Archived Checkout Advocate Helping Guests Off the Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clocked out from work and was purchasing stuff at an empty self checkout. Guests asked me for help so I logged in to assist and let the leader know after. Then left. Will I get in trouble? Never done this before.

That’s definitely frowned upon, you will get a talk about not working off the clock for obvious reasons. Submit Punch Correction for the time you spent though for sure. Next time tell the guest you will get someone to help.

Wouldn’t a punch correction be worse though since I’d have to explain it.

You're off the clock. You are under no obligation to help or even answer anyone's question. Though, I would recommend changing your shirt or wear a sweatshirt before and after work and while on break. Even so, you're allowed to wear whatever you want.

But, do not work for free!

Why did you do that? Why did you sacrifice your free time to the Target god? Why did you just not say no? You're not salary and therefore have no reason to care.

You can also just lie and say “oh the computer doesn’t let me log in when I’m off the clock”

But seriously does your store not have an SCO Advocate?? They should’ve been the one helping, not you. You probably won’t get in trouble but if you do it would probably be a corrective action. Target takes working off the clock SUPER seriously bc they don’t want to get sued.

Yeah I would not help them off the clock. It could cost your job. Besides helping a Tarshit guest after clocking out is not your problem.

A older man asked for help in the chem aisle after I had just clocked out for lunch. I barely got the words "I'm off the clock..." out of my mouth and he went apeshit. I was going to say, "I'm off the clock but I will get someone for you" but never got the chance. I was fairly new to the company and felt so embarassed. Luckily, another TM came by and jumped in, but that kind of ruined my lunch break, lol. Next time I will leave out the "off the clock" part.

A older man asked for help in the chem aisle after I had just clocked out for lunch. I barely got the words "I'm off the clock..." out of my mouth and he went apeshit. I was going to say, "I'm off the clock but I will get someone for you" but never got the chance. I was fairly new to the company and felt so embarassed. Luckily, another TM came by and jumped in, but that kind of ruined my lunch break, lol. Next time I will leave out the "off the clock" part.
Why leave that part out? It makes it completely understandable why you can't help. Not saying that you are on personal time makes it seem that you are working but won't help.

I just say “oh sorry this isn’t my area let me find someone for you”

Probably running out the Drive Up order. My store's SCO Advocate has been blessed with that responsibility.
AP at my store would lost their shit if our SCO person left SCO to do a damn driveup. Plus, SCO and the OPU hold area are on opposite sides of the front.

Sometimes I have to do OPU/drive up, guest service (different desks that are not close to each other) and self checkout all by myself :(

Sometimes I have to do OPU/drive up, guest service (different desks that are not close to each other) and self checkout all by myself :(
We don't have self checkout BUT instead we have an integrated guest services that does the functions of the operator("You must answer all phone calls!"), opu, drive up, price matches, returns, receipt corrections, other department defects, AND checkout. They usually schedule one person. And that person most of the time ends up being the only cashier scheduled for hours. TLs are in the office sharing memes. Store director included. We feel your pain.

"ADDITIONAL CASHIERS TO THE FRONT LANES, DAMMIT"

Oh
Clocked out from work and was purchasing stuff at an empty self checkout. Guests asked me for help so I logged in to assist and let the leader know after. Then left. Will I get in trouble? Never done this before.
You might not get in trouble if no one knows and no one is tipped off to look into it. But don't do it again. If not because you're giving away free time to Spot, then because Spot is terrified of being sued for not paying you for that time. Be polite because you're still representing, find someone ON the clock to help, excuse yourself from the situation once a working team member gets involved.

Spending time looking for someone is still time spent performing a job function. I've always directed them to GS or a red phone (whichever is closer) and continued on with my day.

I will keep a radio with me, and I can call, I just tell them I don't cashier so I don't have a log in, but I can call for someone. It helps the guest and keeps them from getting even more mad with the least effort on my part. Cause people know I work there, I have a bright hair color right now so I can't hide. "The pink haired chick we saw her earlier she works here!" Usually this happens at self check on my lunch. On the floor, I direct to a red phone or if I know a TM is close call them or send the guest to them and go about my day.

AP at my store would lost their shit if our SCO person left SCO to do a damn driveup. Plus, SCO and the OPU hold area are on opposite sides of the front.

And rightly so.

Particularly early in the day before the SETL arrives (noon or 1 pm) the SCO at my store runs SCO, does DU, runs the lanes and answers any calls for the SETL/front end.
And... makes the break grid for the front end, banks the lanes, and handles any Karen's that are in snowflake mode that day. Once the SETL or ETL comes in most of those responsibilities get passed on to leadership.

Alot of responsibility and stress for someone who makes the same $13/hour as a cashier (um, Guest Advocate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back