Archived Cashier → GSA → GSTL Timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
I'm not interested in moving up right away, and from what I've read around here, GSA doesn't make anything more money-wise than a regular cashier.

However, I was wondering what the general timeline is to move into this position if I were to show interest, and if such a position is even open.

Could you also tell me what they'd be looking for? Be it schedule flexibility, knowledge, seniority, experience, cross-training. Anything helps!

What you’re asking is a little bit complicated, because it all depends on your store. I would say honestly that the most important thing, obviously, is being guest service trained, but I’ve seen GSAs promoted from the sales floor or other areas that have no guest service training. I would say seniority as well, since team members that have been around for a while are more likely to be seen as trustworthy, knowledgeable, and are probably friendly with leadership which is important.

I think it is important to be cross-trained, at least in basic hardlines, how to fulfill an order pickup, food ave and Starbucks in case they need a break covered. But, I’m not sure they would really care about that at your store when hiring a new GSA; at my store seniority and knowing guest service is most important. Good attendance and independence (not calling over the GSA for things that could be handled on your own) are also pretty important!

If you talk to your GSTL or ETL-GE, tell them you’re interested in becoming a GSA and then possibly a team lead, they’ll tell you what exactly they’re looking for at your store. Ask if you can have a mentor.

Also: in regards to a general timeline, there isn’t really one. I’ve seen people get the GSA position after five years of working at Target, my own GSTL was promoted after a few months and then was promoted to GSTL after a year of being a GSA. Depends on different factors in your store

Last edited:
My store is so desperate that they are seriously considering giving GSA to a TM who's been there all of 2 weeks because of his/her previous jobs.

To move up in any fashion from Cashier.

First, express your interest to advance to your GSTL and ETL. And...
  • Cross train on all Front End functions
  • Promote the hell out of the RedCard
  • Show a willingness to support your team and train new TMs

My store is so desperate that they are seriously considering giving GSA to a TM who's been there all of 2 weeks because of his/her previous jobs.
I can't see that ending well.

Why is that bad if said TM had a similar role at another employer?

It's possible that the newly hired TM hasn't fully gotten all of Target's nuances or earned the respective of the TMs that they will now be psuedo supervising. Even if someone else didn't want the position, it can be problematic.

I'm not interested in moving up right away, and from what I've read around here, GSA doesn't make anything more money-wise than a regular cashier.

However, I was wondering what the general timeline is to move into this position if I were to show interest, and if such a position is even open.

Could you also tell me what they'd be looking for? Be it schedule flexibility, knowledge, seniority, experience, cross-training. Anything helps!

You don't have to be a GSA to be a GSTL. Though it will help you. If your interested, talk to your ETL or STL. They will give you feed back on what they need to see. Start looking at a process you can take ownership over. You will need examples for your bench interview. As for how long it takes depends on alot of things some might even be store specific. It took me a year to get on the bench and 6 months for a TL position.

I've seen cashiers train for just one month before moving into a GSA position. It's nuts. They didn't train for the GSA position for one month.. that one month was their first month here. I might be over-exaggerating, they either got hired to do GSA, or they just hit their 90 days, but it felt FAST at the time when GSA was actually a promotion.

At my store we have 2 GSTL's. At one point we had 3 but two left along with all the GSA's and after that great exodus 2 positions for GSTL was all we had. They moved a TL from another department to take over the one GSTL position. That person went on an extended leave after about 6 months. As long as the job was held for the GSTL they will not hire another. After about a year with one GSTL, they termed the one on leave and moved an overnight team leader to the open GSTL position. So as long as the one GSTL that has been there 10+ years and no other TL from any other department want the other GSTL position if open, then no GSA's will become a GSTL at my store. Usually the better GSA's move on to something bigger and better within 8-18 months. The not so good GSA's are usually scheduled for guest service and Target finds another cashier willing to take the GSA role and rides them as hard as they can until they either quit or do a crappy job.

Dog covered most of it. Really its all up to store and:

-Attendance
- GS training (although I disagree with additional workcenters)
- Time in role
- Covering GSTL/GSA breaks
- Coming in if they call you in
- Availability
- Guest Service

If a store needs a gstl they will take anyone. GSA is easy to get as long as you do the above. GSTL might take a bit longer since there are only so many positions available. Most of the time it would be a lot easier to interview and get the position at another store than your current store. As for timeframe..... cashier>gsa 3-5 months at the earliest (although if your pushing over a year and you told them your interested I would jump ship) ....... gsa>tl 1.5-2 years.

Edit: Also they threw out the redcard metric so don't worry about that. SCO metric is the new in =P

My store always tried to groom me for GSA position I even basically kept their shortage down by just being a SCO God. I remember the one time I was by myself all the way to 10 am no gs or cash tms only sco until the C/O person comes out. Thankfully I asked for cross training the moment I got my performance review I went to salesfloor but that even didn’t last long as now I’m logistics having to do Flexfill when no one wants or am the only one in backroom. My store doesn’t see it in me to permanently go consumables full time. I’m sad about that

No, sorry I should of been more specific. The new FE metric is % of transactions done at SCO compared to the lanes.
Ahhh SCO utilage has always been measured I didn’t realize some stores actually track it though.

I've seen some people promoted from cashier to GSA in a matter of weeks from being hired and for others it took nearly a year. However it relies heavily on what positions are open. As others have already stated, let your GE know that you're interested and in the mean time try to get switched over to service desk. Succeeding in that position will prove that you have handle the stress and stand on your own.

From GSA to GSTL I'd say 12 to 18 months. If your GE is developing you properly, you should be ready for the GSTL position by then. If there's an opening at your store, go for the promotion. If not, you have a choice to either wait around for a TL position to open up (GSAs are considered for other TL positions as well) or look to see if other stores in your district have any openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back