Archived Cardboard Baler Blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had somebody make a bale, routed the wires wrong so it stayed attached to the baler AND used a regular pallet to drop it on. So I had a shattered pallet, a bail stuck to the bailer and a person I banned from ever making bales again while I was on duty. After I cut the wires, their penance was to refeed every bit of cardboard into the bailer. Somebody else then made and ejected the bail. Damn idiot.

I once had somebody make a bale, routed the wires wrong so it stayed attached to the baler AND used a regular pallet to drop it on. So I had a shattered pallet, a bail stuck to the bailer and a person I banned from ever making bales again while I was on duty. After I cut the wires, their penance was to refeed every bit of cardboard into the bailer. Somebody else then made and ejected the bail. Damn idiot.

You that is why they did that right? So they would never have to make a bale.

My closing team doesn’t hardly put anything in the baler, so I don’t expect them to have to make bales. GM does it as needed; most of the GM team is former backroom and flow TMs so they’re all fine with making bales.

Make 2 bales now, then make 0 bales forevermore. Seems like a good deal.

Yeah but its not a plan I use that often. I used it murder a car once upon a time but it was cause I never wanted to fix that POS again. And POS was being kind to it.

I mean who trained them tho.

My leadership has a penchant for showing people how to do it once and then demanding they do it alone so I wouldn't be surprised by anyone breaking the baler at my store.

My leadership has a penchant for showing people how to do it once and then demanding they do it alone
This might be part of the new corporate mantra. Less training and more scolding when people mess up.

Feels like more and more sticks and less and less carrots,. 😩

I'm front end, so I am seldom in a position to make a bale, but I know how to do it. When our store was being prepared for opening, I was in the back taking the cardboard and baling it. There doesn't seem to be a massive issue in getting people to make bales at my store. There is a massive one with them not taking them away after they do, which leaves nearly no room to do anything else in the baler/compactor area.

Well, you DO have to be certified to operate the equipment needed to move it.

floorbales are pretty bad but if you finagle it with the Crown you can tip up one end enough to eventually work a pallet under it. The pallet will be in pretty bad shape by the time the bale makes it back on, but that method only takes about 45 minutes

The issue at my store isn't making the bale, it's getting it through all the tight jams. That takes forever.
Nothing can stop a highspeed bale from coming through! hahaha

I will make all and any bale at my store. Big, small, stuck, falls off the pallet, breaks. It gets me off the floor and lets me jam for a bit.

I hate the pull down balers. Give me the one that you can just keep feeding. Making a bale on those isn't bad at all and it poops it out right on the pallet. Its a crappy task to be sure and it should never fall to the same person. The more you do it the easier it is. Getting the wires tight enough is my problem, but I would take my turn. And any closing team that leaves a full baler for the opening team are a-holes

I really don't understand why people are so reluctant to make a bale. It's not difficult. You get to be offstage for awhile. Your TLs appreciate it greatly. And, did I mention isn't not difficult at all? I was always happy to do it when I was GM.

Also, OP, you should probably remove your name and store number from your signature for your own good.
Not tying to be sexist but our store is probably 60/40 women, and I have never seen a woman make a bale here, NEVER! But they sure like cutting in front of me and throwing their trash in, especially the planogr team and the GSTL and her “helpers” who are all in BTS this week. Still, they can’t be bothered to make a bale. Like you said, It’s not hard, you don’t need to lift anything!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back