Closed on Thanksgiving

Watch to see how everyone will be scheduled to do midnight on Thursday into Friday it’s no longer thanksgiving. So take that nap after that thanksgiving dinner as they say so you can be up by midnight to work lol.
Do like I plan and "volunteer" to close - I'd rather work until midnight (or later) than come in early.

It took a freakin' pandemic to get the store closed for Thanksgiving. I think there's hope for Christmas Eve day.
Unlikely the store will close for the entire day of Christmas Eve, but..... historically, just about every merchant in the United States closes on Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm or earlier. Over the dozen years, a handful of mega-stores followed the lead of the now-bankrupt K-Mart and Sears in staying open later and later on Christmas Eve. I the case of K-Mart/Sears which started the trend, you can see how well that worked out.

Closing the doors at 6:00 pm Christmas Eve was the norm for most of Target's history. 6:00 pm closing allows team members to observe the holiday evening to be with families, friends, attend Christmas Eve religious observances if desired -- or if the TM prefers to stay home alone, to binge view Christmas movies or enjoy an extended video gaming session.

Unlikely the store will close for the entire day of Christmas Eve, but..... historically, just about every merchant in the United States closes on Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm or earlier. Over the dozen years, a handful of mega-stores followed the lead of the now-bankrupt K-Mart and Sears in staying open later and later on Christmas Eve. I the case of K-Mart/Sears which started the trend, you can see how well that worked out.

Closing the doors at 6:00 pm Christmas Eve was the norm for most of Target's history. 6:00 pm closing allows team members to observe the holiday evening to be with families, friends, attend Christmas Eve religious observances if desired -- or if the TM prefers to stay home alone, to binge view Christmas movies or enjoy an extended video gaming session.
And it’s been 10pm the past couple years. Hope this isn’t a new norm :(

Dollars to donuts we’ll see 12-8:30am shifts that Friday.
It’ll be 12:15-12:30, they won’t want anyone clocking in at 11:55pm Thursday night to claim the sweet sweet paltry 5 minutes of holiday premium pay.

But I still think Fulfillment will be in for SFS/OPU/DU and possibly smaller stores taking a truck to push before the store opens on Black Friday.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised...
If the COVID curve drops, I bet you anything midnight opening or revisit Black Thursday decision. Those 4am Black Fridays were cruel.

If the curve increases, I could see maybe a soft opening and heavy doorbuster limits. First 50 allowed in. Then when 10 leave, next 10 may enter.

I’ll probably make sure to have Black Friday off depending on what my family is doing for thanksgiving this year. If I was to work, It’ll be my first time working Black Friday for retail.

I’ll probably make sure to have Black Friday off depending on what my family is doing for thanksgiving this year. If I was to work, It’ll be my first time working Black Friday for retail.
Your store may not let you have black Friday off or Wednesday before off thanksgiving
Then the threads will start again on holiday pay & getting off for Black Friday.

I’m confused why Thanksgiving would have any impact on working ok Black Friday. Unless you mean travel would get in the way.

Your store may not let you have black Friday off or Wednesday before off thanksgiving
Then the threads will start again on holiday pay & getting off for Black Friday.
Lmao that’s bullshit if they wouldn’t let anyone off if they are already planning to travel around that time. That’s just them not putting their employees first or respecting them.

Lmao that’s bullshit if they wouldn’t let anyone off if they are already planning to travel around that time. That’s just them not putting their employees first or respecting them.

When you work retail it is expected you work on Black Friday. Typically that day is blacked out for requests off. That being said, exceptions are sometimes made, but it is rare.

Back