Archived Carry Out tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0% of this:
I do work in a world of moral absolutes, and I do follow the rules to the letter. And yes, accepting a tip is different than stealing a giftcard. One is a a violation of target policy and the other is a violation of target policy and also a crime. Hope that clears it up for you.

As for me, I'm a 10+ year veteran of the restaurant industry who currently works primarily in the cash office. So those two bills that are clearly so stuck together the guest and cashier thought they were one? That second hundred isn't my tip regardless if it wouldn't unbalance that till. That pile of bills that is probably, almost definitely, could probably bet your life on being $50 in ones? Gets counted. That tray of pennies you dropped which shattered everywhere in the checklanes, which I could write off as an abberation, gets taped back together and accounted for.

I don't just know every trick in the book, I wrote half of them.
Does anything to support this:
If there's a cart attendant who "accepts" tips when they're "forced" upon him/her? There's five more who are hustlin for em.
Also your final conclusion is a very hasty generalization. Your mentioning of 10 years exp. in restaurants is a sad appeal to authority that actually does nothing to shift anyone's mind. I also feel you're missing the point a little. The details you provide in your arguments do point to the conclusion that you can be very anal about money, but they do not support your intended conclusion. Therefore, by definition, you are missing the point.

I remember my first week on the job I got tipped, never having been told not to take it.

Since then I have been virtually-verbally abused, until I accept a tip on a couple occasions.

Try being a barista & declining tips.
I'd decline with a smile then ask if they could do me a favor & go on line for a survey instead, that it would do so much more for me.
They'd smile, take the slip &, when they thought I wasn't looking, wadded it up & tossed it in the trash.
If it was change, we'd put it in a small cup for folks who were a little short or needed change; bills always went into the drawer. At night's end, we emptied the cup into the drawer.

Okay, I'll bite.

You know why this frosts my cookie? Because there are people out there who NEED tips. Who LIVE ON TIPS. Waiters who are paid $2.13/hr (not kidding, look it up) who are forced to "tip out" 3% of their sales to bussers and bartenders. So, literally, they get to pay for the privilege of waiting on patrons who don't tip them. And this is not at all uncommon. Or pizza delivery drivers who pay for their own cars, their own gas, their own insurance, their own maintenance out of minimum wage.

And now the Starbucks baristas have their little jars out. Sure- they get paid an hourly that isn't artificially lowered to pass on the labor cost to the consumers, but tips are nice, right? And maybe if they start taking in enough, Starbucks can lower wages!

And now there's you, who just loaded an entertainment center into someone's SUV. Standing there with a smile, your hand not quite held out, but an expectant look on your face.

And people start railing against "tipping culture" and "why do I have to tip EVERYONE now?" and "I had to tip at TARGET!" or "Fuck it, I'm not tipping anymore!" And you know who gets really, really screwed? The person making $2.13/hr and in debt to the house 3% every night. Not you.

Yeah it's a cultural problem, and maybe paying adults less than three dollars an hour to do a job is horrible, but that doesn't excuse you from blatantly ignoring your employers policies and taking part in the problem at the same time. You make us all look bad.

I won't like your post, because I don't agree with your perspective. However, that "You know why this frosts my cookie" line is absolutely beautiful, and I am totally stealing that. I often say, "This really burns my toast" if I can't just say "pissed off."

@DoWork, while Jill's unusual, personally taken, butt-hurt rant was silly, there's one thing to remember. It IS actually against policy to take tips. So just make sure you're careful about doing so. Personally, I would avoid it at all costs, and only cave if cases where it was forced on me. If you've been given the "OK" to take tips, that awesome! More power to you! Though I don't think tipping CAs is very common anyway. Haha.

When I was in a grocery store, I would always use the excuse, "Nonsense, getting to go outside for once is a nice enough tip!" Or, something like that. It always seemed to work.

Try being a barista & declining tips.
I'd decline with a smile then ask if they could do me a favor & go on line for a survey instead, that it would do so much more for me.
They'd smile, take the slip &, when they thought I wasn't looking, wadded it up & tossed it in the trash.
If it was change, we'd put it in a small cup for folks who were a little short or needed change; bills always went into the drawer. At night's end, we emptied the cup into the drawer.

Oh, that's weird actually! I never noticed that about Target Starbucks. I could have sworn that other Starbucks had tip jars at least. Or maybe I'm mistaken. I've seen them in some Starbucks at least, but never Target's.

It IS actually against policy to take tips. So just make sure you're careful about doing so. Personally, I would avoid it at all costs, and only cave in cases where it was forced on me. If you've been given the "OK" to take tips, that awesome! More power to you!
Perfectly said!

My employers policies haven't been very beneficial lately. Lost hours, insurance, shift differential and probably vacation pay at year's end. Lost many hours of personal time covering for chronically absent employees my employer can't sanction. Employer moral high ground ?I'm livin the dream.

Oh, that's weird actually! I never noticed that about Target Starbucks. I could have sworn that other Starbucks had tip jars at least. Or maybe I'm mistaken. I've seen them in some Starbucks at least, but never Target's.
Starbucks stores are allowed tips & the jar is present but at Target-owned SB tips are strictly verboten.

I'll expand further since you went on an illogical rant. You don't have to tip anyone. Waitresses and waiters, it's expected of you. Pizza delivery drivers? Nope. The guy carrying your tv out? Nope. Maybe, just maybe, there are people unlike you, who may truly be grateful for good service that instead of offering a thank you and a smile(which is enough, for the record), they want to thank you by paying for your lunch. If you have a problem with other people being able to do that, I'm going to say someone took a nasty shit in your Cheerios for you to get so worked up over something that silly. You make humanity look bad. Getting that worked up over a few fucking dollars.
You must work in a crappy neighborhood. :cool: I've only ever had $50s or $100s pressed on me. It hurts to not take them.

It is against policy and is on the short list of immediate termination reasons.

I always declined and said we could not take tips but, if they insisted I was not going piss a guest of arguing with them. This was pretty common when sold Christmas trees and you would help load them up for a guest. If somebody wants to reward you for helping out and you decline and they insist it does not harm to take it. That anybody is making and issue of this beyond silly. I was at Target for a very long time and never saw anybody go after somebody for accepting a tip, and I have seen them go after people for the most petty things you can think of. In fact once loading something with my STL the guy forced money into my hand, my STL said keep we do not pay you enough anyway.

I also agree with whoever said to only take the tip if they won't take no for an answer. It's still forbidden. It's dumb, but it's still a rule and I'm sure someone somewhere cares about it.

I've been with target 10 years and we all are aware our cart attendants get tips. No one cares!!!!!! Like someone said earlier "don't ask, don't tell". It's a freaking tip to show appreciation, take it and enjoy it! You don't get paid enough for all the shit you do and clean up.... literally lol

I've been with target 10 years and we all are aware our cart attendants get tips. No one cares!!!!!! Like someone said earlier "don't ask, don't tell". It's a freaking tip to show appreciation, take it and enjoy it! You don't get paid enough for all the shit you do and clean up.... literally lol

No one cares now, until you get some shiny, bright college kid HR or AP ETL who decides to go by all the rules and start writing people up.
Spot wants to be the upscale place where people feel waited on hand and foot (of course without actually providing the hours to actually do that) and one of the things that could damage that image is having people with their hands out.
Now those of us who worked the service industries like to tip, hell I feel like a smuck if I don't tip a barista.
My daughter put herself through college on tips as a barista so I have to tip but you can't in any of the non freestanding Starbucks, so I don't try to force it on them.
I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

The few times I've been tipped, I've already handed it over to the LOD only for them to tell me to keep it and that they didn't see that or hear a word I just said. Always said no, repeat it three or four times before accepting because I can't sit in the parking lot all day and say no and explain policy repeatedly. Always feel guilty accepting them though, even if the LOD clears it.

I mean it's not like they're standing there with their hand out.. if I knew a CA was doing that then we would have a problem. If they are tipped it's randomly by someone who feels the need to tip for good service that's all. We are in a very rich area so they love to throw money around. It's their money let them do as they please. If a new ETL comes in and tries to make a big deal about I believe even our STL would shut the ETL down. Asants....

I think as long as no one is asking for or expecting a tip, I don't see a lot of harm in it if someone feels like doing so. But knowing there's an actual policy in place for it, I wouldn't feel safe taking money. Eyes and ears everywhere. I don't want management to have an easy time finding a reason to fire me if they ever need to get rid of bodies.

I decline the tip, then point at my nametag and tell them to call Coporate and tell them how awesome I was.

'Bout time you got back, Kman.
Thought we were gonna have to call a Code Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back