the others in the queue that we won't have as much time to fulfill. If most of that pick is properly located in clean backroom aisles, that becomes an easy pick.

With OPU metrics being as important to corporate as they seemingly are you can really help your store by having some of what we need in the back, preferably in open stock -- space permitting. And, of course, it also saves your team time from having to replenish what flex has taken from the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back