Archived Chip Card Reader reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot has used chip card readers for over three years. Most guests have figured out the need to insert the chip card rather than swipe the strip. The chip card readers, however, have been a PIA when they don't work properly. This becomes even worse when the guest uses a redcard, most of which lack a magnetic stripe strip (excepting a very small number of co-branded Mastercard redcards).

When our store was remodeled, the chip card reader reliability improved dramatically. Now, it seems to be getting worse, and even between registers some chip card readers are more reliable than others. Sometimes if the chip doesn't work, it doesn't even make it to the third try where you can swipe the card, it just goes back to the default screen (not the payment screen).

Why can't Spot keep up on the various firmware upgrades and connectivity/technical issues, and fix chip card readers which need adjustment or calibration? It seems like they are cheaping out on maintenance of these units - and those hassles for the guest detract from the "guest experience" which Target is so eager to obtain.

Last edited:
Spot has used chip card readers for over three years. Most guests have figured out the need to insert the chip card rather than swipe the strip. The chip card readers, however, have been a PIA when they don't work properly. This becomes even worse when the guest uses a redcard, most of which lack a magnetic stripe strip (excepting a very small number of co-branded Mastercard redcards).

When our store was remodeled, the chip card reader reliability improved dramatically. Now, it seems to be getting worse, and even between registers some chip card readers are more reliable than others. Sometimes if the chip doesn't work, it doesn't even make it to the third try where you can swipe the card, it just goes back to the default screen (not the payment screen).

Why can't Spot keep up on the various firmware upgrades and connectivity/technical issues, and fix chip card readers which need adjustment or calibration? It seems like they are cheaping out on maintenance of these units - and those hassles for the guest detract from the "guest experience" which Target is so eager to obtain.
Use chip card cleaners. Can be ordered on sap. They help. Also, have the guest rub their card on their shirt. Something about fabric cleans it well. Finally, submit a repair request.

I fail to see how spot isn’t keeping up on maintainence. If you submit a repair ticket a tech is out in like 24-36 hours

That's a good question for your PML. I'm sure he'll be delighted to answer that.

Use chip card cleaners. Can be ordered on sap. They help. Also, have the guest rub their card on their shirt. Something about fabric cleans it well. Finally, submit a repair request. I fail to see how spot isn’t keeping up on maintainence. If you submit a repair ticket a tech is out in like 24-36 hours
Maybe this is ASANTS. Whenever I bring up this topic with our GSTLs or GE, they are nice and understanding but I get the sense that the higher-ups in our district really would rather avoid spending the money to have maintenance techs come out. It seems like there's no budget - at least here - for keeping the card readers maintained. We very rarely see our PMT in the store.

We used to have chip card cleaners but then were told they could not be used. I frequently invite guests to wipe the chip side against their clothes. Occasionally, we've had the bearings on the chip reader terminals start slipping up and down and it sometimes takes many weeks or even months to get these fixed. Many guests say Target is the only place they have problems with their chip cards, which makes me think this happens at other targets in our district. It doesn't make "frictionless transactions" and doesn't help the guest experience at target. ASANTS!

I can't say how many times I have had to suspend a sale and take the guest to another register to pay. It's tough when you are the only one on SC and you have to leave to do this.

Do you find that this is issue usually appears with one bank? In my store, it's mostly Wells Fargo cards that have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back