Archived Companywide outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice if they stopped hiring ETLs that were born in the mid 1990’s
Hey now. I’m born in the mid 1990’s... though I’m not an ETL yet.

I was the key holder (LOD really, but StOrE MoD am I right) at the time this happened and had our new SETL... that was it. But we weren’t sitting around... parked our butts on a lane and scanned and scanned and scanned until we got guest out the door.

I should really be commended. 90 minutes into the downtime, I REALLLLLY wanted to walkie that I tried checking out a guest and, for some reason the register didn't work!

But, I didn't. Went on break instead!!

Hey Team Lead, I'm trying to process a Red Card application at the boat, but it won't go through..." would have been devilish.

Lol yeah man. That guy stands around while TMs from each department rush to registers and for carry outs. Doing literally nothing but observing. It's a shame target pays so much money for that position when it is not needed.
Not much could be done in this situation, I jumped on register as soon as I saw the lines, but after trying for 30 minutes with no success. I moved on to doing other things, and yes eating my food was one of those things. The show must go on...

I was the key holder (LOD really, but StOrE MoD am I right) at the time this happened and had our new SETL... that was it. But we weren’t sitting around... parked our butts on a lane and scanned and scanned and scanned until we got guest out the door.
I was more reacting to one of the other posts in here about an ETL who sounded inane.

Our Temp SD was on the phone and we ended up taking guest carts and tagging them with guest phone numbers and when the system came back up we started calling them to pick up their stuff. We filled a valley in the back three carts wide. Only to start calling people in and for the system to crash again as I left today.

I went up to the service desk around 4:30 to check for shoe returns and I couldn't even get in. A lot of people just abandoned their carts and left. I understand why, but talk about reshop. Mountains of it.

I don’t think hand keying UPCs was a valid solution. They could have easily put a sign in the door warning potential guests that they will have to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour to check out. But no the ETL is worried about their bonus and can’t imagine losing that 2 hours of sales.

There's definitely servers that are able to respond to that much requests, Targets are just under powered?
I'm assuming its a service that wasn't designed to elastically scale to support the entire enterprise.

Yep Microsoft laughs at the traffic target handles..
And proportionately, Office 365 has outages that dwarf this internal Target outage too, in scale and frequency.

Our store handed free Starbucks drinks to guests, let guests know we can save their cart and call when it’s back up and we just talked to our guests. It was crazy but we made it. We had a team member pull out a calculator, find the price for each item and add tax and do that for guests lol. He wrote down every item we sold. He’s my hero for today

Our store handed free Starbucks drinks to guests, let guests know we can save their cart and call when it’s back up and we just talked to our guests. It was crazy but we made it. We had a team member pull out a calculator, find the price for each item and add tax and do that for guests lol. He wrote down every item we sold. He’s my hero for today
That’s very responsible as far as that employee goes, but typically most people don’t want to wait upwards of a half hour while prices are found, written down, and manually keyed. And personally I wouldn’t want to drive back again to get the items. If it’s that urgent wouldn’t they have gone to Wal Mart, Kmart, Big Lots, the mall, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back