Archived Confidentiality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I will just state what happen. I shared with another TM that I was capped and I did not get a raise this year. That TM told HR and I was pulled in for a conversation about how TMs reviews are confidential. I can see how my review is private, how what I am paid is private but these things are private for me. I thought, not Red. If I choose to share that I did not get a raise its my business isn't it? I have not and would not tell anyone what $ amount I make. I can see how that is red confidential.

So am I wrong. Is my personal review confidential and something that would merit a meeting with HR if spoken about?

I'm sure it's not jealousy that a fellow TM would get if they found out someone was capped. I guess I can understand the anachary if TM found out there was a ceiling on their earnings ability. Knowing there is a cap and living with one makes me not push myself or encourage me to vibe it up more with he guests. When you get more you give more, when you get the same you give the same.

What? I've never known about that rule. I think everyone knows how much my raise was, including twitter and Facebook, but I assume this policy only applies to conversing with employees?

I don't think sharing your pay is against the rules, it is just advised against.

But yeah I don't think you're supposed to share your review information, since that is supposedly "Confidential" ... They keep them in those big red folders... Haha.

Employers can not keep you from discussing salaries.
It's against the law and they can be fined for retaliating against for it.

http://www.insperity.com/blog/what-you-can-and-cant-do-when-employees-discuss-wages

You cannot forbid employees – either verbally or in written policy – from discussing salaries or other job conditions among themselves.

Discussing salaries is considered a “protected concerted activity” by the NLRB and it’s protected regardless of whether employees are talking to each other in person or through social media.

In a nutshell... got my review, no raise, GSTL didn't know why. Asked HRtm to look at the pay grade book and yup, I was over what cashiers make due to some awesome pay raises back in 06 and 07 when I was an HRtm myself.
So no more raises for me. And you bet I told my friends at work. I was livid. One, for no one even thinking that I'd question the no increase and having an answer ready and two, I think it's totally stupid that they can't even dish out a measly nickel or dime raise for cost of living or some crap.
I never told anyone how much I make but at least now people know they CAN cap out, even as a Target cashier.....
BTW, I hate narcs. Whoever told on you should be made to zone the toy aisles forever.

Last edited:
Wasn't this addressed in the letter they were supposed to post? This is the kind of crap they have been in trouble for in the past. It's part of the reason they were supposed to post that letter! Ugggggg!!!

Employers can not keep you from discussing salaries.
It's against the law and they can be fined for retaliating against for it.

http://www.insperity.com/blog/what-you-can-and-cant-do-when-employees-discuss-wages

You cannot forbid employees – either verbally or in written policy – from discussing salaries or other job conditions among themselves.

Discussing salaries is considered a “protected concerted activity” by the NLRB and it’s protected regardless of whether employees are talking to each other in person or through social media.
I appreciate each reply but WOW! Thank you for this reply with substance. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this moment but my morale at work has faltered since this meeting/correction happened. I do see that it is against the law for them to retaliate but it was apparently also against the law for them to tell me I could not share this info. I do NOT want to start a war at work but I also do not want my rights as a person stolen or the rights of my co workers.i guess I also don't want my HR to continue to make this error. Feeling a bit stuck but also empowered. Thanks.

I'd probably print that out & hand your HR a copy. Let them know you found this through your own research and wanted to share it with them.
Doesn't sound like you got coached, but if there is a disciplinary mark on your record from the previous conversation you should ask that it be removed.

Wasn't this addressed in the letter they were supposed to post? This is the kind of crap they have been in trouble for in the past. It's part of the reason they were supposed to post that letter! Ugggggg!!!
Is there a link to this letter that was supposed to be posted?

I don't think sharing your pay is against the rules, it is just advised against.

But yeah I don't think you're supposed to share your review information, since that is supposedly "Confidential" ... They keep them in those big red folders... Haha.
I have a feeling they are in the big red folder to protect my, the employees confidentiality from being seen by others. Just like my medical info is protected/confidential but if I so choose to share that I have tennis elbow it is my right to do so and my doctor cannot say I broke my doctors HIPA rights. They are my rights.

@PA 0701 You could always just print a copy and leave it on her desk inconspicuously if that is possible. That is if you don't really care if there is a mark on your record. Otherwise do what RingWraith said @Ringwraith917 said?

Thanks for the link Commie

I have decided to not bring this finding to my HR, at least for now. I really do not want to rock the boat. While retaliation is forbidden I am sure pickiness could occur about any number of other things and my work life could be made miserable. I am also concerned that with the wording of the law

But just individually griping about some aspect of work is not "concerted activity": what you say must have some relation to group action, or seek to initiate, induce, or prepare for group action, or bring a group complaint to the attention of management.

My HR could say I was just griping. Thus not following the letter of the law myself. When I shared my feelings I did NOT say my comments had anything to do with work directly, I was more seeking support and ideas of how I could either deal with it within myself or get ideas on how I might seek a way to change how others viewed me. I do not have spot as my place of employment on my page and I did not name names or share a dollar amount. I was more venting about my unhappiness about not being appreciated and feeling disappointed in myself. Again not any mention of it being about work. Another spot friend did mention some things that reference spot in a round about way and at that point I ended the conversation. I am not a boat rocker but I am into (at least trying to) following the letter of the law (so to speak) and HR could interpret my actions as griping.

I am going to hold onto the link for future reference. I really wish I could find that letter that was supposed to be posted at the punch clock

I guess I will just state what happen. I shared with another TM that I was capped and I did not get a raise this year. That TM told HR and I was pulled in for a conversation about how TMs reviews are confidential. I can see how my review is private, how what I am paid is private but these things are private for me. I thought, not Red. If I choose to share that I did not get a raise its my business isn't it? I have not and would not tell anyone what $ amount I make. I can see how that is red confidential.

So am I wrong. Is my personal review confidential and something that would merit a meeting with HR if spoken about?

Who goes and tells HR? Seriously...what is this high school...geez.....

Can somebody send me the .pdf of that document that was supposed to be posted? There was a copy of it online but it was a cell phone pic of it and part of it was missing.

Thank you

i have not had a raise in years no one in my store has they say if we dont make x numbers or something then everyone is effected
We were told that even though our store made our goals and did well, raises would not be in great abundance because the district did not do well. So this is when I found out that YOUR individual performance is not what earns you a merit raise its the group as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back