Archived Confused About Cashiering Processes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was my first shift where I got to actually work with the register. After my shift was over, I was told that it was the only day I was scheduled to have any training, so I'm really nervous about being on my own. I'm confused about how to input my ID number to make that pass thingy that allows me to sign on and off quickly without having to punch in my numbers? If anyone remembers what keys they press or a menu I need to get to it would be appreciated! I don't even remember what the pass thing is called... They went over it so quickly.
Also the process of having someone apply for a RedCard is fuzzy in my mind because when I was on the practice register we didn't finish the process because it wasn't valid since the register was locked to training mode. All I remember is scanning an ID and seeing the birthday and address etc. on the card scanner screen. So aside from scanning the card, what else do I do? I don't think I even remember how I got to scanning the card. I think I pressed something to signal that I wanted to set up a RedCard? Anyway, I'd really like to know how to sign a guest up for a RedCard. I know the debit card requires having a check that I would have to put through the check scanning thing. So after putting the check through, so I give it back to them or?? (I personally don't have a checking account and this is my first job so I'm confused about payment processes as well) And for the credit card do they need a credit card since they link it to their existing account?

It's been a while since I last used a speed ID, but I believe you enter your TM number, hit K3(?) to create speed ID, enter your PIN, then enter the time your shift ends. Then the speed ID will print out and you'll be logged on. IF YOU HAVE TO STEP AWAY FROM THE REGISTER, DON'T LEAVE YOUR SPEED ID; either take it with you or throw it out.

To start a Red Card application, grab a pamphlet from the red drawer under your register and scan the barcode. Follow the prompts on the screen, and have the guest answer the questions on the card reader. For the credit card, they'll need ID; for the debit card, they'll need ID and a valid check. At the end of a debit application, give the check back to the guest. If your GSTL allows, you may want to write VOID on the front before handing it back.

If you haven't already, check out the cashier guide thread as @catrainer suggested. Some things may be different at your store, but it should give you a general idea of how things work at the lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back