Archived Companywide outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our SCOs worked this way. If you did one item per transaction it would work. For part of the day, at least. This was relayed to me by another HL TM, so it might only have been during part of the outage.

That makes sense to me. I'm just glad it's over. IMO all of you (us) who worked *yesterday are total troopers!

Had a full uboat of toy backstock and I know the second I come in in the morning I’m gonna get my ass chewed out for not emptying my vehicles the day before truck day. We put notes on backstock vehicles stating the date and system down. Hopefully that will send the message.

Trust me there is no way they won't understand. No one could backstock anything for hours. We could pick orders for SFS and OPU but when the outage was happening no one could pick up orders. I know our GMETL would not be understanding had she not been in the store as a guest and had to wait 45min to check out.. Cause she is that type of ETL "No problem is an excuse.

I was lucky, left an hour or so before all this started. Surprised this whole thing lasted 2 hours. I am sure someone will get fired, the company lost millions in sales. Not going to hurt in the long run but short term at this time of year....

Taytay already said it was just the registers basically DDOSing HQ. This is totally an internal thing and no one was the culprit.

That’s what the public narrative is because the FBI doesn’t want Target to share what really happened while they investigate.

Well we didn't get any support for the shutdown from our team leads the top Guest Service employees we banded together and came up with a plan and did one item to get guests through. We are a integrated desk so we get everything thrown at us we had to yell out to guests that the system is down no knowledge when it would come up. We told them we could hold to later or if you needed anything that was important if they wanted to wait in line we could try to get them through and that we were sorry. I think a plan should be implemented and I also think they should put the zebras for my selfcheck out and the pos on separate servers so if one fails they have a back up because my first thought my self check out each guests to know it didn't work. As one guest said two fails in a week for a major corporation they should be ashamed of themselves.

Has anything like this happened to any other retailer? DOES anything like this even happen? Walmart for example is dead set on locking down that bread even if the whole power grid goes out, they've got backups of their backups. I guarantee you the Walmart that got blown to bits in the Joplin, MO tornado was keeping the merchant link up via a cellular backup and continuing to process payments right until the very moment the funnel vortex blew the lid off that bitch. Several employees died but the bread still made it to Bentonville and the product inventory is insured, so ca-ching

Has anything like this happened to any other retailer? DOES anything like this even happen? Walmart for example is dead set on locking down that bread even if the whole power grid goes out, they've got backups of their backups. I guarantee you the Walmart that got blown to bits in the Joplin, MO tornado was keeping the merchant link up via a cellular backup and continuing to process payments right until the very moment the funnel vortex blew the lid off that bitch. Several employees died but the bread still made it to Bentonville and the product inventory is insured, so ca-ching
I believe this was an isolated incident, but the Walmart near my house shut down completely at about 8 p.m. a few weeks ago due to a register outage. At first they told everyone "cash only" but when people that were in line started getting irate they pulled the plug on the entire operation. All the managers we're freaking out, and they had them out front directing people away from the store. One manager was smoking a cigarette, on her phone, yelling "Walmart's closed" at anyone that came up to the door lol.

I'm sure plenty of smaller retailers have been bitten by payment gateway outages when they don't have multiple providers, and those are outside their control. A global POS infrastructure (or perhaps more accurately inventory/pricing infrastructure) outage I'm sure is pretty rare.

I'm just dying to know what caused the service outage at the store level. There's no way a bad update to the service would hit the entire chain at once.

I'm sure plenty of smaller retailers have been bitten by payment gateway outages when they don't have multiple providers, and those are outside their control. A global POS infrastructure (or perhaps more accurately inventory/pricing infrastructure) outage I'm sure is pretty rare.

I'm just dying to know what caused the service outage at the store level. There's no way a bad update to the service would hit the entire chain at once.
If it was a bad update returning errors back to HQ all at the same time could definitely crash the entire system.

Well. Registers now work but the card readers don’t. Lovely.
Is this today?? I am wondering with large trucks coming Monday and Wednesday what the effect will be from Saturday’s issues. If nothing was backstocked, it still shows on hand??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back