Archived Compensation pay question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at Target for 1 and 1/2 years. This is my last week. I never had any sick days or vacation days. Can I get reimbursed after my last day? Or do I have to "use it or loose it" and just call out the rest of this week? I'm not the kind of person who likes to let my team struggle because I called out. I don't want to be known for that, but if it's my only choice...then I am forced to do what I have to do. Thankin advance for a quick response.
Maplelady~

It depends on your state but most don’t pay out. Target is no longer a pay out company so it’s a use it or lose it situation. Depends on your HR but most wont allow you to use vacation time for sick days if you already put in your two weeks. Smartest choice is to always use it before you resign. I had a fellow TL that had a vacation planned for like 6 months and was all approved then he found another job a month before his vacation and decided he would work until his vacation and they refused to let him use his vacation time

It depends on your state but most don’t pay out. Target is no longer a pay out company so it’s a use it or lose it situation. Depends on your HR but most wont allow you to use vacation time for sick days if you already put in your two weeks. Smartest choice is to always use it before you resign. I had a fellow TL that had a vacation planned for like 6 months and was all approved then he found another job a month before his vacation and decided he would work until his vacation and they refused to let him use his vacation time

Spot on, also if you have a friend in HR. Ask them to add vacation hours to past weeks where you were under your past hours. I got a gstl a 2300 check on his way out doing this.

Spot on, also if you have a friend in HR. Ask them to add vacation hours to past weeks where you were under your past hours. I got a gstl a 2300 check on his way out doing this.
Didn’t know that was possible! That’s a smart idea but my average hours is over 40 (not actually possible I know) but i worked 250 hours of OT last year and if I’m under 39 for the week, I’ll use vacation to fill to 40. Same concept just not at the end.

Thank you for your honesty. Guess I will just use my sick time for the rest of this week and call out. I hate to be that way, but I gotta get some of it back somehow. Not sure how you got OT. We got called into HR if we got close to 40. If we did have OT we were required to leave a shift early to compensate for our time. Again, reasons why I am leaving. Can’t survive on 4hr shifts at 15 hrs a week plus added stress. I’m a work horse, but this is just silly.

Check your state law 1st. In my state you loose your vacation accrued, but sick time is paid out after the end of employment .

As HRZone and gsa4lyfe said, you should go into mytime self service and put in as much vacation as you can (up to your average hours) for past weeks. You don’t need someone in HR to do this for you, you can do it yourself.

I think you can go back up to 6 weeks. So if you had some really low hours throughout January and it was well below your average, you might be able to just put in for vacation for all of those weeks and use a lot of it up.

As HRZone and gsa4lyfe said, you should go into mytime self service and put in as much vacation as you can (up to your average hours) for past weeks. You don’t need someone in HR to do this for you, you can do it yourself.

I think you can go back up to 6 weeks. So if you had some really low hours throughout January and it was well below your average, you might be able to just put in for vacation for all of those weeks and use a lot of it up.

Yeah! You're right you can do it yourself up to 6 weeks, I should have mentioned an HR person can do it even further back than that.

All your help is incredible. This is why it was so hard for me to make this choice. The “team” efforts are awesome. So, if I call out for my last 3 days (to use as sick days) I still have to work 1 more day? Hmm. I will call my TSC guy to hear what he says. I tried calling corporate yesterday. No answer on the 800# or the direct number, sad.

Speaking of unused sick time....let's say you have the max 80 hours of sick time. What's a good strategy to use all that prior to quitting? Especially if you don't get 40 hours a week. It's not like you can call out for 2 weeks straight and get away with it. Even staggering call-outs over the course of a month seems obvious to me.

Speaking of unused sick time....let's say you have the max 80 hours of sick time. What's a good strategy to use all that prior to quitting? Especially if you don't get 40 hours a week. It's not like you can call out for 2 weeks straight and get away with it. Even staggering call-outs over the course of a month seems obvious to me.

I find myself struggling with this too. I have more sick time than I'll ever use and I want to use it because well.... it's there. I'm pretty sure calling out and using sick time is better than not? I don't know the mindset of leadership there tbh, probably depends on the leader.

Asants At my store you could use for your own doctor appointments and taking someone else to the doctor. Also add it to your paycheck to bring it up to your average hours. Alas, I sucked at this, and left 66 hrs on the table when I quit, lol

I spoke with my HR yesterday (face to face) and she was able to go back to grant me my vacation time (no more than 6 weeks back and no more than my “average weekly hours” and no more than 10 hrs in one day). So, I was able to get something, but those 60 hours of sick time are gone with the polar vortex. If you are planning to quit and have a lot of sick time, you have to plan 6 months in advance just to use it all. I am working my last few days just to keep my name in good standing. I was told I am welcome back at any Target when I am ready. The stress was insane, 4 hour shifts with 15 hrs/wk was not good reinforcement to motivate the team. Expectations of 100% completion were a tad outrageous. This made the “team” frustrated then the talk began. Not a happy environment. 2/2 is my last day. Thanks to everyone’s input here. You have all been great. Too bad we weren’t a team.

The whole concept of “sick pay” is that your not forced to work when you are sick because of your financial situation. Trying to game the system and calling out just to use it hurts everyone. Abuse is one of the many counter arguments to why companies shouldn’t have it as a benefit and why Target only offers it where it’s required. Sick pay isn’t something that your entitled to have but a benefit to have when you are actually sick.

The whole concept of “sick pay” is that your not forced to work when you are sick because of your financial situation. Trying to game the system and calling out just to use it hurts everyone

Don't forget people need time to attend to their mental health as well. Especially when Spot is holding the bar unreasonably high.

For as many years as a can remember I have let all sick hours go poof at the end of the year.
I know people abuse it by using it when they are not sick. But I will not lie.
I use vacation and personal days but havn’t called out sick or otherwise more than twice per year in all my years at Target. It’s an integrity thing.

The whole concept of “sick pay” is that your not forced to work when you are sick because of your financial situation. Trying to game the system and calling out just to use it hurts everyone. Abuse is one of the many counter arguments to why companies shouldn’t have it as a benefit and why Target only offers it where it’s required. Sick pay isn’t something that your entitled to have but a benefit to have when you are actually sick.
many states allow the use of sick pay for preventative care (which target comes borderline close to violating based on their policy), as well as mental health. some states even let you use it as recovery & legal prep time from sexual assault.

so not just sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back