Archived catch 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those catch-22 situations. Sales are down at a lot of Target stores because of the economy. So the store cuts our hours to save money.
So then sales go down even more because of not enough team members on the floor to help guests find what they need.
Then because there are less team members on the floor we get a red service score.
Management thinks the red service score could not POSSIBLY be because there are not enough team members....it HAS to be because we are doing something wrong, and
if we would only work harder the service score (and sales) would go up.
Faulty logic? Come on, this is not rocket science just common sense. Am I off base or does anybody agree that something is wrong with this thinking?

Last edited:
Nope, you pretty much nailed it on the head.
The sad fact is the Spot is being penny wise and pound foolish.
But they always seem to have the money for expansions into other countries, expensive corporate offices, executive bonuses, and race cars.

The issue I have with the way payroll is handled revolves around flex hours. The method they go by make absolutely zero sense. If we beat sales one week, let us use those extra hours the next week without fear of "overspending" at the end of the month. Furthermore, if we beat sales for a given month, let us use the hours the next month. Why is it a "use or lose" situation? I don't get it.

yeah some of the things they come up with as was said penny wise pound foolish. I love how they got rid of the logistics shift differential by moving to 4am at my store. They thought they could show their stockholders on paper that they just saved $1000 dollars per team every year. Since this has happened, we haven't had but 5 team members that outstanding and that we could actually retain. Nobody wants to work for $9.00 an hour. I'd be interested to know the total expenses for hiring a replacement logistics team member. Because we have probably gone through 150-200 in the last two years. And now that we only have 2 hours to work the truck before the store opens, our finish times have been pushed back about an hour a truck. We are missing a lot of sales because freight does not all get worked the day it is scanned and marked push. Guests are visibly upset that there are flats of freight all over the salesfloor. I don't know how it evens out, but it's possible they are just breaking even. But anything you gotta do to show a 4 percent increase over last year, you do it.

I don't know, maybe target canada and pfresh are the right thing to do, but isn't it quite a gamble? What would happen if it didn't work out? What's left to cut?

^^did you mean 6am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back