Archived Coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a coaching any time you are pulled into the office or do they actually say you're being coached?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

That is pretty much a (formal) coaching when you are pulled into an office. When you have to sign a paper it is now a Corrective Action

Yep I was subjected to a two-TL documented coaching this past winter. As long as you didn't sign anything, it's probably a coaching. If you signed something, anything, 99.9% chance you're on CA.

Sometimes they do a seek to understand, when they pull you in the office. You could always ask. I make it a point to tell my team that they are being coached, what it could lead to, and how to improve. It's only fair to give them a realistic view of their situation.

Sometimes they do a seek to understand, when they pull you in the office. You could always ask. I make it a point to tell my team that they are being coached, what it could lead to, and how to improve. It's only fair to give them a realistic view of their situation.

I have to say way too many of the bosses do a piss poor job of communicating just exactly what it is they are doing and what they expect during these little get togethers.
We get so many people asking just what the hell happened to them it can't just be the TMs.

If it's a performance discussion, we are supposed to inform the TM as such, otherwise it's just a seek to understand.

If it's a performance discussion, we are supposed to inform the TM as such, otherwise it's just a seek to understand.

Which is fine but most of the time the TMs don't understand the difference and we get threads with them freaking out because they got pulled aside and talked to without the ETL or TL making it clear just exactly what the the level of the talking was.
Clear communication has never been a constant and it seems to be a major issue when it comes down to these situations

And having been in the position to discover that what I thought was simple "Hey, could you put this up when you get the chance?" was actually a coaching until I got a CA with it written down as such, I know the whole process can be used as a gotcha.

Is a coaching any time you are pulled into the office or do they actually say you're being coached?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I used to do them with my front end team, and HR MANDATED that we include a form of "Failing to improve/correct your performance can lead to further formal corrective actions." while we talked to them, and that we included their response when we documented it

Once again, communication is the key. Far too often leaders will tell TM's something and expect them to completely understand both the message itself and the meaning behind it. Simple communication? Change of process? STU? Coaching? I feel sorry for TM's who are pulled into a serious conversation with a TL or an ETL yet aren't explicitly told what type of conversation it is.

On the other hand, TM's can play dumb too. If me and the ETL-Log pull you into the HR office to talk about multiple safety violations, you shouldn't act surprised when you're told it's a coaching ;)

My one and only coaching was done on the floor on the fly, while I was on lunch, by the ETL who had a personal grudge against humanity.....after she fussed at me, she said "Thats a coaching!".....she got a coaching about coaching that way......

Are they legally obligated to give you a copy or is it just company policy?

They have to follow compliance laws. They have to provide you with a copy. Whether the employee signs it or not doesn't matter. They just have to give you the opportunity to sign and record instances where the employee refused to sign. This is all for unemployment hearings or other litigation.

Same goes for reviews. You don't have to sign, HR just has to give you the opportunity to sign. If an employee doesn't sign then a HR representative can sign on their behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back