Archived Cashering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow is my first shift as purely a cashier. I'm an Electronic's Team Member so obviously I know how to use the registers, I've responded to back ups, and I had cashier training so I'm not too worried about the actual process of cashiering.

I just have a few questions:

• Where do I go firstly to be put on a register?
  • How do breaks/lunch work as a cashier?
  • And, finally, is working an 8 hour day as a cashier hard? Or is it relatively easy? And by that I mean is it physically hard on your feet, stressful, that kind of stuff.

I just don't want to eff up, ya know.

Thanks!

1. Check the cashier run-down schedule that is laid out by the GSA/GSTL, or communicate with them.
2. The rundown will have the approximate break schedule. But the GSA/GSTL will be responsible of communicating to you when you are officially able to go.
3. Stretch and be pro-active, and walk and zone the lanes and surrounding areas. Push stranded carts to the cart well. Also greet the guests and guide them to your lanes. This will get you out and away from the register well. Just be sure to move around and don't lock your knees or legs.

Last edited:
I had a 5 hour shift yesterday and it was my first day on the registers alone.

My feet and the back of my legs were killing me and i'm pretty fit. It was not anything too serious though.

Your manager should come up to you and tell you when you're X amount of time from your break. Just remember to flick off your light when you are about to leave so people will stop coming to your lane.

And, finally, is working an 8 hour day as a cashier hard? Or is it relatively easy? And by that I mean is it physically hard on your feet, stressful, that kind of stuff.

My feet and the back of my legs were killing me and i'm pretty fit. It was not anything too serious though.

It can be tough on your legs and feet at first if you're not used to standing in one place for long periods of time, but you get used to it after a while. Though it does help if you get an opportunity to step out of your lane and zone, etc. Also, since it's an 8 hour shift, you should get a lunch and 2 15s depending on your state, so it'll go by pretty quickly. I've found that the shorter the shift is (or the fewer breaks I get), the longer it seems to take to go by.

At my store, we just hop on where ever we want, generally sticking to one side of the store and try to do every other lane. Other stores may do closer assigning.

Your GSA/GSTL will let you know, but they run about the same for cashiers as they do everyone else. Just ask when your next one will be if they don't let you know.

Oddly enough, my feet and legs don't generally hurt. It's usually my back from bending over to bag (and I'm short!). Try to encourage guests to keep larger items in the cart. It gives you a chance to move and stretch while you find the UPC as well as save your back and arms.

If you have two rows of registers, try to use one of the lanes that are closer to the doors (they should have even numbers). That way, back-ups from the sales floor can use the farther back row (odd numbers).

Your best bet is to just ask your GSTL where they want you (pro tip: you can also ask when your breaks are at this point so you know ahead of time). After a while, you'll figure out which lanes they like you to use.

If you use a Speed ID, write your assigned break times on it so you remember when to go.

So tomorrow is my first shift as purely a cashier. I'm an Electronic's Team Member so obviously I know how to use the registers, I've responded to back ups, and I had cashier training so I'm not too worried about the actual process of cashiering.

I just have a few questions:

• Where do I go firstly to be put on a register?
  • How do breaks/lunch work as a cashier?
  • And, finally, is working an 8 hour day as a cashier hard? Or is it relatively easy? And by that I mean is it physically hard on your feet, stressful, that kind of stuff.

I just don't want to eff up, ya know.

Thanks!

You probably already know this as an electronics TM, but remember to sign out of your register if you walk away for any period of time. And make a fast pass (forgot what they're actually called) to sign in quickly.

You probably already know this as an electronics TM, but remember to sign out of your register if you walk away for any period of time. And make a fast pass (forgot what they're actually called) to sign in quickly.

This. It always bothers me when people don't sign out of the registers lol. And the fast pass is called a Speed ID (see previous posts).

At my store they have a cashier breakout posted with register assignments and break schecules. And they have one cashier that covers breaks. It works out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back