Coming to WA State Targets and other stores: soon, no tax exemption for Oregon, AK etc

It would be stupid to be pissed. Most states have always required everyone to pay sales tax.
It's been a perk our state government created decades ago to help businesses located close to the oregon border. Oregon, Alaska, Alberta and Montana haven't had a sales tax, this was supposed to make it attractive for them to shop in WA when they travel here. This more likely affects Targets close to Oregon - Vancouver, Kelso and Richland - but tax-exempt visiting guests do show up at other WA Targets. P.S. I've never processed a tax exempt sale for Yukon or NWT, but had exactly one for Delaware.

On a couple of occasions, guests falsely claimed that Guam was tax exempt (it isn't). I remember them arguing with our LOD for over 20 minutes, the LOD didn't budge.

Last edited:
This has always been something that Alaskans have used when we shopped in the lower 48.
We would show our state ID and they would take the tax off.
There are going to be a lot of annoyed Alaskans, mostly because it has been the way they've done it for a long time and this wasn't announced.

Wait...those guests from Oregon aren't lying when they say they don't get charged tax at stores outside of Oregon??? I thought they were pulling smoke out of their ass trying to not pay California taxes (which is understandable; I don't want to pay the 9% and I live here).

Wait...those guests from Oregon aren't lying when they say they don't get charged tax at stores outside of Oregon??? I thought they were pulling smoke out of their ass trying to not pay California taxes (which is understandable; I don't want to pay the 9% and I live here).
Oregon has no sales tax. And as long as the state government works how it did 20 years ago it never will, the voters won't allow it.

20190701_112401.jpg

So was Washington just being nice by not charging tax? Like, if I was from a no-tax state and was vacationing in Washington, I would just show them my license and say "my state charges no tax" and they would just take the tax off? Why? I have shopped in other states and in Canada and the issue has never come up. Is this just for online shopping and/or ship to store?

Yes, being nice, yes, trying to draw business across the border so businesses in Washington get richer. No on the license, it was border states only, to keep the flow of traffic coming in on a frequent basis.

Well, Washington state just blew that deal. Oregon residents won’t come over to shop and Washington residents will still scoot over the border and spend their money tax-free in Oregon (for things that don’t have to be registered, like cars). And I thought only Spot was that adept at shooting themselves in the foot...😂 Still love Washington state though...

Speaking of tax, I am in WA rn visiting family and oh my word, the tax on gasoline is absolutely ridiculous!!!! Since we are close to a reservation, we were given a tip to gas up there to avoid the tax.

Oregon has no sales tax. And as long as the state government works how it did 20 years ago it never will, the voters won't allow it.
Oh, I knew Oregon didn't have sales tax, I used to go to Bend every summer. What I didn't believe was other states allowed Oregon residents to not pay tax in their state.

Oh, I knew Oregon didn't have sales tax, I used to go to Bend every summer. What I didn't believe was other states allowed Oregon residents to not pay tax in their state.
Sounds like it's a West Coast thing. East Coast ain't letting anyone slide on paying taxes, lol.

FYI this wasn't Target changing its policy. This was Washington lawmakers closing a tax loophole that was meant to help attract Oregon customers to Washington businesses located close to the Oregon border. Note that Oregon has a VERY high state income tax, Washington has NO state income tax.

Technically, customers from tax-exempt places (Oregon, Alaska, Alberta, Montana et al) can still submit a form with receipts once a year to Washington's revenue department requesting a PARTIAL refund of the sales tax, but it's time consuming. The change made news in Oregon a few weeks ago, so some of Oregon guests knew about it, but others Oregon and the other tax-exempt states/provinces were annoyed. We just told guests that state law now requires us to collect the tax, but they can go to the DOR website to learn how to apply via mail for a partial refund.

Although rare at our store, in Washington enrolled Indian tribe members can claim sales tax exemption at "off the reservation" stores. I've processed a few of those. I'm guessing that settlements between states and tribes, related to old tribal treaties, are why this sales tax exemption exists. Oddly, when non-Indians visit restaurants or stores located on tribal land, most tribes charge a "tribal sales tax" to non-tribal customers.

Another group which is still tax-exempt are foreign diplomats with appropriate US state dept ID. I've processed several of those for local consulates.

Last edited:
First time posting. I've been getting taxed on my pay checks in both Oregon and Washington state. Yes, you read that correctly. I was hired as a seasonal employee. I live and work in Washington state, however when I had started I just moved up from Oregon and used an Oregon address. However after 4 paychecks and asking everyone in hr and hroc for 2 months and bitching about it everyday, I was finally able to get assistance logging in to change my address. (I had no luck logging in for 2 months! I sat on hold with hroc and several other number on the cards management hands out to avoid any extra work because God forbid they lift a finger). The account issue has been resolved, after two months, the address has been fixed, however I'm still be taxed twice. All the taxes of Oregon, and Washington. My issue has not been resolved. Management has not lifted a finger. Hroc has not been very helpful, only put me on hold for more than 90 mins this last time only to hang up. I have called them everyday since the day after I got my first paycheck.

How can I get all of that money back?

Who can I talk to about the management not being helpful at all and this process taking longer that it should to get resolved?

Is there any compensation for this inconvenience of the company not helping to resolve the account issue to potentially fix this issue because there's no way Oregon would refund all of which that was taken out. I feel like I've been robbed. (yes the issue was my fault to be in with, but I've taken all the steps to resolve this and yet, the issues is still ongoing. It's been months now.)

Back