Archived Closing super targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Super T get rid of Pfresh in other stores

If I didn't have a super target by my house I probably wouldn't have become a target shopper. The p-fresh store layout doesn't really draw me in to shop...I like the wider selection of groceries available at a super.

Super t won't close. There are many of them in the northeast.

I dunno about where in the NE you live, but there's not a single Super Target nearby where I am. I believe most Super Targets are in Minnesota and down south like Texas/Florida.

What we really need up north is some more city targets. California is hogging them all!

I dunno about where in the NE you live, but there's not a single Super Target nearby where I am. I believe most Super Targets are in Minnesota and down south like Texas/Florida.

What we really need up north is some more city targets. California is hogging them all!

In my part of CA not one SuperT.

We actually were considered for a Super Target upgrade a few years ago but they couldn't do it because of some wetland issues.

There's a Super Target a couple miles away and I prefer it to the one just as close & with better bus access. Bigger plus size selection than any other Target, although still small as hell compared to every other part of apparel. Anyways, it's always busy with grocery shoppers... even with a Market District & Whole Foods close by.

HLM isn't that far north. I think there's at least one Super near him. As I said in a previous post, I'm in NY and the closest Supers are in Virginia and Indiana. Around here, the grocery chains dominate.

HLM isn't that far north. I think there's at least one Super near him. As I said in a previous post, I'm in NY and the closest Supers are in Virginia and Indiana. Around here, the grocery chains dominate.
You are correct. Leesburg & Manassas VA are the Super t's in my district.

As much as I would love a ST, around Philly and in NJ it would never make it. Target's prices are crappy for most things compared to ShopRite and even Acme. Too much loyalty for Wegman's too. We do have Walmart Supercenters and they do great business, but of course Walmart is known for being cheap.

As much as I would love a ST, around Philly and in NJ it would never make it. Target's prices are crappy for most things compared to ShopRite and even Acme. Too much loyalty for Wegman's too. We do have Walmart Supercenters and they do great business, but of course Walmart is known for being cheap.
Pshh, if Target were to put a Super Target here (which they had considered my store but there was a leasing issue /sadface) it would be the bomb.com. I can't exactly explain how... without giving out my store information unfortunately. But let's just say, if Target were smart about it and they put it where my store is, which is the top in our district in pretty much every aspect of sales ESPECIALLY market, it would be a riot.

They won't close them. They'll start remodeling them. I have 1 remodeled like the pfresh layout, except it's a super. They took out the jewelry boat, low profiled shoes and housewares, and rearranged the crap outta the place!

However they will never build another one. They announced several years ago they were done building them as pfresh was the way of the future.

Last edited:
Remodeling a ST is expensive. Much lower scale now than they used to be from what I have been told. At the onset a new store would have been cheaper. I can't divulge much more as I don't want to give too many hints as to my identity.

Remodeling a ST is expensive. Much lower scale now than they used to be from what I have been told. At the onset a new store would have been cheaper. I can't divulge much more as I don't want to give too many hints as to my identity.

I've lost all hope on my store being remodeled.. We're almost 18 years old and mixed with unstable ground and unchanged processes, we're falling apart fast. Corp has approved a series of projects (to spruce us up) but we won't get anything major for quite a while.

From what I understand - the newest Super Target opened in Woodbury, MN about 4 years ago and that was the last of it's kind; constructing new Super Targets was "discontinued" indefinitely. Reasons for this are apparently that a Super Target - while it driving an insane amount of sales compared to PFresh counterparts - is not actually that profitable. Outfits such as the deli and bakery typically lose money. GM and PFresh stores do lower volumes of sales, yet are easier to keep profitable. Personally, I think Super Targets are where it's at. Where I'm from, all of the Super Targets are jam packed with people daily. PFresh stores, not so much. They're like a cute "hey me too! what about me!". Clearly guests prefer the Super T experience over the PFresh one. Target just needs to figure out how to make it profitable. Literally hundreds of other retailers run profitable grocery operations, so it shouldn't be too large a task.

In Georgia (metro Atlanta and surrounding suburbs), I can't remember the last time a non-super Target opened. There are some older stores that are land-locked and couldn't expand to add grocery, but I avoid those at all costs.

Non-super Targets are dingy and outdated—kind of like how I remember Kmart being before they went out of business—and just going in one make me feel claustrophobic even if it is clean and well kept. I will drive 20 miles and pass one or two non-supers just to go to a SuperTarget location.

The biggest impact is the value of free gift cards with purchase—they are as good as cash back if you have grocery available at a supertarget. They are nearly useless if not. Plus the team member discount on all our grocery shopping saves us at least an extra $20-$30 per month.

Target would never survive in Atlanta without grocery, so if they were to downsize all of the supertargets here then it wouldn't be long before Target became a failed relic of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back