Confessions of a Target TM

Damn...walmart actually does this. I order my groceries from them as a pick up to take to my car and if they cant find something they subsitute it and I am always happy with the substitution.

Walmart has a way to do it. We don't. It screws up Target's inventory. We'll now have one less of the item you gave the guest than we're supposed to have. And, if the guest is given a more expensive item than what they paid for that creates loss that can't be accounted for. It's not a huge deal, but doing it will get someone a conversation with AP.

Damn...walmart actually does this. I order my groceries from them as a pick up to take to my car and if they cant find something they subsitute it and I am always happy with the substitution.
I wish Target had a way to do that too. It’s actually a great way to please guests , atleast I was pleased many times when I experienced it in my Walmart orders . For instance, I have got Kodiak pancake mix for the cost of Aunt Jemima .

Problem is when the substitution isn't liked.

Shipt twice had utterly horrible substitutions for me. One, store fresh salsa, 16 oz was $4.50, 32 oz was $6 and I ordered the 32 oz. They were out so the Shipt shopper substituted two 16 oz. Start doing the money math. The other, the store was out of the $6.50 bag of shrimp so the shopper substituted $11 shrimp. Again, money math. Spending nearly twice as much should be an obvious ridiculous substitution that shouldn't be done.

I'm not sure how good or poor the substitutions will be, especially since how many times will seasonals that don't really care and aren't offered a good tip to make them care be choosing the substitute?

Problem is when the substitution isn't liked.

Shipt twice had utterly horrible substitutions for me. One, store fresh salsa, 16 oz was $4.50, 32 oz was $6 and I ordered the 32 oz. They were out so the Shipt shopper substituted two 16 oz. Start doing the money math. The other, the store was out of the $6.50 bag of shrimp so the shopper substituted $11 shrimp. Again, money math. Spending nearly twice as much should be an obvious ridiculous substitution that shouldn't be done.

I'm not sure how good or poor the substitutions will be, especially since how many times will seasonals that don't really care and aren't offered a good tip to make them care be choosing the substitute?
I'm not sure how Shipt works, but Peapod charges you the cheaper price for substitutions.

Substitutions, if Target ever does them, shouldn't ever result in the guest being charged more. To prevent shenanigans they should probably only be done by a TL, as in the TL has to log in to the cart and do it. It also really needs to be the same underlying product. So, the example of ordering one pancake mix and getting another shouldn't be allowed. Different brands have different recipes. What if the guest prefers the taste of the cheaper brand and doesn't even like the more expensive brand? We have no way of knowing that.

But, let's say a guest orders Tyson chicken breasts and we're out. We should be able to give them the Good & Gather chicken breasts if we have it because they're the same product essentially. But, we shouldn't be giving them chicken thighs obviously, or even organic non-gmo chicken breasts because that's not really the same thing.

I'm not sure how Shipt works, but Peapod charges you the cheaper price for substitutions.
Shipt subtracts out the items that aren't available and then adds in the items that were substituted. So for the salsa, it was the 32 oz listed as out of stock with the price changed to $0.00 and then the substitution listed as 16 oz x2 @ $4.50, total price for the item given as $9. They even do a hold for an extra amount on your card in case of substitutions and release what wasn't spent after the shopper checks out.

Usually the substitutions were acceptable, though some just made you want to hit the shopper with a clue by four because it was so brain dead of a substitution on an item that was so simple I didn't think a note was needed.

Now? I canceled my membership because the COVID-19 shoppers couldn't give a care about customer service or ensuring you actually get your groceries and substitutions were always horrible, to the point I started marking no substitutions and went without.

Substitutions, if Target ever does them, shouldn't ever result in the guest being charged more. To prevent shenanigans they should probably only be done by a TL, as in the TL has to log in to the cart and do it. It also really needs to be the same underlying product. So, the example of ordering one pancake mix and getting another shouldn't be allowed. Different brands have different recipes. What if the guest prefers the taste of the cheaper brand and doesn't even like the more expensive brand? We have no way of knowing that.

But, let's say a guest orders Tyson chicken breasts and we're out. We should be able to give them the Good & Gather chicken breasts if we have it because they're the same product essentially. But, we shouldn't be giving them chicken thighs obviously, or even organic non-gmo chicken breasts because that's not really the same thing.
Walmart lets you review your substitutions so if you dont like what they picked you can cancel before a certain time. I always approve because i just dont care and sometimes surprised with products I would have never tried before or known they existed.

I hardly ever take the next due OPU unless we are short staffed on it. Figure I’m still helping and rushing through while avoiding needless INFs just because I’m mad rushing/let the timer stress me out

I take two 15 minute breaks when I'm scheduled for 7 hour 45 minute shifts. Seriously need more than one 15 minute and a 45 lunch for that stretch of time. Don't care if it must be 8 hours or more, they KNOW they made the schedule intentionally so a tm technically can't get that second 15. By the way, doing that today as well.

Same as my store scheduling for 5.75 so that you only get a 15 (6 hour state here). Having to deal with non-stop Karen's at SD or SCO for almost 6 hours. Just shoot me!

Didn't everyone shop on the clock while zoning? "Oooo, I think that needs to sit on the fitting room desk for.....(look at watch)....4 hours 20 minutes. I'll put it way in the corner to avoid the items the other TMs on the clock left." (Or stashed aside for payday, which actually wasn't one of my sins.)

Back