Archived Closing pfresh and dry market alone - anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you nailed it
Figured...I only know 1 ETL that is male and he xfered from our store from a TL position. We have never had a male ETL in my 2 years of being there. We had a male trainee once though. We do have 2 male TLs though.

Between all the leaders we have....i think...

13 females
3 males

Last edited:
Our ETL staff was mainly male until our STL started at our store and started cleaning house and hiring who he wanted. Idk if he has anything to do with it but we havent hired a male ETL in a year and a half that I know of.

And re: softlines TL - ask her how long it takes to finger space all of softlines.

Finger space softlines... Are you kidding me. It's asking a lot to have the sizes waterfall by sizes let alone not have every hanging fixture bursting at the ends of the bars.

Our remodel finished July 2011. It took about 8 months before the Market/P-Fresh TL moved to shifts where they took ownership of the area. What also helped was our store was moved into a different group where the district "whatever"(don't know the acronym) eliminated the 7pm CAFs. This helped big time and allowed the P-Fresh/Market staff to take the onus off of the BRTMs for pushing the 5pm & 7pm P-Fresh CAFs, along with whatever piled up during the day. We only have a dedicated P-Fresh CAF-puller / pusher Fri - Sun, which is when the highest volume of sales is. The dry Market CAFs are the BRTM's responsibility unless it's the Christmas shopping season where the market person/people get called-out to help push. During the rest of the week, the Market/P-Fresh TL takes care of pulling and pushing the P-Fresh CAFs when they're on, along with setting and tearing down POGs. In addition, our morning P-Fresh/market person takes care of the culls and Research before the store opens at 8am. The opening BRTM is responsible for pushing the P-Fresh CAFs and Research depending on who is on.

It's been a long evolution, but very welcome.

That is ridiculous I struggle to close P-fresh alone. You need 2 people to efficiently close P-fresh to begin with in my opinion. Culling while zoning + qmos + cleaning+plus inevitable push that the ETL demands you do when you should be zoning really takes a lot of time out of your zone.

The thing that bothers me about my ETLs that don't understand that after a certain time(in my opinion 6pm) we shouldn't be pushing anymore unless all other closing tasks are complete and this applies to all of Hardlines in my store not just P-fresh. In Hardlines they have us doing push after 6 and then have 3 people scheduled to close which really means 2 tms because at least 1 0f the 3 is always on break or covering electronics or doing reshop or backing up the registers then the ETLs are surprised when we don't finish the zone on time and have a bunch of reshop. I really miss the ETLs from when I was hired that understood these concepts.

Last edited:
Finger space softlines... Are you kidding me. It's asking a lot to have the sizes waterfall by sizes let alone not have every hanging fixture bursting at the ends of the bars.

Not sure if serious...Ive zone ready to wear and done finger spacing and id take that over hardlines any day. The only things that suck in softlines are shoes and folding tables.

That is ridiculous I struggle to close P-fresh alone. You need 2 people to efficiently close P-fresh to begin with in my opinion. Culling while zoning + qmos + cleaning+plus inevitable push that the ETL demands you do when you should be zoning really takes a lot of time out of your zone.

The thing that bothers me about my ETLs that don't understand that after a certain time(in my opinion 6pm) we shouldn't be pushing anymore unless all other closing tasks are complete and this applies to all of Hardlines in my store not just P-fresh. In Hardlines they have us doing push after 6 and then have 3 people scheduled to close which really means 2 tms because at least 1 0f the 3 is always on break or covering electronics or doing reshop or backing up the registers then the ETLs are surprised when we don't finish the zone on time and have a bunch of reshop. I really miss the ETLs from when I was hired that understood these concepts.

Yep, my leadership has been better but sometimes they are completely oblivious to why the zone wasnt done. When I used to work hardlines sometimes it would be just me and someone else. And I would have to take my lunch when they got in, cover electronics break and lunch, take my second break and then whoever came in would have to take their break. Not to even mention I would be back in electronics for 40 minutes. Not sure how it took the electronics TM 10 minutes to walk up to TSC, clock out, clock in, grab reshop and come back tho.

If Target wanted it done how they expect it to be done then yeah, you really do need 2 pfresh closers. Or at the very least a mid from like 3-7 which would help so much. Up til about 5:30-6 you are just doing zone, push and getting ready for the walk and doing the walk. And if you are like my store who only has market til 9, and you have to take a lunch around 6-6:30 + attend huddle which is another 15 minutes or so it doesnt leave too much time for zone, guest service, call buttons, backup + all of the other tasks.

Well guys...they finally did it to me....I walked in today at 2:30 for my closing shift til 9, and my CTL says "So they decided this week that pfresh is responsible for zoning dry market, so make sure you get through the zone"

All I could think of in my head were a bunch of curse words that I had to restrain myself from saying about our leadership team and target. It for sure put me in a bad mood for the whole night. Im so sick of Pfresh being abused by every other team.

First...this past week Plano TL asked me to set a planogram for both bunker sides, 2 wine planos (sidecap and bakery) and the front cooler. Not only that but they decided, or whatever ETL decided that hey we should set the college and back to school stuff apparently a week ahead so market got pushed back pretty much til Saturday and barely got done, even with me helping out with those 5 planograms.

Second, almost every morning I open, I have to do huddle and something unrelated to market, like zone ready to wear, push out softlines, or push out reshop for hardlines that isnt grocery. Usually that takes til 8:30-8:45. Then my break which is basically an hour just for that and break.

Third, im pretty much salesfloor anyway. Half the time, we either have just 1 person in the morning or 1 til 6:30 so most of the time pfresh has to respond to backup, call buttons, carry outs, etc. Like tonight, I helped with a carryout, did backup a little bit and helped a bunch of guests. Since we dont have anybody til 6:30 we also never have fresh and full by 4, because, it would basically just be me anyway so ive given up on calling it. Why bother doing it when one TM shows up and maybe the LOD and then they just get called away for backup or something.

But anyway, where the hell does target think we can do all this **** for pfresh. Pfresh hours go from 6:00-9 and on sunday 6-8. Thats it for market. We dont even get to stay till actual closing. Our Pfresh score is #1 in the district for year to date too, so obv our team does a good job. I just have no idea how I am supposed to zone all of G except paper when we leave at 9. The freezer was absolute trash today as was dry market. I stayed an extra hour and still wasnt even half way through dry grocery. Almost EVERY SINGLE ITEM had to be pushed forward and I found, and im not exagerating, about 25 empty cardboard containers for different items just laying in their home location, along with at least 15 items of reshop for other areas, and a bunch of crap in the wrong spot and that was only about 1/4 of dry market. O_O

Not only that but everytime I close the *#%#&%*& HL team doesnt even have to do CAFS either. Backroom did that tonight as well. Its like seriously wtf are they doing. They dont have to do the CAFS at all and now they dont have to do Grocery, AND my LOD for the night had zoned B,C, AND D!!!! and Electronics has to do Toys, Entertainment, Sporting Goods, basically all of E and F block. So that leaves..hmm...A block and Mini, oh man that is soooooo hard isnt it.

When I working as the SF closing TL shift, the 2-10:30, I would always have to do ALL the CAFS and I somehow managed to get C and D done usually by the time the closers got there. In which I would have to do about 1/2 of B, cover electronics lunch and break, take my lunch and then help with about 1/4 of A and probably 1/2 of Market

Last edited:
Not only that but everytime I close the *#%#&%*& HL team doesnt even have to do CAFS either. Backroom did that tonight as well. Its like seriously wtf are they doing. They dont have to do the CAFS at all and now they dont have to do Grocery, AND my LOD for the night had zoned B,C, AND D!!!! and Electronics has to do Toys, Entertainment, Sporting Goods, basically all of E and F block. So that leaves..hmm...A block and Mini, oh man that is soooooo hard isnt it.

If the LOD was zoning, then I'll bet anything hardlines was short on coverage.

If the LOD was zoning, then I'll bet anything hardlines was short on coverage.

Well we are always short on coverage. Typically we only have 2 Hardline TMs for the night close, and 2 in apparel, which was the same last night. Our leaders have to help with stuff otherwise our store would be a mess. When you are an ULV store your leadership cant sit on their ass.

Well we are always short on coverage. Typically we only have 2 Hardline TMs for the night close, and 2 in apparel, which was the same last night. Our leaders have to help with stuff otherwise our store would be a mess. When you are an ULV store your leadership cant sit on their ass.

Oh, it's one of those stores. Every time I read about ULV paradise, it makes me feel better about working in an A+.

I feel your pain. I was in exactly the same boat. Our store is turning around, leadership is recognizing that decision as impossible.

You need to politely, diplomatically, scientifically throw a fit. LODs only see what is in front of them, and only hear what they are told. Help them to see the effect of that decision.

Recently I was QMOSing an INSANE amount of expensive steaks and ground beef. Instead of just rolling my eyes and flushing all that money down the toilet (metaphorically speaking) I called the LOD over. Three of them were walking around the back room at the time. I showed them how much I was QMOSing, and that most of it could have been prevented if I had time to walk the coolers every day, and pull product that is about to expire, do TPCs, meat coupons, etc.

They saw where I was to go with that argument, and tried saying that it wasn't a lot of meat. Yeah, right! Nice try. I just firmly told them that no, this is A LOT of food. I said something like this: "I'm just trying to help you understand the relationship between what I am QMOSing today and what I was spending my time on three days ago, when this could have been prevented."

So if they want to have dry market completely zoned and pfresh completely QMOSed, that is their decision. Obviously you need more people on your team. Help them see the effects of their decisions.

Communication is key...if you are letting your ETL/LOD know your concerns then that is all that you can do. Document every time you have a conversation with you so that when sh*t hits the fan the blame cannot be pinned on you

Communication is key...if you are letting your ETL/LOD know your concerns then that is all that you can do. Document every time you have a conversation with you so that when sh*t hits the fan the blame cannot be pinned on you

That's why you do hba , instead of market.

I dont think its impossible. As long as the zone is kept up it might not be too bad. It is very difficult though. What I dont understand at my store is that backroom seems to be pushing CAFs whenever I close, and an LOD or someone who comes in at 2 usually gets Domestics (C+D) and usually most of Stationary done (B) , so all that is left is HBA, Seasonal and Market...why do I have to do market again? Between them covering breaks, reshop, taking breaks, I feel like I actually zone more than the closing hardline team.

For me, im fine doing it if that is what they want, but IMO its BS that they expect me to still answer call buttons, calls, backup, go to evening huddle, and then in the morning always do a smart huddle, usually in apparel or reshop for like 30 minutes, then the walk sometimes takes forever too because the LOD keeps getting called away or if it is one of the ETLS is the most detailed walk on the planet and takes another 30 minutes.

For how target wants pfresh ran, stores sure try to derail that as much as possible. Ive read on here that other stores have flow or backroom help push their morning pulls. I was even told that hours are allocated for push in the morning from logistics from one of the higher up food guys for the region, (cant remember the title). You know what I get. Myself, pushing out frozen, Bakery, Dairy, Meat, 2 Produce pulls, a full milk flat with I would guess usually around 40 milk crates on tuesday and friday when the vendor comes, and somehow culling, sda, qmosing, all before 8 so I can go to huddle, go to apparel to zone or reshop or get a whole cart of reshop from hardlines pushed on me which takes til about 8:35 easily, then fit my break in there, zone really quick, then its time for the walk, then by the time I know it, its allready 9:30 or so. Usually I try to fit in research or whatever came up on the walk before lunch at 10.

All in All Pfresh does

All the morning push
Easily 30-35 min of huddle + smart huddle
Long Sales Walks
Have to receive C+S during closing, usually right at the begining of closing shift (not too bad now thanks to no freezer thank god, but still about 20-25 minutes worth of work)
Fresh and full by 4 with ZERO help
Zone all of dry grocery + Freezers/Coolers
Still answer call buttons/calls/backup
Grab Carts (I did this about 4 times in 2 days last week)
Doing Carryouts/ Team carryouts (so much fun when we had everything go clearance in seasonal a month ago, since we have to walk through it to get to the backroom pfresh section)

Then of course the usual stuff
SDA
QMOS
TPCS
Cleaning
Reading Message Boards/doing whatever action needs to be done on those
Meat Coupons
Cull expired product at night
The order
C+S push
C+S Crediting
Dealing with NOF (takes price change forever to get to it so I just do it)
And whatever else im missing

Ill zone dry and it will be good its just, when is enough enough. By the end of a closing shift im so exhausted. IF we got to stay til 10 I wouldnt worry about it one bit but only being able to stay til 9 sucks alot. I feel like im not even in pfresh half the time as it is.

And yet my team is somehow #1 in the district for our Pfresh score.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back