Archived Comp Shop Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who else is upset about the new Comp Shop update? Way to make the job harder for those who actually comp shop correctly and not make up the prices.

Yeah, I regret updating my two PDAs. I didn't know what the update consisted of until I read about it afterwards. Even trying to figure out how to update the darn thing was annoying enough. I had to hunt down the announcement in workbench and I can't even tell you how I found it. The announcement on the PDA is not clear on it and didn't alert me about it until last week after the date the update was supposed to be done. Supposedly there will be audits to see which stores actually did them, but a part of me thinks that was just said to get people to do it.

Basically what the update changes is that it's taking away the previous price of items and the 'no change in price' choice. In the announcement, it's said they're doing this to ensure that the correct price is found. So they're trying to keep people away from just making up the price. The issue I have with this though is that I like seeing the previous price so that I'm having better judgement on the correct item. It just makes the process a lot slower for me when I have to re-question myself. When I see Olay Lotion 15 oz for 6.79, and I see an Olay Lotion infront of me for 6.78 that looks about the size of a 15 oz bottle, I feel confident enough to say, "Okay, that's it." Now I have to get closer to the item, look for the size, and judge if it's correct by the poor descriptions they give us already. What used to take about 10 - 20 seconds an item now takes me almost 45 seconds to two minutes per item. Those minutes add up. You need to complete 80% of that in six hours, including your lunch and break? It's not happening.

I completely understand that they don't want people to make up their prices. That's fine and dandy. But allot me more time then. And better descriptions. And better equipment. Target has been doing this process for a very long time with little to no changes.

Let me also state that every time I scan an item, it never works. Supposedly it does for others though from what I reading about other shoppers? I've done this for the last year now, and four years before that, two years and never has the scanner worked for me and I know that the item is the correct one on the list. I've tried this on at least five different PDAs. Scanning would actually make the process easier, if it worked.

Also, just a heads up for those who want to make life easier on an item you're unsure if the price is correct or not. If you type in an outrageous price, say 0.01, the message saying that item has a 40% change in difference of price will appear and it shows you the previous price. Then you're given the option to change it if you wish. I've done this several times to help me out, but I'm unsure if the reports show how many times that message appears. Either way, it makes life a little easier for that item that just says 'Barbie assist' and you're like.. "Seriously?"

The wally world near us always dropped off the last digits of the UPC to discourage compers.
Didn't matter, tho, since we could eyeball the majority of the digits.

The wally world near us always dropped off the last digits of the UPC to discourage compers.
Didn't matter, tho, since we could eyeball the majority of the digits.

Meanwhile, their comper is in your store.
I love how the Wally where I work has the sign saying "compers will be asked to leave." I guess that means they're fine with their compers getting kicked out of the stores they comp.

Re: compers will be asked to leave - I wish someone would go ahead & challenge them on it. There was a supreme court decision handed down years back after a guy was kicked out of Best Buy & his clipboard taken away simply because he wanted to find the best deal on a stereo (THAT tells you how long ago it was). It's not like they're any stranger to lawsuits.
Comping isn't illegal but Wallyworld will always try to paint it as bothering their customers & a list of manufactured reasons. Meanwhile their compers used to leave abandoned carts of dripping perishables & half-consumed drinks on shelves.
Personally, I'd LOVE to see their compers kicked out of our store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back