Archived College degree

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm a TL with a college degree and have been working for target for a little over half a year. I want more pay tbh and spent 7 years in my degree field but actually enjoy retail much more. I've actually never seen any TL at any store I've been to or trained at that had a degree..only some ETLs and up do. I've even heard of ETLs getting that job right out of school with no experience and not even a related degree. Would I be going about it wrong to apply for higher positions or even an ETL internship? I was told by another ETL at my store that I do more than many of his peers...I don't want to step on toes but I feel like from what I've seen I should be in a higher position.

Any other TL's with degrees here?

So, I'm a TL with a college degree and have been working for target for a little over half a year. I want more pay tbh and spent 7 years in my degree field but actually enjoy retail much more. I've actually never seen any TL at any store I've been to or trained at that had a degree..only some ETLs and up do. I've even heard of ETLs getting that job right out of school with no experience and not even a related degree. Would I be going about it wrong to apply for higher positions or even an ETL internship? I was told by another ETL at my store that I do more than many of his peers...I don't want to step on toes but I feel like from what I've seen I should be in a higher position.

Don't look at it like you'd be stepping on toes, instead look it at it like you're realizing your potential and working in the best possible capacity to benefit Target.

If you're capable of being a good ETL but you're holding yourself back with a SrTL position, Target is worse off for that. Take care of yourself first so you can optimally take care of Target.

Besides if you applied for and got an ETL internship, it would not be at your current store so you wouldn't be stepping on the toes of any of your current peers. They would send you to a different store.

If you are done with school, you can't do an internship. Talk to your STL and DTL about your desire to promote. It's the next step from SR. They should expect you to want to promote, and will be able to get you the support you need. It is up to you to make your interest known.

Whats your degree?

It used to be that any degree would get you moved up. I had an ETL that had a degree in Environmental Studies. But after about 4 years, he was pushed out. Stores now want business/marketing or something relating to retail.

Whats your degree?

It used to be that any degree would get you moved up. I had an ETL that had a degree in Environmental Studies. But after about 4 years, he was pushed out. Stores now want business/marketing or something relating to retail.

Asants. We just had an etl ge tain at my store who graduated in communications

You really only need a business degree if you are hoping to be an stl.

don't want to step on toes but I feel like from

It's highly improbable you would promote at the same store. So you wouldn't step on anyone's toes.

I would ask around and see how your district does things. Mine seems to only hire external etls. But some districts will promote a senior to etl. Just depends on the district leadership.

So now we know you have a college degree, a really long way of bragging about it. A college degree gives you an advantage, but it doesn't give you a right to be an A**hole.

Having a degree does not entitle you to better pay or a promotion. If you think you have the skill sets for an ETL position then by all means but there are plenty of TM's, TL's that have degrees that are not ETL material

So now we know you have a college degree, a really long way of bragging about it. A college degree gives you an advantage, but it doesn't give you a right to be an A**hole.

I'm not quite sure why you seem so defensive about my post as I am not "bragging" about having a degree but saying I haven't interacted with a single person in my position that has a degree. All the degreed people in the few stores I've been at went straight to ETL. I was more wondering if I should of just went that route instead. I didn't know what an ETL was vs a Sr when I was applying....wasn't aware of Target lingo.

My degree is in secondary education and educational leadership.

Having a degree does not entitle you to better pay or a promotion. If you think you have the skill sets for an ETL position then by all means but there are plenty of TM's, TL's that have degrees that are not ETL material

I never said it "entitled" me to anything. I think the amount of work I do on a regular basis far outweighs that of some of the ETL's at my store (and that's according to another ETL). I just was wondering if it would be something I should inquire about or wait until more time has passed since I've only really been here half a year...

It probably changed by now, but a former STL of mine had her degree in English.

I never said it "entitled" me to anything. I think the amount of work I do on a regular basis far outweighs that of some of the ETL's at my store (and that's according to another ETL). I just was wondering if it would be something I should inquire about or wait until more time has passed since I've only really been here half a year...

you said you wanted more pay because an ETL said you worked hard and that you personally think you should be in a higher position. I don't know why you're getting defensive. College degrees are a dime a dozen these days and that alone does not make someone qualified to be an ETL. You have to be able to lead, motivate and train a large group of workers in addition to setting a good example to others by working hard.

Like I said, if you think you're qualified for an ETL position then go for it, but if you're doing it soley for the bump in pay then you might be in for some disappointment. Doing more work than your ETL is standard practice for Target. I work with TM's, TL's and ETL's that are lazy and others that work their asses off. The TM's and TL's are told to work harder while the ETL's take credit for the stuff that gets done. But, they also take the heat when stuff doesn't get done.

Having a degree does not entitle you to better pay or a promotion.
giphy.gif

Some sr tl that were promoted said they dont see a lot of diferencie in $ because they work more time...

I'm a TL with a degree. My store has people higher up without degrees. We have TM, TLs, and ETLs with and without degrees. The degree means nothing because it doesn't necessarily mean you can handle the position.

Target has been hiring fresh college grads and almost all of them that came to my store quit or got fired. The degree is irrelevant.

I work extremely hard and if I get promoted it'll be because of the results I produce. Most don't even know I have a degree because I don't see the point in mentioning it.

Your post should be more about your work ethic and how you drive results. You talked too much about a degree. Everyone has those these days.

I'm a TL with a degree. My store has people higher up without degrees. We have TM, TLs, and ETLs with and without degrees. The degree means nothing because it doesn't necessarily mean you can handle the position.

Target has been hiring fresh college grads and almost all of them that came to my store quit or got fired. The degree is irrelevant.

I recently interviewed for Senior and my STL told me a similar story. He said Target is going away with Bachelor requirements for ETL's and above and putting more focus on retail management experience along with 2-3 years of Target experience. Not sure how much truth there is in that statement but definitely sounds good to me!

Heck there are ETLs with degrees that aren't team member material!
Yea im not understanding what your identifying as "TM material" are you stating that their not ABLE to do the TM's role like physically, or work ethic, because work ethic is something ive seen lacking in frresh grads and people without degrees alike... or what specifically? I believe you... im just wondering what your stating as the metric for how your judging ETL's, thats all

thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back