Archived Cashier Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I just got hired as a seasonal cashier and my first day was yesterday!
However, I'm still confused on a few things.

What are some common grocery codes so I can start memorizing some of them? I felt horrible when it took me what felt like a whole minute just looking for the code of the item. The only codes I know are bananas which is 4011 and apples have stickers with the number.

How would I handle a dispute about a sale price? I remember getting shown how to use the inquiry price button but should I tell them the sale terms or give it to them because of the 'customer is always right' policy? How would I enter in a coupon to fix that? Should I still notify a TL or GSTL about it just incase it's something on the shelves that didn't get taken down?

Thank you! I'm working again the day before Thanksgiving and Black Friday so I'm extremely nervous.
P.S. Any tips on keeping my job after the season is over?

What are some common grocery codes so I can start memorizing some of them? I felt horrible when it took me what felt like a whole minute just looking for the code of the item. The only codes I know are bananas which is 4011 and apples have stickers with the number.

Bananas - 8011 (the stickers say 4011, but we always use 8011 instead)
Avocados - 4225
Cucumbers - 9062
Oranges - 3107
Yellow Onions - 4666 (easy for me to remember since I don't like onions lol)

Those are the only ones I can remember offhand. Are you in a P-Fresh or Super Target store? Perishables are easier at a P-Fresh store because for non-bagged produce, you type in the quantity instead of weighing the item, and meat can always be scanned because it's pre-weighed and barcoded.

How would I handle a dispute about a sale price? I remember getting shown how to use the inquiry price button but should I tell them the sale terms or give it to them because of the 'customer is always right' policy? How would I enter in a coupon to fix that? Should I still notify a TL or GSTL about it just incase it's something on the shelves that didn't get taken down?

As a cashier, you are empowered to "make it right for the guest." If it doesn't sound reasonable or you otherwise feel uncomfortable with making the adjustment, ask your GSTL/GSA. If you're changing a price, don't enter it as a coupon; hit K1 to Change Price, enter the amount, then hit K2 for Guest Price Challenge.

All price challenges are accounted for by the LOD via the Price Challenge Verification (PCV). The PCV directs the LOD to the locations of each adjusted item so they can see what's going on and, if needed, fix the problem (take down expired sale signs, delegate a TM to zone a messy aisle, etc.).

I remember the banana codes from my days at the super. I used to have a lot more of them memorized. 9+PLU is used for most organics. This is everything I can remember from my current store. I'm pretty sure this is everything I carry that doesn't have a barcode (must key PLU or DPCI). These are all for PFresh stores, although the PLU might be the same between Pfresh and Supers depending on how the PLUs are set up in each store by HQ.

Bananas by the each 8011
Bananas by the lb. 4011
Organic bananas by the lb. 94011
Large navel oranges 3107
Limes 4048
Lemons 4958
Small avocados 4046
Red onions 4085
White onions 4066
Yellow onions 4666
Russet potatoes 4725
Sweet potatoes 9091
Cucumber 9062
Cantaloupe 4050
Seedless watermelon personal size 4032
Mango 4051
Granny smith apples 4575
Red delicious apples 4169
Pink lady apples 4180
Gala apples 4205
Fuji apples 4216
Honeycrisp apples 4196
Hothouse tomatoes 4798
Cauliflower 4062
Red bell pepper 4688
Green bell pepper 9681
Anjou pear 3016
Pomegranate 4775
Full size watermelon seedless 267-04-0002 (DPCI, can't remember PLU)

I'm never sure how to deal with the wrong clearance sticker on an item. Do I scan the bar code and then code it in as a guest challenge, or ad substitution or do I just key in the dpci for the clearance sticker even though it indicates the wrong item. If multiple ones are wrong in the same dept from multiple guests for example if I get several shower curtains that are regular price but marked clearance, I try to mention it to GSTL. If it is more than a $20 difference or if the guest has multiple incorrect stickers for different items in the cart I do call someone over. Other than that anything else I should know or be doing.

Crikey! I'm glad my store isn't a Super Target!

Then, again....

I'm never sure how to deal with the wrong clearance sticker on an item. Do I scan the bar code and then code it in as a guest challenge, or ad substitution or do I just key in the dpci for the clearance sticker even though it indicates the wrong item. If multiple ones are wrong in the same dept from multiple guests for example if I get several shower curtains that are regular price but marked clearance, I try to mention it to GSTL. If it is more than a $20 difference or if the guest has multiple incorrect stickers for different items in the cart I do call someone over. Other than that anything else I should know or be doing.
If you have an item that is coming up regular price and has a clearance sticker, price inquiry the clearance sticker to get a item description.

There are two reasons:

1. Some pricing changes can get rushed, and a mass amount of clearance stickers for 1 or 2 DPCI's are created. If the clearance sticker DPCI is of similiar description to said item, and is priced within an appropriate range. Then scan the regular item and price change it.

2. If the clearance sticker is different from the actual item...its more likely a ticket switch. I would get the GSA/GSTL into play so they can refuse the item.

Never seen a cashier memorize most of the produce codes at my store, just bananas usually, certainly no need for memorizing them.

Never seen a cashier memorize most of the produce codes at my store, just bananas usually, certainly no need for memorizing them.
We have laminated produce cards on each register in case produce is missing the stickers.

Bananas - 8011 (the stickers say 4011, but we always use 8011 instead)
Avocados - 4225
Cucumbers - 9062
Oranges - 3107
Yellow Onions - 4666 (easy for me to remember since I don't like onions lol)

Those are the only ones I can remember offhand. Are you in a P-Fresh or Super Target store? Perishables are easier at a P-Fresh store because for non-bagged produce, you type in the quantity instead of weighing the item, and meat can always be scanned because it's pre-weighed and barcoded.

As a cashier, you are empowered to "make it right for the guest." If it doesn't sound reasonable or you otherwise feel uncomfortable with making the adjustment, ask your GSTL/GSA. If you're changing a price, don't enter it as a coupon; hit K1 to Change Price, enter the amount, then hit K2 for Guest Price Challenge.

All price challenges are accounted for by the LOD via the Price Challenge Verification (PCV). The PCV directs the LOD to the locations of each adjusted item so they can see what's going on and, if needed, fix the problem (take down expired sale signs, delegate a TM to zone a messy aisle, etc.).
please learn the difference between yellow onions and white. yellow have yellow skin. it doesn't describe a white inside. most new cashiers run them all as white.

as a cashier, ask everyone about the red card. it'll help your scores. promote the surveys you had a great interaction.

One of my biggest annoyance is the way you have to ring up fruit and vegs. That stupid code and the annoying feeling of having to count how much they have when it's jam packed in a plastic bag just screams bad system to me. I know I'm not the only one who was faced with some fruit or whatever that made you go "what the hell is this"? My store at least started putting the stickers on the products with the code on them.

Today was my very first day of trainging on an actual register. I feel that I have most of it down, but need help with the "inquiry price" button
So today I scanned two water bottles for a guest, they were simular with different designs and a .49 cent price difference. The guest brought it to my attention that the water bottles were in the same spot, so they should be the same price..... and from there on I was lost. I was able to ask another cashier for help. He tried to show me, but it was really fast and all I can remeber him doing and saying was something about the "inquiry price"
button. How do I check the correct price step-by-step? HELP PLEASE!! Thanks. :)

The only codes I know by memory are bananas, yellow onions for some reason, and avocados. The banana code is the nearly the same from all other grocery stores for some reason, either 4011 or 8011, so it's stuck with me.

Off the top of my head, I know bananas, cucumbers, avocados, tomatoes, red and green peppers, oranges, three different apples, and the onions.

Hopefully I won't ever lose this job. What else would I do with all this useless knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back