Archived Cashier Training...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have my first training (+ first day at Target) on Monday. I will be getting trained for cashiering. Can anyone give me some info as to what the training will entail? I'm a little nervous...

training for cashier:
  • how to greet people
  • how to ring stuff up
  • how to tell if a bill is fake or real (at least my store has us do this, yours could be different)
  • when to ask for RedCards
  • how to say good bye to guests
  • what to do when it's not busy
It's pretty basic stuff. No need to worry. Some new team members get scared but after a while you get the hang of it.

Be prepared to make mistakes, and let them go. Most guests will understand it's your first day. My first half hour of being on a register I was consistently forgetting to hand people their stuff. It happens.

Training should (depending on how good your store is) include:

• There's a little book you're supposed to run through on a training mode register, although at my store HR just had you read the book.
  • You'll shadow a trainer (any cashier they think is doing well enough to train people) for anywhere from 30 minutes to an entire shift.
  • After that, you will take over running the register as your trainer watches you and makes sure you do everything right.
  • You will do all of this logged in under your trainer's numbers, and after your first shift, the GSTL will turn your number on and have you set a PIN. Use this to log in each time.

You should learn:
  • How to greet people and be friendly (my trainer showed me little touches they did that made guests feel more appreciated like "do you want the hangers" "Would you like a gift receipt" mostly little questions most cashiers don't ask.
  • How to ring stuff up, and the other functions of the register.
  • Depending on store, using counterfeit checking devices. My store uses the red things that beep at you, your store may use those, pens, or nothing.
  • When and how to ask for a RedCard, and how that process works.
  • Idle time activities, like cleaning up your checklane and such.
My tips for cashiering:
  • Be friendly to each guest and greet each guest the same (this is because some guests will get angry if you don't treat them exactly like the one before, possibly pulling the race card)
  • Accuracy first, and then speed. My trainer said to me "For your first two weeks, pretend the speed score isn't even there." As you get more familiar with the register, and more accurate with your scanning, speed will improve.
  • Fix A Mistake is your friend. Scan the receipt, key the VCD, and hit the Fix A Mistake button. This way you can fix some things (missed discount/coupon, double scan) on the spot which will make the guest happier than if they had to wait in line at guest services for the same result.
  • Remove security devices (spider wraps, alcohol locks, and clamshell cases) as the guest is paying on the card reader. This will save some time. Just don't forget them! Spider wraps especially, if they are not removed and pass through the security towers, they start going off really loudly.
  • When the cash drawer is open, it gets your full attention. Some people will try to scam you by doing what's called "quick-changing" which is confusing you into giving them more money than they need. My rule of thumb is that once I key in the amount of cash, that is all I will accept. If the guest hands you two 20's ask them "out of 40?" this gives them the time to say things like "wait I have 37 cents" and stops quick change scammers in their tracks, because the whole scam depends on you shuffling money around to make their change.
  • Make it your own! Add your own little gimmick you do that's beyond what the register tells you to say "Thanks! You saved XXX.XX today" doesn't cut it for me, I try to have my own more friendly send-off for each guest. An example is if a guest buys diapers, talk to them about their baby and at the end say "tell your little one hi for me!" it makes them feel more appreciated.
Don't worry about being overwhelmed at first, it's a lot of information to take in in a short amount of time.

When you're finished ringing up the guest & while they're swiping their card, walk around & put their bags in their cart (if they have one).
Doing this helps you:
-spot items underneath or under the kiddie seat that were missed/not rung up
-prevent paid & left items
-get a chance to flex/stretch your legs after standing in one spot
-provide a final touch of good guest service.

It would be so awesome if Spot started using the rotating triple bag holder thingie.

Make it controlled by a switch or foot pedal under the cashier's counter somewhere like the belt switch

We activate their #'s before having them use the register in training mode. They definitely don't work on the trainer's #'s. Doing so sounds like a terrible idea, and would personally make me watch the trainee like a hawk which I'm sure would make them uncomfortable, but I wouldn't trust a random new hire to use my #'s under any circumstance.

We activate their #'s before having them use the register in training mode. They definitely don't work on the trainer's #'s. Doing so sounds like a terrible idea, and would personally make me watch the trainee like a hawk which I'm sure would make them uncomfortable, but I wouldn't trust a random new hire to use my #'s under any circumstance.

What happens if their numbers aren't in the system yet? We've had a few trainees in that situation; they had to do punch forms because they couldn't clock in, and I have no idea how they handled cashier training.

What happens if their numbers aren't in the system yet? We've had a few trainees in that situation; they had to do punch forms because they couldn't clock in, and I have no idea how they handled cashier training.
Usually they ring under the trainer's account or a temporary ID from the GSTL.

Yeah, we do have them use someone else's #'s in that scenario, but it isn't the intention for them to use someone else's #'s unless absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back