Archived Cart Attendant And Disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been a CA for about a month now. Originally I thought I could handle it physically but now I am not so sure. Aside from the sunburns that put a damper on the job, I have a physical disability. One that is pretty obvious too. I accepted the job thinking that I would be able to manage it (I used to play sports in high school and workout regularly) but honestly, I don't know. There will be days where I can't get out of bed the next day. I force myself to go in any way if I'm scheduled but on those days my performance is lacking from the pain. I don't want to quit the job, but maybe I'm just not right for it physically.

Talk to HR. They are the ones best positioned to move you to another area.

Also, look at your rights under the ADA. Remember that Your employer does not have to use your preferred accommodation, but must reasonably accommodate a disability. But I would go in with an idea of two or three other workcenters that you absolutely can do (with or without accomodation).

You can do it, you shouldn’t let your disability keep you from doing what you love. If you’ve always wanted to be a CA. Now is your chance to be the best CA you can be. Its a very competitive field. There must something about you, that gave you an edge despite your disability. I would not mess this chance up.

g37WhLL.gif

CA is actually a very coveted position. You are like your own boss. A sheep farmer of sorts. You tend to your herd of carts. You collect them, move them around. You get to use heavy equipment. You are outside in breeze all the time. You can just spend hours in the parking lot, chasing that one last cart that got pushed way too far. A squeaky wheel has the essence of a squeaky swing on the porch of a sheep farmer.
Unlimited breaks, tips, a sense of accomplishment when all your carts are accounted for. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side, maybe its the smell of CO2 emitted from cars driving by... I often stand by the doors and envy the CA and his carts.

"cart attendant there's a spill"

"cart attendant can you go outside and get more carts"

"cart attendant the trash is overflowing"

"cart attendant can you do a basket run"

"cart attendant can you jump on a checklane"

"cart attendant can you take back defectives"

"cart attendant can you do four carryouts at once"

Yes please, may I have some more?

Last edited:
CA is actually a very coveted position. You are like your own boss. A sheep farmer of sorts. You tend to your herd of carts. You collect them, move them around. You get to use heavy equipment. You are outside in breeze all the time. You can just spend hours in the parking lot, chasing that one last cart that got pushed way too far. A squeaky wheel has the essence of a squeaky swing on the porch of a sheep farmer.
Unlimited breaks, tips, a sense of accomplishment when all your carts are accounted for. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side, maybe its the smell of CO2 emitted from cars driving by... I often stand by the doors and envy the CA and his carts.

Awww someone is growing up on this site. Lol

I would rather do cart attendant work rather than being an HR team member sitting on my ass all day.

Not all of these happen at once. And even if they do, the GSTL should call for help for a hardlines member to do a carryout. Or call LOD for a backup solution. You just gotta communicate and you'll get help from the team.

So let me start off by saying that without knowing more about your disability I hesitate to give you specific advise.
I waited until I could talk to my ADA expert and a counselor here at DVR.
They said to talk to your doctor first and find out what they say your physical capacities are, get it in writing if you can.
The problem is there is no way to accommodate you for CA so they will have to switch jobs and while that shouldn't be a problem, the most likely option is going to be cashier.
Can you stand in one spot all day or will that be an issue as well?
There's a big difference between what you can do and what you should do concerning your disability.
My recommendation would be to check out DVR and see what they can offer.

I've grabbed carts in Texas summer heat, blasting sleet, pouring rain (yoga moms: Aren't there any DRY carts?"), nearly gotten hit by cars (in a vest honking the cart-mover horn. thankyouverymuch), cleaned out overflowing toilets clogged with items swapped out for shoplifted merch, done carry-outs (including the guy who insisted he could shove a fully-assembled desk into the back of his SUV, so he did - ripping the headliner) to name a few.
Most days it's a full-body work-out (also known as the Target Wellness Program).
Important question: Did leadership know of your physical limitations when you were hired?
If not, do as others have advised: see your doctor for documentation for your condition & sit down with your HR to see about moving to a less physically-demanding work area but BE CLEAR about what you CAN & CAN'T do.
If you withheld any info, you may not have a leg to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back