Archived Cashier vs Guest Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all - I work at an Express store, so I end up doing some of most things. In particular, the roles of cashier and guest services are completely merged, so if I'm at the register, I'm doing all transaction-related things. But one thing I've been realizing browsing the forums is that the distinctions between cashier and service desk at other stores are actually different from what I thought they were. Would someone mind laying them out for me? I'm just curious.
For instance, it seems like cashiers normally don't have MyDevices with them at the registers? And if they need to look something up, they have to call for help or send the guest to the service desk? And there's a whole thing with price change/match authority and stuff like that?

Yes. Cashiers do not have MyDevices, so any issue with price matching has to be handled at GS or by the GSA/GSTL who has a MyDevice. Cashiers are empowered to “make it right” with price adjustments within reason.

Hey all - I work at an Express store, so I end up doing some of most things. In particular, the roles of cashier and guest services are completely merged, so if I'm at the register, I'm doing all transaction-related things. But one thing I've been realizing browsing the forums is that the distinctions between cashier and service desk at other stores are actually different from what I thought they were. Would someone mind laying them out for me? I'm just curious.
For instance, it seems like cashiers normally don't have MyDevices with them at the registers? And if they need to look something up, they have to call for help or send the guest to the service desk? And there's a whole thing with price change/match authority and stuff like that?
We can speak for our own stores. For your store, talk to your GSTL.

But ... I want you to speak for your own stores! That's my question. I know how it works at mine, but I'm curious about others.
What is your question? Do you want know if there is a difference in pay between GS and cashiers?
Because when it comes to their duties, there are obvious differences, a cashier at a register, cant accept returns, do price match, salvage etc.
What is your question?

It sounds like cashier and guest service is integrated into the role of cashier at your store. So to answer your question, at my store all cashiers do is ring guests, push checklanes items and some limited price adjusting (a cashier can adjust a price within $20 at my store within reason and price matching with the approval of a gstl/gsa.) Everything else a guest might need, ie. returns and exchanges, and then anything that has to happen with items like defecting, salvage, etc are done at the guest service area. I'm probably missing some stuff but this is generally the breakdown. :)

What is your question? Do you want know if there is a difference in pay between GS and cashiers?
Because when it comes to their duties, there are obvious differences, a cashier at a register, cant accept returns, do price match, salvage etc.
What is your question?

I'm not sure why you needed to repeat, "What is your question?" like that, Planosss. I got it the first time, thanks. :)
TBH, I'm not sure how to clarify it though, because I literally gave some examples of the kinds of things I was curious about. (which didn't include pay, because if that's what I wanted to know, I would've and could've asked, "Are cashiers and guest services paid differently?") At any rate, it seems like others got it, so maybe their answers will provide more clarity as the question being asked than I can.

I'm not sure why you needed to repeat, "What is your question?" like that, Planosss. I got it the first time, thanks. :)
TBH, I'm not sure how to clarify it though, because I literally gave some examples of the kinds of things I was curious about. (which didn't include pay, because if that's what I wanted to know, I would've and could've asked, "Are cashiers and guest services paid differently?") At any rate, it seems like others got it, so maybe their answers will provide more clarity as the question being asked than I can.
What is it that you are trying to ask???

Last edited:
Oh, no walkies either? So I'm guessing there's a more elaborate POS setup to call for help and stuff, then? Or is it just the lane lights?

We are an IGS store so our cashier's are usually service desk trained. They don't carry a zebra but we do simple returns at the register.

If they need something lane lights. A non express store probably doesn't have enough walkies for all cashier's to have their own.

At my store, a cashier is empowered to do price match, we can also do returns, but I prefer not to do that.

At my store all cashiers do is ring up sales. Sometimes they’ll collect reshop from the lanes and bring it to us at the service desk to sort but that’s it.

All price matching/adjustments are done at the service desk. Price matching can only be done if verified by the price matching app and cashiers don’t have zebras, but we have 1-2 at the service desk.

Sometimes if I’m on a lane and someone I’m ringing up says they have a return or something I’ll do it since I know how, but other than that no GS tasks are done at the lanes.

Yes we have chronic long lines at GS because of this lol

At my store, cashiers mostly just ring items. They can sign people up for REDcards, adjust prices, and price match all without help from a GSA or GSTL. Beyond that, for things like exchanges/returns, REDcard payments, and other guest needs we take care of them at Guest Service. I split my time between self checkout and service desk these days, so if the line is getting pretty long I'll pull guests over to an express lane and have them return stuff, pay on their accounts, etc. at the front lanes to help move the lines along faster.

Sometimes if I’m on a lane and someone I’m ringing up says they have a return or something I’ll do it since I know how, but other than that no GS tasks are done at the lanes.

Yes we have chronic long lines at GS because of this lol

I wish my store would put their money where their mouth is and train more people to do simple service desk tasks. Returns are not hard. If you can sell someone something, you can return something for someone (generally speaking)

My store has IGS so pretty much all of the cashiers have basic guest service training and can do basic returns with a receipt, redcard payments, and simple price matching. The guest service TMs take care of no receipt returns, fixing mistakes on receipts (missed coupons, double scans, etc.), and processing and sorting all of the defectives and empty packages as well as doing repackaging, finding DPCIs, and putting tags on whichever clearance happens to end up there. Service desk also gets the cart attendant to come pick up all the salvage when the bucket is full

In addition to obviously running a register to check out guests, some of our cashiers do reshop if it's quiet and zone Bullseye, check lane areas and card wall. All cashiers can price adjust (NOT price match to competitors) up to $20 without GSTL involvement.

I was originally hired as GS and dropped down to straight cashier because my schedule availability changed. I still have GS rights in the system. My GSTL and GSAs trust me to conduct returns, price adjusts, etc. at the register as long as I have a MyDevice. I only do so when I don't have a line, though, or when there's nobody at the desk for some reason. I'm also one of the main people to run reshop because I've proven myself to be quick and efficient at it. And even though I'm scheduled as cashier, I'm often at the desk for at least part of my shift, covering breaks and meals. So I make sure to always grab a walkie and MyDevice.

My store has IGS so pretty much all of the cashiers have basic guest service training and can do basic returns with a receipt, redcard payments, and simple price matching. The guest service TMs take care of no receipt returns, fixing mistakes on receipts (missed coupons, double scans, etc.), and processing and sorting all of the defectives and empty packages as well as doing repackaging, finding DPCIs, and putting tags on whichever clearance happens to end up there. Service desk also gets the cart attendant to come pick up all the salvage when the bucket is full

Fixing mistakes on receipts are things that cashiers are supposed to do. These are things that you learn when doing cashier training. So, you might want to review cashier training and keep your lines shorter at GS.
Most of what you have mentioned are things that are done at GS, but some things need to back to your cashiers. I'm sure that your guests are not very happy when they have to stand in line to get their $1.00 coupon fixed or that double scanned item taken off the receipt.

Fixing mistakes on receipts are things that cashiers are supposed to do. These are things that you learn when doing cashier training. So, you might want to review cashier training and keep your lines shorter at GS.
Most of what you have mentioned are things that are done at GS, but some things need to back to your cashiers. I'm sure that your guests are not very happy when they have to stand in line to get their $1.00 coupon fixed or that double scanned item taken off the receipt.
No, I agree. I think that our cashiers know how to do it, but either aren’t comfortable doing so or just don’t feel like it (probably the latter) so they send the people to guest service. They’ve also been sending all basic returns to guest service lately, which is pretty ridiculous as people are both cashing out and doing all guest service things at GS so the line is always long.

No, I agree. I think that our cashiers know how to do it, but either aren’t comfortable doing so or just don’t feel like it (probably the latter) so they send the people to guest service. They’ve also been sending all basic returns to guest service lately, which is pretty ridiculous as people are both cashing out and doing all guest service things at GS so the line is always long.

These are things that my STL would prefer we do at the checkout. There is a memo stating this at each register in the binders with the sales ad. However, our store doesn't cover this in our cashier training and at this point there isn't sufficient staffing so that a GSTL can pull a cashier for a few minutes to teach them. And quite frankly, most of my fellow cashiers aren't competent enough to handle anything more than a standard transaction. Processing RC sign up is challenging enough for several of them, sadly.

I have to admit that I assumed fixing mistakes (missed coupon, wrong payment, etc) fell under GS duties. I had one shift of cashier training before starting my GS training, and my cash trainer didn't mention it at all. Of course, there were a lot of things she didn't cover that I learned later....

The cashier training book covered scanning, the scale, paying with gc, cash, check and RC signup.

Nothing about price match, price challenges, WIC or rebate checks, fixing mistakes, printing gift receipts after the transaction is done, what to do when the scale stops registering weights, coupons (or coupon fraud), what to do if a register doesn't recognize a UPC or any of a million other things that don't come up very often.

Not every scenario can be covered in training, obviously, but it seems like the book could use a few updates, such as the rules for price match/challenge and fixing common mistakes (missed coupon, print gift receipts, suspend & restore transactions, etc.).

I have to admit that I assumed fixing mistakes (missed coupon, wrong payment, etc) fell under GS duties. I had one shift of cashier training before starting my GS training, and my cash trainer didn't mention it at all. Of course, there were a lot of things she didn't cover that I learned later....
It's ASANTS. at my store checkout lanes are for checkout only.

The cashier training book covered scanning, the scale, paying with gc, cash, check and RC signup.

There's a book??? :eek: Eighteen months later and I finally find out there's a book? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back