Archived Official standards outlining coaching methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before. For the past few years, my TL has gotten into the habit of publicly criticizing/coaching TMs on our daily communication log. Its really embarrassing and feels very toxic. Without going into too much detail, she crossed the line with her “feedback” today. I’m going to contact the integrity hotline, but was wondering if there’s a handbook or some resource that outlines the appropriate time/place for coachings? Thank you in advance!

Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before. For the past few years, my TL has gotten into the habit of publicly criticizing/coaching TMs on our daily communication log. Its really embarrassing and feels very toxic. Without going into too much detail, she crossed the line with her “feedback” today. I’m going to contact the integrity hotline, but was wondering if there’s a handbook or some resource that outlines the appropriate time/place for coachings? Thank you in advance!
Like HMM said, I'd document and talk with your own store leaders before going to the IH. Too many stories about TMs "anonymously" calling the IH and having the report traced by the store back to the TM with bad results. This isn't a conspiracy theory or "I hate Target" rant, it's actually consistent with human nature for better or worse. See if you can resolve the problem at the store level.

Totally normal. Public shaming works very often.

Document events & talk to your etl, hr or stl.
I’m weary of doing this. my TL has been in a leadership position since our store opened in 1992. she is good friends with all the ETLs/STL and all the other TLs. she’s very manipulative— several of my coworkers have asked her to not put them on blast so publicly, and she twists words and comes back with something along the lines of “its my job to give feedback, and it’s your job to make sure your work is up to my standards.” Swear to god, i once wrote on the communication log something like “super busy night, couldn’t get to XYZ” and she told
me that if I knowingly didn’t do tasks, but had time to write about it, I didn’t have an excuse and that she turned that note into HR because it seemed “combative”

At the end of the day, her behavior doesn’t affect me or make me think I’m a bad worker, but it does create a toxic work environment and it’s just not right. And of course she has her favorite workers who get the complete opposite treatment..

Now I’m in a ranty mood, forgive me. Last year I was told by several coworkers that she was talking shit about me to them, I confronted her. She had the audacity to say “I’m not okay with my conversations being spread around, whoever is telling you these things needs to stop it” No apology or denial, just that I shouldn’t have heard that she was bad mouthing me.

Document events & talk to your etl, hr or stl.
Like HMM said, I'd document and talk with your own store leaders before going to the IH. Too many stories about TMs "anonymously" calling the IH and having the report traced by the store back to the TM with bad results. This isn't a conspiracy theory or "I hate Target" rant, it's actually consistent with human nature for better or worse. See if you can resolve the problem at the store level.
^This. Sorry you are in a bad spot with your TL, but the hotline is there to protect Spot, not team members, and calling them could make things worse for you, not better. Just saying. As for your TL, she may hold a leadership position, but she is not a leader. True leaders don’t badmouth TMs to other TMs, criticize them in public or play favorites, and if she hasn’t yet realized why she shouldn’t write negative things in the communication log, may the day soon come when that bit of information is made perfectly clear to her by her supervisors...

^This. Sorry you are in a bad spot with your TL, but the hotline is there to protect Spot, not team members, and calling them could make things worse for you, not better. Just saying. As for your TL, she may hold a leadership position, but she is not a leader. True leaders don’t badmouth TMs to other TMs, criticize them in public or play favorites, and if she hasn’t yet realized why she shouldn’t write negative things in the communication log, may the day soon come when that bit of information is made perfectly clear to her by her supervisors...

Thank you for that- honestly. That’s what I feared about the hotline.. that’s why I was trying to find out if I could reference a specific ethics violation so it didn’t seem like I was just upset that I got called out. I know she won’t get her comeuppance without solid, verifiable evidence. She’s not a leader that’s for sure, and she has burned plenty of bridges with old TMs because of her “managerial style” but like I said, is very manipulative and can make herself the victim in any situation.

On a happy final note, the TL for my department at our sister store has been wanting to recruit me for a few months, I think I will go that route. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back