CNN is now reporting on stores!

"Target has been adding workers to help it keep up with growth. It has hired more than 35,000 new workers over the last two years.."
I'm curious to know what the retention rate and average hours are for all of those new workers.

"Target has been adding workers to help it keep up with growth. It has hired more than 35,000 new workers over the last two years.."
I'm curious to know what the retention rate and average hours are for all of those new workers.
35,000 (new workers) divided by 1,800 (stores) = 19.44 (per store) divided by 2 (years) = 9.72 (new worker each year) ... so thats not even enough for the Christmas rush , WTF.
and how many have left after 1 day, lol

Unfortunately, most companies now have no clue how to retain employees.
I've trained new team members and watched as they job abandon within days of finishing their training. The whispers I've heard...too much work for what they get paid. I guess they expect an easy job.

Theirs a presidential candidate named andrèw yàng who did the math and can actually give all Americans $1000/month as a cushion to help pay bills, or help you escape from an abusive work, or relationship. target and any retail are abusive.
I just don’t think that’s feasible. You can make anything mathematically work, but implementing it is a whole other story.

I've trained new team members and watched as they job abandon within days of finishing their training. The whispers I've heard...too much work for what they get paid. I guess they expect an easy job.
I thought this was an easy job. A lot easier than road work, being a trash collector, working for Amazon apparently, etc. etc. I'm honestly happy with my hourly rate, if I could keep the number of hours up.

I thought this was an easy job. A lot easier than road work, being a trash collector, working for Amazon apparently, etc. etc. I'm honestly happy with my hourly rate, if I could keep the number of hours up.
We (some Tm's and i)were actually discussing this a while back. Our theory is that most people believe a stereotype of retail. It's a simple job, cashiering or stocking shelves. It's a good part time job or first job. Most people don't think past that. Once they get hired and realize that oh hey you have a whole list of tasks to do, the run scared.
Hell, I've lost track of how many times I've had to explain what price accuracy or presentation is and been met with shock that there are positions other than cashier, stocker and manager. One that sticks out is an acquaintance asked me about her 19 year old getting a job at my store. I told her what positions were open at the time, Plano, flow and softlines. I, then had to explain each job. She was dumbfounded that these jobs existed in retail. "OMG he can't do that! He needs something easy that's why I told him to go to Target! It's retail, it's an easy job!"
Mind you, she was a major helicopter mom but apparently all retail jobs are easy.

I'm finding this trying to train new seasonals for OPU. They all seem to think they've been hired for a chill job and they're just going to be able to walk around the store at a leisurely pace grabbing items. Most of the time it is one of the easiest jobs at the store. But, they don't want to move fast and they seem to think that looking for things that aren't right where they are supposed to be is just too much work. As one of my co-workers said, "They hire all these kids. The kids want to get paid, but they don't want to work."

Don’t underestimate the impact of stories like these on brand image. Hopefully Target takes action to address it, besides a defensive PR spin.
I saw this article on Twitter and the comments regarding the employees were not kind. It was a "We told you so" attitude for being greedy for the $15 an hour. Hey, we didn't ask for it, Target offered it.

The last paragraph in the CNN story will force spot to change because they will have no choice if this fair work -week catches on in more cities, they will not be able to hire all the seasonal help before offering more hours to existing employees. Just hope it catches on fast and believe it will, too bad target, payback time is coming !

this is so accurate! You can have all the OT you want in the 4th quarter. Its not scheduled, you just screw any life you have. For the people who say there are hours if you're willing to work, I bought into that line of BS too.
Another thing about hours that our store tried to have all of us believe was that we should really focus on selling (our VML once said we should act like we're getting a commission, seriously?!) because it would lead to more hours for us. Yeah, right. Our store was doing amazing in sales and giving people with open availability less than 20 hours, and they felt entitled to everyone's free time, especially if they knew you weren't in school.

You can't really blame them, comparing the tasks for a regular salesfloor apparel TM when I was hired in 2015 vs when I left in 2019 and the tasks had tripled or even quadrupled, but there isn't more payroll to accommodate for that. In 2015 the culture was more lax and carefree and leaders weren't always "GO, GO, GO!" Modernization really affected turnover; there was a good group of us that stayed long-term. We're all gone now. I hadn't seen many good TM stay longer than a few months since modernization... You can go to Nordstrom, get paid more and you're expected to do a lot less and you don't have helicopter managers...

Last edited:
Another thing about hours that our store tried to have all of us believe was that we should really focus on selling (our VML once said we should act like we're getting a commission, seriously?!) because it would lead to more hours for us. Yeah, right. Our store was doing amazing in sales and giving people with open availability less than 20 hours, and they felt entitled to everyone's free time, especially if they knew you weren't in school.

You can't really blame them, comparing the tasks for a regular salesfloor apparel TM when I was hired in 2015 vs when I left in 2019 and the tasks had tripled or even quadrupled, but there isn't more payroll to accommodate for that. In 2015 the culture was more lax and carefree and leaders weren't always "GO, GO, GO!" Modernization really affected turnover; there was a good group of us that stayed long-term. We're all gone now. I hadn't seen many good TM stay longer than a few months since modernization... You can go to Nordstrom, get paid more and you're expected to do a lot less and you don't have helicopter managers...
I don't know why stores like Target try to push that commission mentality. As a shopper, I do not want sales people up my butt as I'm shopping. Greet me and go about your business; if I need you, I will let you know. I will avoid stores with salespeople that will jump on you as soon as you walk in and start rattling off the specials and hover around you. I don't know anyone who likes or wants that in their shopping experience, that crap is for rich people shopping at high-end stores. I thought the "mirrors on the fitting room" thing where TMs were supposed to start fitting rooms for guests and write their names on the mirrors was ridiculous. Target guests do not expect or want that from TMs, trust me.

Speaking of which, Nordstrom may expect less task-wise but if I'm being totally honest, customer service is probably my least favorite aspect of retail. LOL. I'm a tasker and like to keep busy. I don't mind helping guests when they ask me, but I would never want to work at a job where focusing solely on guests is all that you do all day. I would go nuts with boredom, because even in those types of stores, a lot of customers just want to be left alone to shop. And I definitely would never want to work on any type of commission basis, way too unpredictable.

ETA: Also, I suspect that the lax and carefree attitude of the past is why, when I was first hired, there were many carts of unsorted reshop and full racks of go backs at the fitting room, and the salesfloor was half empty and stuff was in the wrong place. As a newbie, it drove me nuts that people were standing around chatting or moving in slow motion when there was obviously so much work to do.

Last edited:
Back