Archived Cashier vs Guest Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, more like a meager 3 ring binder with a couple sheets of instructions and an envelope with training payment methods, but yeah.

Yes...."eaches" what a goofy word, but it does explain why a banana is 19 cents or an apple is 99 cents! However, many guests don't stop long enough to see "each" and then get mad when they find out we charge by the piece!!

And I completely agree about updating the cashier training books. It seems like it has been too many years since it was updated.....somehow I'm thinking it has been at least 6 years or so.

Hey, I've noticed that we haven't been having the coupons printing at the registers. Has this changed or is something wrong at my store that hasn't been fixed yet? By the way, we finally got the update for our card readers and we've got the little chimes....so much better than the duck call! It has been funny seeing how guests respond to the new sound.....especially those who haven't been here since early January when the update happened.

Okay, I just thought of a valid reason for cashiers to not be conducting "fix a mistakes" transactions. A high number of them are noticed after the guest walks away from the register and the cashier is working with another guest. If the guest is going to have to wait in line again, I would much prefer them to come to me at the SD where the line is usually shorter.

Hey, I've noticed that we haven't been having the coupons printing at the registers. Has this changed or is something wrong at my store that hasn't been fixed yet? By the way, we finally got the update for our card readers and we've got the little chimes....so much better than the duck call! It has been funny seeing how guests respond to the new sound.....especially those who haven't been here since early January when the update happened.

Our Catalina printers were removed entirely about a month ago.

However, many guests don't stop long enough to see "each" and then get mad when they find out we charge by the piece!!

But...lots of things charge by the each. Avocados: $1.19 ea. Cucumbers: $.39 ea. Each is hardly a new concept, people are just dumb.

I sure hope the printers go away soon......just like your store!!

But...lots of things charge by the each. Avocados: $1.19 ea. Cucumbers: $.39 ea. Each is hardly a new concept, people are just dumb.
If only our cukes were 39 cents each. Then I wouldn't feel so bad about how nasty they look.

My store's registers just changed in that all gift cards are combined after one transaction ($5 gift card for one offer and $5 gift card for another combined into one $10 gift card) at the end. Unfortunately, I had a guest who pointed out that should have received three different $5 gift cards for shampoo/hair care products and they weren't appearing on the screen. I didn't know of this change at the time, so I gave three $5 Target coupons and charged three separate $5 gift cards, and then the combined gift card for $15 appeared at the end of the transaction. I just wish that a GSTL or somebody had told me this before my shift that day because the POS wouldn't let me complete the transaction without scanning the $15 gift card, even after I cleared it. I gave the $15 gift card to the GSTL, who presumably gave it to an ETL. Just curious if anyone else's store has this kind of change.

Gift cards are now given after you hit total started 2 weeks ago.
Really? I only noticed that this week. At least it's something that is the same in all stores so there shouldn't be any issues with guests claiming that it's different in another nearby store.

Gift cards are now given after you hit total started 2 weeks ago.
Wasn't in my store last weekend when I worked or on Weds this week when I shopped. We'll see what I find in an hour when I hit the lanes.

I found out when the gift card listed was on zebra & the sign. No prompt before till hitting total. Gsa & me were like, did spot forget to tell us, YES!

Wasn't in my store last weekend when I worked or on Weds this week when I shopped. We'll see what I find in an hour when I hit the lanes.
It lives!! And thanks to you guys here, I didn't have to freak out when the register didn't prompt me to scan a card in the middle of the transaction.

GC promo POS update just hit my store 3 days ago. A heads-up would’ve been nice but just like the access code GC update right before Xmas, guess we just figure it out as it goes...

Sounds like the usual ASANTS with regard to cashier vs GS. At my store, cashiers only ring up items and adjust prices within reason (or GSA permission) if items are mismarked. Returns, RC payments, price matches, missed coupons, OPU, and basically anything else has to be dealt with at GS.
This has always seemed silly to me when I’m on a checklane, fully trained at GS, and a guest has a simple return or a price match (assuming I have a device for the latter); then I have to tell them no and send them off to the 5-deep line at GS. Guess that I understand not wanting to set the wrong precedent since 90% of our cashiers aren’t GS trained.

This has always seemed silly to me when I’m on a checklane, fully trained at GS, and a guest has a simple return or a price match (assuming I have a device for the latter); then I have to tell them no and send them off to the 5-deep line at GS. Guess that I understand not wanting to set the wrong precedent since 90% of our cashiers aren’t GS trained.

When I'm in this situation, I tell the guest that it was a good thing they came to my lane because I have the appropriate computer permissions to assist with the particular type of transaction, rather than saying that the TM who's on the next lane over isn't trained.

Reactions: Dog
Communicating to the front end to GSA/gstl or guest services that I confirm the price match & be on the look out for this guest. Because they were still shopping in the store.

When I'm in this situation, I tell the guest that it was a good thing they came to my lane because I have the appropriate computer permissions to assist with the particular type of transaction, rather than saying that the TM who's on the next lane over isn't trained.
That’s definitely the perfect way to phrase it and I know my guests would love that answer and it would make things better/easier/more efficient for GSAs, GSTMs, cashiers, and most importantly guests.
We don’t need guests coming to checklanes assuming they can do returns with their purchases “because they did last time” or “the guy in the other lane just did”....so I understand the concern there.

I think a happy medium (at least for my store) would be to encourage GSAs to do price matches/easy returns/missed CW at the checklanes. Our cashiers just send all of those to GS, but if there are 2+ GSAs just hanging out a few feet away “supervising the lanes” and there’s a line at GS...
IMO the GSA/TL should go up to that guest and explain basically what you said: apologize, go with the easy solution, make sure to explain why that’s not SOP (though obvi they’re more than happy to help this time) and that next time they can head to GS first before waiting in line on a lane or whatever...

these should be done at the lanes tho

best practice and whatnot
Ugh I wish!! Any idea where this might be listed anywhere as best practice (like workbench or guides or anything)?

Seems more common sense than best practice to me, but my store seems to worry more about following formal instructions than any form of common sense...

Sounds like a waste of time for everyone involved - our cashiers are encouraged to do simple returns at the lanes to lighten the load on guest service if it’s not too busy. When I’m cashiering and someone comes up to me and asks if they can do a more complicated return or an online pickup I just tell them that I can do it because I usually work in guest service but just happen to be ringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back