Archived cash office issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I need help from any of you who know cash office! The past couple of weeks I have twice gotten a message when entering my deposit into the CP4000 that my safe is overdrawn. Yesterday it was overdrawn by the amount of 50's I had, for example. When I went into Workbench and followed the procedure for this I ended up not being able to go back in and edit my deposit the way it said I could so it looked like we were way off in balancing. I tried to call the number we had for our sales audit and apparently our numbers are out of date because I got the message that the number was no longer a working Target number. I ended up sending an e-mail to Sales Audit telling them what was going on, but I still don't have a good feeling about it.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

A few times I forgot to count a 50 or 100 in the location count and when I entered those bills in the deposit it would tell me I overdrew the safe because I suddenly had more bills than I accounted for. I always went back to the location count and added it to the register I thought it most likely came from. If it's not letting you do that or I'm an idiot and this doesn't relate to your problem at all you should still be covered since you sent an e-mail to the auditor letting them know of potential discrepancies.

Advice from my CO mentor: go back & verify ALL your denominations before you do the transfer to safe.
Before you save your last loc count, slide the denom curser all the way to the RIGHT; it will show you your total count for each type of bill. Click your cursor in the LEFT (verify) field while running your bills thru. If you had unused start funds, remember to include them in your count (don't break the straps, just mentally add them to the total).
This way you'll be able to see any discrepancies BEFORE it's too late & before you prepare your deposit.
If it doesn't let you do the deposit, you can leave the strapped bills in the safe & include them in tomorrow's deposit when the correction allows.
And auditors are now in India so you'll have to email them after the fact.

If the safe was off by the amount of $50's you had, you perhaps forgot to include the $50's in transferring to safe?

When transferring to safe, I always recount the larger denomination bills first... I started with $100's, then $50's, etc. If those balance, right off the bat, I can continue. If not, it's because I didn't catch a 50 in the 100, or vice versa.

When prepping the deposit, don't forget that you can the bills through the bill counter and it will calculate it for it.

I always recommend running it through the bill counter, regardless of how many it is. I don't know if they can tell or not if the numbers were hand-added or came from the counter, but in case of an audit, I feel better knowing I can just say, "Well I always re-run everything through the counter, except for strapped money."

Always remember that - even if you can't fix it but you KNOW why you were off/how it occurred - you can always accept the adjustment & inform CSA via email. This gives them a heads up of what to look for & they can adjust accordingly.
If you simply take the adjustment without any explanation, your AP will hear about it.

Thanks, guys; I am 100% positive I keyed everything correctly when transferring to safe, but I did send the e-mail to cover my butt. All the auditors are now in India?! That explains why I can't get a hold of anyone by phone anymore. Argh....

Its been a while since I've been in the cash office, but if you overdraw your safe its most likely an error in your deposit. I'd verify the deposit in the system to what you actually have for your deposit and you should be all set. If you've over drawn your safe, you have to find the issue as you can't save that adjustment. If you were off on your transfer, and you cannot find your error, just save it a email sales audit. It will even out the next day.

Yup, if you're overdrawn when you enter the deposit amount, it means you didn't enter something on the transfer to safe section, like if you were like, hmmm, where did these 100s come from, oh, I'll just enter them into the deposit.
You will get the overdrawn message. We just put a post-it on them, put them on the door where the coin sits and tell the next person which bag they may have come out of. That, or we just always enter odd money into 071 as the default bag.

When one of the kids 'forgot' to include $100s & $50s in the transfer, the safe was overdrawn so she left them in the safe; they were added in the safe count (which then showed an overage) but the adjustment was taken & an email sent to CSA.
Next day, the balance reset itself & the large bills were added to the next day's deposit.

Our CO computer has been acting up and doing weird things, so that may have been the cause. (Not that I couldn't have made a mistake! LOL) Past couple of days have been fine, so who knows! Thanks for the input everyone.

I can't remember the last time I contacted a sales audit person...probably back when they were in MN still. I don't contact them and they've never contacted us, to my knowledge. It all washes out in the system in one way or another.

Advice from my CO mentor: go back & verify ALL your denominations before you do the transfer to safe.
Before you save your last loc count, slide the denom curser all the way to the RIGHT; it will show you your total count for each type of bill. Click your cursor in the LEFT (verify) field while running your bills thru. If you had unused start funds, remember to include them in your count (don't break the straps, just mentally add them to the total).
This way you'll be able to see any discrepancies BEFORE it's too late & before you prepare your deposit.
If it doesn't let you do the deposit, you can leave the strapped bills in the safe & include them in tomorrow's deposit when the correction allows.
And auditors are now in India so you'll have to email them after the fact.

This this this! While counting start strapping your ones into 50s and 100s, and after you count all locations, recount your entire amount to make sure it equals what the system says.

If it doesn't, try find where you messed up, and maybe just slow down while counting.

I balanced to the penny for months straight in there, and always made sure I checked everything before doing transfer to safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back