Archived Carry Out tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I am new to the BR, I am a cart attendant and have been for the past two months and I usually enjoy in on the non busy days because my co workers are pretty cool, even the higher ups. I was wondering if you were aloud to take tips if someone offers you it because on several occasions I have done carry outs and they offer tips, I just respectfully decline because I didn't know the rule about it, would anyone even know if you did accept it? Or is just better not to if you aren't supposed to.

Nope! No tips. Usually regardless of where you work, cart attendants aren't permitted to take tips. That was my first job at a grocery store, and I only took a tip once. It was from an elderly asian couple, and they didn't have the best english, so I couldn't explain that I wasn't even allowed to take a tip. They wouldn't take "no" for an answer, so I ended up having to take it. But otherwise, I had to strictly deny all tips.

Keep respectfully declining.
There's cameras in the parking lot, too.
If they insist, ask them to give you a nice word on the survey & let them know that goes a long way toward making your day.

Yeah, no tips. If the person forces it into your hand, as has happened to me before, at a previous job (no, really. He forced his hand into my pocket and deposited two $20's. I felt violated, tbh), I believe that you can take it, but I'm not entirely sure. Ask a team lead or etl to be sure.

It happens a lot around Christmas. But we were told that if they won't take no for an answer then take it to guest services.

When I was younger and worked at a grocery store we were allowed to take tips.

But Target doesn't allow it. They don't allow most people to have hours either. But that's a different story. :rolleyes:

Just a bit of perspective: you are working a near minimum wage job and you're being told not to accept tips.

I accept tips. I don't ask for them or expect them. If I'm being told not to accept tips, I'll present a logical argument against it. If I get in trouble for it, so be it.

Tips are rewards for going beyond expectations. Target isn't paying you more for exceeding a guest's expectations.

It's up to you, but I'll play the devil's advocate and say let the guest pay for your lunch or a cup of coffee. You obviously deserve it.

Just a bit of perspective: you are working a near minimum wage job and you're being told not to accept tips.

I accept tips. I don't ask for them or expect them. If I'm being told not to accept tips, I'll present a logical argument against it. If I get in trouble for it, so be it.

Tips are rewards for going beyond expectations. Target isn't paying you more for exceeding a guest's expectations.

It's up to you, but I'll play the devil's advocate and say let the guest pay for your lunch or a cup of coffee. You obviously deserve it.

Oh please. Accepting tips is in blatant violation of Target policy. There's no "logical argument against it" either you work for target and don't take tips or you don't work for Target. You don't get to keep a tip if a guest "insists" -if they shove it in your pants pocket, turn it into AP and tell them to watch the tapes.

It's so beyond me why this topic and "well it's not really stealing if I take a guest's $5 giftcard, right?" topic keep getting brought up and run into the ground. There is no moral grey area here.

I would also ask your ETL-AP, just in case. Even though it is against Target policy to accept tips, my ETL-AP and I once chatted about how she didn't care if TMs accepted tips as long as they didn't tell anyone or brag about it. Several other ETLs appeared to feel similarly about it. So, depending on your store, it may be a "Don't ask, don't tell" situation.

Oh please. Accepting tips is in blatant violation of Target policy. There's no "logical argument against it" either you work for target and don't take tips or you don't work for Target. You don't get to keep a tip if a guest "insists" -if they shove it in your pants pocket, turn it into AP and tell them to watch the tapes.

It's so beyond me why this topic and "well it's not really stealing if I take a guest's $5 giftcard, right?" topic keep getting brought up and run into the ground. There is no moral grey area here.

Obviously you don't understand differences in morals. I'll keep taking tips. Thanks. I work for Target and take tips. Target has all kinds of guidelines that aren't followed. Taking the moral high road here is beyond laughable.

In no way is this comparable to taking something that isn't given to you.

Okay, I'll bite.

You know why this frosts my cookie? Because there are people out there who NEED tips. Who LIVE ON TIPS. Waiters who are paid $2.13/hr (not kidding, look it up) who are forced to "tip out" 3% of their sales to bussers and bartenders. So, literally, they get to pay for the privilege of waiting on patrons who don't tip them. And this is not at all uncommon. Or pizza delivery drivers who pay for their own cars, their own gas, their own insurance, their own maintenance out of minimum wage.

And now the Starbucks baristas have their little jars out. Sure- they get paid an hourly that isn't artificially lowered to pass on the labor cost to the consumers, but tips are nice, right? And maybe if they start taking in enough, Starbucks can lower wages!

And now there's you, who just loaded an entertainment center into someone's SUV. Standing there with a smile, your hand not quite held out, but an expectant look on your face.

And people start railing against "tipping culture" and "why do I have to tip EVERYONE now?" and "I had to tip at TARGET!" or "Fuck it, I'm not tipping anymore!" And you know who gets really, really screwed? The person making $2.13/hr and in debt to the house 3% every night. Not you.

Yeah it's a cultural problem, and maybe paying adults less than three dollars an hour to do a job is horrible, but that doesn't excuse you from blatantly ignoring your employers policies and taking part in the problem at the same time. You make us all look bad.

Okay, I'll bite.

You know why this frosts my cookie? Because there are people out there who NEED tips. Who LIVE ON TIPS. Waiters who are paid $2.13/hr (not kidding, look it up) who are forced to "tip out" 3% of their sales to bussers and bartenders. So, literally, they get to pay for the privilege of waiting on patrons who don't tip them. And this is not at all uncommon. Or pizza delivery drivers who pay for their own cars, their own gas, their own insurance, their own maintenance out of minimum wage.

And now the Starbucks baristas have their little jars out. Sure- they get paid an hourly that isn't artificially lowered to pass on the labor cost to the consumers, but tips are nice, right? And maybe if they start taking in enough, Starbucks can lower wages!

And now there's you, who just loaded an entertainment center into someone's SUV. Standing there with a smile, your hand not quite held out, but an expectant look on your face.

And people start railing against "tipping culture" and "why do I have to tip EVERYONE now?" and "I had to tip at TARGET!" or "Fuck it, I'm not tipping anymore!" And you know who gets really, really screwed? The person making $2.13/hr and in debt to the house 3% every night. Not you.

Yeah it's a cultural problem, and maybe paying adults less than three dollars an hour to do a job is horrible, but that doesn't excuse you from blatantly ignoring your employers policies and taking part in the problem at the same time. You make us all look bad.

this.

Okay, I'll bite.

You're an assuming piece of work. I don't expect anything. If something is handed to me, I take it. Deal with it.

I'll expand further since you went on an illogical rant. You don't have to tip anyone. Waitresses and waiters, it's expected of you. Pizza delivery drivers? Nope. The guy carrying your tv out? Nope. Maybe, just maybe, there are people unlike you, who may truly be grateful for good service that instead of offering a thank you and a smile(which is enough, for the record), they want to thank you by paying for your lunch. If you have a problem with other people being able to do that, I'm going to say someone took a nasty shit in your Cheerios for you to get so worked up over something that silly. You make humanity look bad. Getting that worked up over a few fucking dollars.

Tips and "directly stealing a $5 giftcard" are in way different playing fields.

Get off your high horse of morality hun. Nobody follows 100% of the rules 100% of the time, even you.

Okay, I'll bite.

You are making a lot of assumptions here about how DoWork acts when he carries items out. You are also making the slippy slope argument. I would say it's very rare that people attempt to tip when you do a carry out. Christ, the idea that this is about to be "people at Target expect tips now" is a terrible idea.

I agree with DoWork. I used to get carts semi-frequently and do carry outs semi-frequently and was offered many a tip. I never took any tips, but I don't see the harm in it at all. I don't see the leap in logic that accepting offered tips for carry outs is going to destroy the tipping economy for jobs that require tips, but that's just me.

Tips and "directly stealing a $5 giftcard" are in way different playing fields.

Get off your high horse of morality hun. Nobody follows 100% of the rules 100% of the time, even you.

You are making a lot of assumptions here about how DoWork acts when he carries items out. You are also making the slippy slope argument. I would say it's very rare that people attempt to tip when you do a carry out. Christ, the idea that this is about to be "people at Target expect tips now" is a terrible idea.

I do work in a world of moral absolutes, and I do follow the rules to the letter. And yes, accepting a tip is different than stealing a giftcard. One is a a violation of target policy and the other is a violation of target policy and also a crime. Hope that clears it up for you.

As for me, I'm a 10+ year veteran of the restaurant industry who currently works primarily in the cash office. So those two bills that are clearly so stuck together the guest and cashier thought they were one? That second hundred isn't my tip regardless if it wouldn't unbalance that till. That pile of bills that is probably, almost definitely, could probably bet your life on being $50 in ones? Gets counted. That tray of pennies you dropped which shattered everywhere in the checklanes, which I could write off as an abberation, gets taped back together and accounted for.

I don't just know every trick in the book, I wrote half of them. If there's a cart attendant who "accepts" tips when they're "forced" upon him/her? There's five more who are hustlin for em.

So Target's policy says to deny the tip. I think this is just because a lot of people feel obligated to tip anytime they recieve a service. So when you're offered a tip you're supposed to let the guest know we cannot accept tips. But I too, do not see harm in keeping the money for yourself, in that rare instance, when a guest refuses to keep their money. Obviously Target doesn't want anybody to feel the need to tip at their stores.
"I had to tip at TARGET!" or "Fuck it, I'm not tipping anymore!" And you know who gets really, really screwed? The person making $2.13/hr and in debt to the house 3% every night.
This is exactly what they're trying to prevent. But when a guest insists so much on you taking that money, do you know who you are really screwing? Nobody. That guest wanted you to take the money and your acceptance of it will have no effect on his/her tipping habits at the next restaurant he/she visits.

I do work in a world of moral absolutes, and I do follow the rules to the letter. And yes, accepting a tip is different than stealing a giftcard. One is a a violation of target policy and the other is a violation of target policy and also a crime. Hope that clears it up for you.

As for me, I'm a 10+ year veteran of the restaurant industry who currently works primarily in the cash office. So those two bills that are clearly so stuck together the guest and cashier thought they were one? That second hundred isn't my tip regardless if it wouldn't unbalance that till. That pile of bills that is probably, almost definitely, could probably bet your life on being $50 in ones? Gets counted. That tray of pennies you dropped which shattered everywhere in the checklanes, which I could write off as an abberation, gets taped back together and accounted for.

I don't just know every trick in the book, I wrote half of them. If there's a cart attendant who "accepts" tips when they're "forced" upon him/her? There's five more who are hustlin for em.

All around a very very fallacious argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back