Archived Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is coaching? Is it done in an HR office or anywhere? If you are coached are you called in all official-like and given a good talking to? I have never been coached but have made my fair share of mistakes. I am a seasonal employee hoping to get a permanent position when my 90 days are up. Can they call me in at the end of my 90 days and tell me that they aren't going to hire me permanently because I did a bazillion things wrong (but was never coached for them)?

They don't have to tell you anything at all about why they aren't going to hire you permanently if you were hired as seasonal.
They will just say we're sorry, we don't need you.

I guess I'm just kind of paranoid. I feel like I'm doing a good job. I work really hard, have never been late, have worked past my shift when asked, and have a good attitude. I am friendly and polite although often it seems like regular employees don't want to be friendly or talk to me at all. I am older and have arthritis so I don't move as fast as some of the young'uns, but I am constantly moving and doing my very best. I have made some dumb mistakes, I admit. I guess my question is, if I am seasonal will they do me the courtesy of coaching me if my mistakes are endangering me getting a permanent position or will they just bide their time and let me go when my 90 days are up?

I guess I'm just kind of paranoid. I feel like I'm doing a good job. I work really hard, have never been late, have worked past my shift when asked, and have a good attitude. I am friendly and polite although often it seems like regular employees don't want to be friendly or talk to me at all. I am older and have arthritis so I don't move as fast as some of the young'uns, but I am constantly moving and doing my very best. I have made some dumb mistakes, I admit. I guess my question is, if I am seasonal will they do me the courtesy of coaching me if my mistakes are endangering me getting a permanent position or will they just bide their time and let me go when my 90 days are up?

Have you expressed interest to your assigned team leader about wanting to jump into a permanent position? If not, that would be a good place to start.

Yes, my team leader and HR both know. I guess I'll just have to wait and see and plan for whatever comes my way. Thanks for your responses!

I am friendly and polite although often it seems like regular employees don't want to be friendly or talk to me at all.

Don't take that too personally. Most of the older team members are used to the revolving door of seasonal team members that come around this time of year, and don't usually get too attached with many newbies just because A: there's a crap-ton, and B: There are a lot who don't stick around too long because they either quit, or don't stay past Christmas. Unfortunately that's how it goes this time of year, but if you get hired on permanently, and it sounds like you probably have a good chance, people will get friendlier. I started as seasonal and experienced the same things you did :)

if I am seasonal will they do me the courtesy of coaching me if my mistakes are endangering me getting a permanent position or will they just bide their time and let me go when my 90 days are up?

This is somewhat accurate, at least in my store. Our leadership doesn't usually do too much follow-up or verbal coachings with the ones they're not planning on keeping because what's the point? They usually invest more time in the ones they see potential in and are thinking of keeping. Does this mean that you're not going to get hired if no one approaches you about mistakes? Absolutely not. However, you don't have to wait for them to come to you, either. If you actively seek feedback from your TL's and ETL's on your zone performance, reshop and pulls, etc, that will show them that you have a desire to learn and are taking initiative, and they love that.

What exactly is coaching? Is it done in an HR office or anywhere? If you are coached are you called in all official-like and given a good talking to? I have never been coached but have made my fair share of mistakes. I am a seasonal employee hoping to get a permanent position when my 90 days are up. Can they call me in at the end of my 90 days and tell me that they aren't going to hire me permanently because I did a bazillion things wrong (but was never coached for them)?

I can't say for certain about a coaching (other than what commiecorvus said), but for a corrective action or higher, you would be pulled into an office.

As others have said, make it known to your leadership that you want to be successful so that you stand a chance of being hired on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back