Archived Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
im closing for the first time tonight. I'm not looking forward to it, lol. My question is why do they schedule cashiers to work until 11 when they know you aren't going to actually leave until like 12? The way my hours are scheduled, I won't get a meal. But if I stay until 12 I will hit meal compliance. Does that make sense?

im closing for the first time tonight. I'm not looking forward to it, lol. My question is why do they schedule cashiers to work until 11 when they know you aren't going to actually leave until like 12? The way my hours are scheduled, I won't get a meal. But if I stay until 12 I will hit meal compliance. Does that make sense?

If you are in a 6 hour state, they will make sure you get out in 5 hours 59 min. You wil get one 15 min. break.
I am in a 6 hour state, and my store often scheduled cashiers for 5 hr. 45 min. shifts.

Also, my store did not allow cashiers to stay once all guests were checked out.

If you are in a 6 hour state, they will make sure you get out in 5 hours 59 min. You wil get one 15 min. break.
I am in a 6 hour state, and my store often scheduled cashiers for 5 hr. 45 min. shifts.

id take a 5.75 hour shift over a 2.5 hour shift Im scheduled in 2 weeks

id take a 5.75 hour shift over a 2.5 hour shift Im scheduled in 2 weeks
Check your state some states there is a minimum number of hrs they can sechdule you to work in one shift mine is 3 hours some 4 hours

At my store, cashiers, cart attendant, and backroom leave at 11pm when we close. Only sales floor, GSTL/GSA, and service desk stay past closing.

Why would you be there an hour after the store closes. If your scheduled till 11 and your store closes at 11 you should be leaving after the last guest is out the door. If you were expected to be there till midnight you would be scheduled as such. When I am the closing GSTL-GSA, I am scheduled till 30 minutes after the store closes. So if we close at 11, I am scheduled to leave at 1130. In my store the only team members that stay after we close are the LOD, the GSTL-GSA, and occasionally a TL if there is one closing. We are usually out the door in under 30 minutes from the time the store closes, short of any issues that might cause us to stay latter.

All stores operate differently as far as closing goes. At my store, cashiers would stick around and clean up the front lanes (fill bags, clean conveyor belts, zone endcaps/card wall/Bullyseye's Playground, etc.) until after the GSA/GSTL gets back from doing the CO. Then, once the GSA/GSTL approves, the cashiers will go clock out. They don't stick around to help out the salesfloor. They are the only people who will almost always stay past closing to finish up reshop/zones/etc. If it's been a crazy night and the Salesfloor team got hit hard, the LOD will sometimes ask the GSA/GSTL to stay behind and help. Latest I can remember sticking around was until about 2:45AM as a closing GSA (Our store closes at midnight) towards the end of fourth quarter. Nowadays, no matter how badly the floor looks we will be out the door by 1AM.

All stores operate differently as far as closing goes. At my store, cashiers would stick around and clean up the front lanes (fill bags, clean conveyor belts, zone endcaps/card wall/Bullyseye's Playground, etc.) .

My store expected cashiers to do all of that, except fill bags, between guests. Plus stock and FIFO candy. CAs were expected to fill bags during their shift.

I have never filled bags and I've never been asked too. There are way more important duties for a CA than that!

Last edited:
At my store cashiers have to stay until soft lines is done. When all the guests are gone we have to refill bags, register paper, etc. then if soft lines needs help we have to help them. I ended up leaving before 11:30 due to the 6 hour meal compliance.

Why would you be there an hour after the store closes. If your scheduled till 11 and your store closes at 11 you should be leaving after the last guest is out the door. If you were expected to be there till midnight you would be scheduled as such. When I am the closing GSTL-GSA, I am scheduled till 30 minutes after the store closes. So if we close at 11, I am scheduled to leave at 1130. In my store the only team members that stay after we close are the LOD, the GSTL-GSA, and occasionally a TL if there is one closing. We are usually out the door in under 30 minutes from the time the store closes, short of any issues that might cause us to stay latter.

My store is the same way. Years ago when there were more hours, one cashier would be scheduled 30 min after close to zone the lanes, collect re-shop and hangers, etc. and they'd leave with the LOD, GSTL and other TL(s). Now they shoo everyone out the door ASAP because my STL is anal about payroll.

Until recently, we had an overnight flow process, so if the team stayed late to zone, they'd just get in the flow team's way.

Check with your GSTL/GSA.

Some stores have cashiers close with the floor team. Others have cashiers help close/zone just the front and service desk and plan to be out before 11pm. Other stores have cashiers leave after the last guest.

When I closed as cashier I had to stock bags, take out trash, and put up the hangers. I also fronted the sodas, end caps and the card wall and put abandons up. I would usually get out by about 1015 to 1030 since my store closed at 10.

During the holidays I would have to help other departments zone after close, but it was very rare.

mine was similar but if the zone or reshop was really hurting the GSA/GSTL was asked to see if anyone was willing to stay to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back