Archived Cart Attendant And Disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of these happen at once. And even if they do, the GSTL should call for help for a hardlines member to do a carryout. Or call LOD for a backup solution. You just gotta communicate and you'll get help from the team.

All I can say is I will never pick up another carts shift on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday ever again

But those are the good days. You're left even more alone because they know you can't stop hustling carts.

Saturday is the only REAL busy day. Sunday ain't shit, but Friday IS the 2nd busiest... but it's not that bad.

Saturdays can be a beeyotch, especially when you have a lot of broken carts lined up in the graveyard.

So let me start off by saying that without knowing more about your disability I hesitate to give you specific advise.
I waited until I could talk to my ADA expert and a counselor here at DVR.
They said to talk to your doctor first and find out what they say your physical capacities are, get it in writing if you can.
The problem is there is no way to accommodate you for CA so they will have to switch jobs and while that shouldn't be a problem, the most likely option is going to be cashier.
Can you stand in one spot all day or will that be an issue as well?
There's a big difference between what you can do and what you should do concerning your disability.
My recommendation would be to check out DVR and see what they can offer.
This.
Actual advice.

Thanks for reposting that - we probably overlooked it the first time it was posted.

Talk to HR first. If they’re worth their salt, they will start an interactive ada accommodation process. They’ll get you a copy of your core roles and the paperwork that you will need to have your doctor fill out and bring back, usually within a couple of weeks. Keep open lines of communication with your HR if you won’t be able to have the doctor fill out the info before the due date.

When you come back with the paperwork you and the HR will meet together and go over your job description line by line and give a rating of R, Y, or G for if you can’t do that role, can do it most of the time or with accommodation, and green for if you can do it now no issue. After that’s done you both should brainstorm for reasonable accommodations where you will need them. HR will not agree to any accommodation until they have further partnered with HRBP and legal as needed.

It’s definitely interactive and y’all will most likely come to some sort of agreement, whether it’s an accommodation to help you perform that role or possibly moving into another open job that you can fulfill with or without reasonable accommodations. Just be aware that Target is not legally required to create a new role for you (like something completely different from any other job...think like someone who just wipes down tables in cafe/Starbucks for example), nor are they required to create a job opening or move you into a workcenter where there are no job openings (making you a cashier when they do not have the hours for or a business need for another cashier).

CA is actually a very coveted position. You are like your own boss. A sheep farmer of sorts. You tend to your herd of carts. You collect them, move them around. You get to use heavy equipment. You are outside in breeze all the time. You can just spend hours in the parking lot, chasing that one last cart that got pushed way too far. A squeaky wheel has the essence of a squeaky swing on the porch of a sheep farmer.
Unlimited breaks, tips, a sense of accomplishment when all your carts are accounted for. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side, maybe its the smell of CO2 emitted from cars driving by... I often stand by the doors and envy the CA and his carts.
Yes I actually agree. The six months I did it when I was a TM (and did flow so I got 11 hr shifts 3 days a week) I got to be left alone. However, it was grueling. On the other hand I got 40k steps from Fitbit

Yes I actually agree. The six months I did it when I was a TM (and did flow so I got 11 hr shifts 3 days a week) I got to be left alone. However, it was grueling. On the other hand I got 40k steps from Fitbit
Win, win!

I try to be as friendly and warm with my cart attendants as I can. But they know my expectations. Heck if they’re super slumped I will even go grab carts myself to help out!

Sounds like great motivators. Got you to stay and work through the pain. Now that’s leadership!

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Talked to HR, moving to cashier soonish. Guess my name on here doesn't make sense anymore lol

Just put "Not anymore" under your name.

But, you WILL still be going out and getting carts - just not so intensely.

Yea, no... there are a couple more things that I love doing!!!

So as you guys know, I was told I would be transferring to the cashier but they haven't transferred me yet. Today the store manager got on to me about how badly we need carts and how I wasn't cutting it the day before. (The day prior to my *poor* performance I worked an 8.5-hour shift on carts) Mind you, I have a disability and I am honestly working my butt to the point that most days after work (especially in the A.M.) I can't walk due to the pain. I know it can sound like I'm complaining a lot but this is a big issue for me. It honestly made me want to leave the place entirely. Not sure what the point of this update is, just frustrated I guess.

It's interesting that someone with a known walking disability would be assigned a CA position.

They knew about it, right?

There's no reason why they couldn't give you cashier shifts. There are never enough reliable cashiers.

I mean my disability is blatantly obvious if you see me walk (Which they did and do every day I'm there). If anything I would think that once I let them know it's an issue they would try to fix it as soon as possible.

I'd be skedaddling if they didn't start working with you ASAP.

I mean my disability is blatantly obvious if you see me walk (Which they did and do every day I'm there). If anything I would think that once I let them know it's an issue they would try to fix it as soon as possible.
You did communication to hr on how much it hurts? Incident reports may need to filled out.
Per @sigma7 suggestion:

Talk to HR first. If they’re worth their salt, they will start an interactive ada accommodation process. They’ll get you a copy of your core roles and the paperwork that you will need to have your doctor fill out and bring back, usually within a couple of weeks. Keep open lines of communication with your HR if you won’t be able to have the doctor fill out the info before the due date.

When you come back with the paperwork you and the HR will meet together and go over your job description line by line and give a rating of R, Y, or G for if you can’t do that role, can do it most of the time or with accommodation, and green for if you can do it now no issue. After that’s done you both should brainstorm for reasonable accommodations where you will need them. HR will not agree to any accommodation until they have further partnered with HRBP and legal as needed.

It’s definitely interactive and y’all will most likely come to some sort of agreement, whether it’s an accommodation to help you perform that role or possibly moving into another open job that you can fulfill with or without reasonable accommodations. Just be aware that Target is not legally required to create a new role for you (like something completely different from any other job...think like someone who just wipes down tables in cafe/Starbucks for example), nor are they required to create a job opening or move you into a workcenter where there are no job openings (making you a cashier when they do not have the hours for or a business need for another cashier).
Thanks
sigma7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back