Check free in-store Debit Red card application coming soon?

I think some people with major banks can authenticate their account by signing in* now as opposed to providing account and routing.

*Sign in info is processed by the bank and not shared with target

It wasn’t so long ago that Target had its infamous data breach… people are still hesitant. Asking for your account number isn’t the same as running a check through a machine. The perception is that it’s a secure process.

That being said, Target should offer the option to sign up through the Target app. You get a 5% offer on today’s transaction regardless of payment method; but whatever email address you use is tagged to that offer and a “finalize your red card sign up” will be sent as an email link… maybe a physical card is never sent and is automatically associated with that email account And automatically installed into the Target app after sign up is completed.

But I’m no security or financial transaction developer. This might be very difficult to implement with the current systems in place.

That being said, Target should offer the option to sign up through the Target app. You get a 5% offer on today’s transaction regardless of payment method; but whatever email address you use is tagged to that offer and a “finalize your red card sign up” will be sent as an email link… maybe a physical card is never sent and is automatically associated with that email account And automatically installed into the Target app after sign up is completed.
you can sign up through target.com on a smartphone in like 5min and you get a barcode to use as a temp/get to add it to your target app immediately right now

you can sign up through target.com on a smartphone in like 5min and you get a barcode to use as a temp/get to add it to your target app immediately right now
I did not know this. Seems like that's the best approach for signing people up for a red card, especially if they don't have a check.

Seems like a QR code at each register that takes you to this sign up would be the easiest solution too. If they sign up in the store, even through the site, the store gets the credit. Or so I've heard.

Seems like a QR code at each register that takes you to this sign up would be the easiest solution too. If they sign up in the store, even through the site, the store gets the credit. Or so I've heard.
there is a qr code at each register now. or supposed to be anyway. stores still only get credit based on zip code alignment though

I think some people with major banks can authenticate their account by signing in* now as opposed to providing account and routing.

*Sign in info is processed by the bank and not shared with target
So not only give account number and routing number, but give access to other account numbers, purchase history, deposit history and average balance.

What could possibly go wrong?

Back