Archived Chromeboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsa4lyfe

Always here
Anyone else get these yet? We got them last week and they suck. Super slow and a pain in the ass when you want to do anything with office 365 since chrome/googles default programs are google doc related.

Nobody should be using ChromeOS except raccoons, because it's trash
We use chromeboxes at work in a public internet kiosk deployment, they're great for that because we can lock 'em the fuck down, the session logs out after inactivity and wipes all the browser data, etc. But yeah I wouldn't want to be on one as an employee trying to do task-work.

My new store has them. I'm not sure for how long, but at least for the month-ish I've been here. Anyway I like being able to end the session and have everything log out, that's about it lmao.

Are these for some particular niche in stores or totally replacing the Dell boxes?

If the latter then lol. Why put up the outlay for Microsoft volume licenses when you can put it toward executive compensation instead, amirite corp

They're overwhelmingly mediocre for everything except looking up POGs on online planogram, which they can't do at all

Can't you change the document default?
No the default will always be sheets since there’s no way to install excel on the computer so no way to select excel as a default. The only way to use 365 is by going to the online version

Are these for some particular niche in stores or totally replacing the Dell boxes?

If the latter then lol. Why put up the outlay for Microsoft volume licenses when you can put it toward executive compensation instead, amirite corp
Complete replacements except for receiving and sign and label. I assume those will go too once sign and label is 100% gone

Our store has warnings on the Dell boxes in the TMSO that they are disappearing and Chromebooks will be arriving soon. :(

They could literally put myWork or any myDevice app on the Chromebox but they won't.
That would be pretty cool. I honestly think they should just give us the iPads PMLs have and have a couple real computers when necessary. The only real time you would need a desktop computer is when working you’re working on large documents and would benefit from a keyboard but even then iPads have keyboard s

Tablets would be beneficial for a lot of applications and processes. But for what I have to do I need a desktop. I’ve used the chromebox at a different store and they were hella fast, but that store wasn’t open yet. I would say any upgrade to what we currently have would be an improvement, but I’ve worked at Target long enough to know there’s always a catch.

Tablets would be beneficial for a lot of applications and processes. But for what I have to do I need a desktop. I’ve used the chromebox at a different store and they were hella fast, but that store wasn’t open yet. I would say any upgrade to what we currently have would be an improvement, but I’ve worked at Target long enough to know there’s always a catch.
Fast?.... I’m experiencing the opposite. It takes a couple minutes just to log in. I’m constantly checking my email in the morning on the sign and label and not using the offices. I agree though if tablets were feasible, HR should still have a desktop. My PML doesn’t use his iPad a ton and only works part time so he’s given me permission to use it whenever. I love using it to quickly pull something up on workbench and check my email.

Fast?.... I’m experiencing the opposite. It takes a couple minutes just to log in. I’m constantly checking my email in the morning on the sign and label and not using the offices. I agree though if tablets were feasible, HR should still have a desktop. My PML doesn’t use his iPad a ton and only works part time so he’s given me permission to use it whenever. I love using it to quickly pull something up on workbench and check my email.
Let me clarify. It was fast during Planorama when it was competing with anything else for signal, but it was brand spanking new, so it wasn’t clogged up with temp files bc nobody has ever cleared the cache. Plus I thought just incredibly fast compared to what I’m used to using.

I would love to see some of the Workday apps as widgets. A hiring event and there is a widget to only look at the staffing dashboard? Onboarding people with that same widget, not having to use both computers in the library on a Monday morning thus ensuring every TL is irritated from the get go? This alone would be soooooo helpful!

The Zebras just aren’t stable enough to run Workday on them and that’s the only equipment we have. Which gives us a horrible first impression.

Loving ours. Pretty smooth and I like that it signs you into your own little roaming profile so you don't have to see what junk the TMs before you put on the Desktop, the pictures of their ugly kids, and the not having to re-type my password to log into WB is also nice.

Loving ours. Pretty smooth and I like that it signs you into your own little roaming profile so you don't have to see what junk the TMs before you put on the Desktop, the pictures of their ugly kids, and the not having to re-type my password to log into WB is also nice.
Are they like acer or hp?

No, my store's Chromeboxes are Acers also. Not HP.

They look like this but don't have the little stand so they're on their side.

View attachment 8441
Interesting I wonder why they chose to go with different models. When did you get yours? Maybe different roll outs got different contracts/prices

Interesting I wonder why they chose to go with different models. When did you get yours? Maybe different roll outs got different contracts/prices
We got them just 2 weeks ago.

Not sure. I would've welcomed HP. Acer has always felt a bit cheaper to me but if it works, it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back