Archived Comp Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been Compshopping for some time now. I'm extremely aggravated because I've been red for a while. I've tried everything. I'd complete the shop: and I'd be red. I wouldn't hit the not carried button: still red. I'd shoot for completing 80% of my shop: still red.

I know there is a process to it and no one will tell me the answer. I've looked at the scoring and it still doesn't make very much sense. Any comp shopper that is green, please tell me what you aim for. Do you complete the list, or do you let all the items not carried roll off? Do you aim for 80% and leave the 20% unmarked, or do you end up hitting "item not carried" on 20% of the items? All I've been able to do is keep our store as competitive as possible with Walmart, but I'd love to have a green score. Also, I usually don't found around 40-60 items. I work for a ULV store and I'm shopping a Super Target, does that matter? Thanks

When I have to fill in for my Comp Shopper (love the overtime that comes with it since it's on top of my 40), I let the (Items not Carried roll over instead of constantly hitting the button. I always hit Pet Food, Chemicals, Cosmetics, and HBA no matter what, because that is what clears most of the list....Dry Grocery as well. Another thing to try, instead of hitting No Change in Price, type in that same price which didn't change. If I remember correctly, if you select the No Change in Price or Item not Carried button more than 10-15% of the workload, then you will not be green, and could possibly end up in the red.

I have my Comp Shopper shoot for 73% complete shop and we've been Green for two years! If you complete the shop, you'll be red! if you don't complete enough of the shop, you'll be red! Targets philosophy is that if you are completing the shop, your not doing it correctly, Yes, I know that's kinda of Ironic, but remember we work for Target. LOL
Some tricks that I know my comp Shopper does. 1) don't use the item not carried button, EVER! (Not sure why it impacts the grade so much, my DTL said to me once, we wouldn't put it in the list if we didn't know they carried it , haha) 2) As pricing master said, if there is no change in price, just type in the same price that it is, don't use the "no change". 3) She also goes after the same area's Pricing Master said, I encourage her to go after the things she doesn't see in the list that often too. So pricing for new set's/new items are priced competitive right out of the gate.

Hope that Helps. I do believe though if you aim for 73% completion, you'll see your scores jump dramatically.

So, this week I have 744 tasks. 73% of that is 543. I need to physically put in the price of 543 items and leave 201 tasks sitting in the list and I should be green. I hate asking everyone to have this spelled out to me, but its crazy.

So, this week I have 744 tasks. 73% of that is 543. I need to physically put in the price of 543 items and leave 201 tasks sitting in the list and I should be green. I hate asking everyone to have this spelled out to me, but its crazy.

That's what my Comp. Shopper does and were green every week.

Can you just leave the 201 items in the list and send it in? Or do they all have to be entered as "item not carried" or "price not available"? I did comp a few weeks ago and zeroed out the list completely and ended up at 92%

Can you just leave the 201 items in the list and send it in? Or do they all have to be entered as "item not carried" or "price not available"? I did comp a few weeks ago and zeroed out the list completely and ended up at 92%

You can leave stuff in the shop...... surprised you turned out so high.. Thinking were about to reveal some interesting tidbits about the Comp. shop process.

Out of the 2 stores I've worked at, neither of them had team members for comp shop. What exactly do they do? (sorry for not being on the main point of the thread but I'm just curious)

My store usually has around 1000 items to shop a week and we have been green for at least a year. We only do 70% of them and we use the "item not carried" and "no price change" buttons.

Out of the 2 stores I've worked at, neither of them had team members for comp shop. What exactly do they do? (sorry for not being on the main point of the thread but I'm just curious)

we have one store in my district who does the comp shopping. basically you go to wally world & compare prices on exact/similar items. which creates the Lower price on certain items like food, soap, etc..

this link may help out too:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/444

Coming out of lurkdom to post in here. (I've been lurking for ages, never brave enough to post.)

I've been comp shopping for over 4 years now. This is what I will tell you:

I'm almost always green (with the exception of a slight learning curve when I first started.)
I aim to finish between 70-80 percent of the shop.
I use the item not carried button.
I use the price not changed button.

If you do some digging on workbench you can figure out that you are NOT supposed to be able to find all the items on your list. The more items you find over 80%, the more it will drop your score.

My shops are 100% completed. Which means either the item has been marked with a new price, no change in price, price not available (maybe 10-15 items per week) or not carried. I use the item not carried button for any items I cannot find. Some weeks that can be over 250 items. My scores have not been affected by use of that option.

Also, if you search workbench there is a printable comp shop training guide. I cannot recall for certain but I do swear that you are supposed to hit the item not carried button for items you do not obtain a price for. Plus, the stores I shop a lot of times DO NOT have the items. There are weeks I struggle to get the minimum. The Walmarts in my area have a lacking selection, to say the least.

Last edited:

were there other Target stores close to you?? If so, the stores probably shared what Target calls "Metro Shoppers". Which mean one store does Comp Shop. and shares the information with the surrounding stores.

Ugh, I loathed comp shop. I wasn't properly trained in, and any time something went wrong, I was blamed for it...but never talked to. My pricing TL would ask the other TM who was doing CS too why we were red all the time, and finally decided we needed to scan EVERYTHING. We were still red.

We were told to complete the list every week...and we were still red.

I never received feedback ever on my CS scores...so after awhile, I just stopped caring about the scores and completed the list. I've never seen or heard anything about the Item Not Carried or No Change In Price buttons affecting scores. When I was trained, we submitted the shop so I knew how to do it and it was only at 2%...I submitted again on Thursday that week and we were still at 2%. Maybe our PDA is glitchy? It froze several times and my TL did nothing about it, so I was the one who had to find out how to cold boot it and get it going again.

It's funny though...I quit in mid August and the other TM went to electronics, so they were scrambling to find people to do it. Haha! Our TL never did it...are pricing TLs supposed to?

we have one store in my district who does the comp shopping. basically you go to wally world & compare prices on exact/similar items. which creates the Lower price on certain items like food, soap, etc..

this link may help out too:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/444

Wait, so you mean they get to work outside of Target!? :mega_shok:

were there other Target stores close to you?? If so, the stores probably shared what Target calls "Metro Shoppers". Which mean one store does Comp Shop. and shares the information with the surrounding stores.

Where I live, there's a Target about every 5-10 miles.

I do it for my store when my Comp Shopper (who comp shops for 3 Targets) is either sick or on vacation. I am a Pricing TL, so it does become my responsibility to.complete when she is unable too due to vacation or illness.

Ugh, I loathed comp shop. I wasn't properly trained in, and any time something went wrong, I was blamed for it...but never talked to. My pricing TL would ask the other TM who was doing CS too why we were red all the time, and finally decided we needed to scan EVERYTHING. We were still red.

We were told to complete the list every week...and we were still red.

I never received feedback ever on my CS scores...so after awhile, I just stopped caring about the scores and completed the list. I've never seen or heard anything about the Item Not Carried or No Change In Price buttons affecting scores. When I was trained, we submitted the shop so I knew how to do it and it was only at 2%...I submitted again on Thursday that week and we were still at 2%. Maybe our PDA is glitchy? It froze several times and my TL did nothing about it, so I was the one who had to find out how to cold boot it and get it going again.

It's funny though...I quit in mid August and the other TM went to electronics, so they were scrambling to find people to do it. Haha! Our TL never did it...are pricing TLs supposed to?

Thats how I am. They tried to talk to me about it one day. We sat down, printed out the scores and went over them. Once it was clear he had no idea how the score was factored I asked him what he wanted me to do. The answer was try to make it green. I thought sure, I wasn't green. But atleast I was keeping us competitive with Walmart.

I did comp shop off & on when our shopper was on vay cay & figured out that you seldom 'find' everything. I used to panic if, after several trips looking for the same item, I STILL couldn't find it until my PATL told me that 'some' things may not be on there simply because of demographics of the area.
Pretty much what STL, et al said is true (despite the illogic nature).

Thats how I am. They tried to talk to me about it one day. We sat down, printed out the scores and went over them. Once it was clear he had no idea how the score was factored I asked him what he wanted me to do. The answer was try to make it green. I thought sure, I wasn't green. But atleast I was keeping us competitive with Walmart.

At least you got scores!! Our PATL would complain to the other TM who in turn would tell me about it. I'm sorry, maybe you should try talking to me directly? This was also the TL that got me in trouble for by claiming I was "unproductive" and "distracting" to other TMs while working PA. No, most mornings I'm half asleep and just want to listen to my iPod while I scan. The best part is she sent other TLs to talk to me instead of taking care of it herself. Way to be a leader!

Its been a rough couple of weeks. I haven't been able to do a full shop, because they cut my hours down so I can do more in the back room. This week I was finally given all the hours, so I'm hoping I can at least do this 73% trick. However, the PDA has been acting up. When I got the shop today, it downloaded two shops with a total of 1050 item.

It's not just you, happened to our shopper too.

It's not just you, happened to our shopper too.

Ok, good. I looked through it and it appeared to be a duplicate shop. I was think of just deleting the smaller one (167ish), since as far as I can tell it is contained inside the larger list. Haven't talked to PA-TL about it yet. But, it significantly changes my 73% goal.

Wait awhile and go back in. I've never had that problem because I try to stay discrete and out of everyone's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back