Archived confused about my break and lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started working at target and this is my first job. I'm a little confused about how break and lunch works. if I'm working a 7.75 hour shift so from 2pm to 9:45pm, do I get a break or a lunch?

Last edited:
There *should* be a breakdown by your time clock or near where your schedules are on the wall.

I'd ask someone in your store specifically because it varies state to state, but here the following is how it works:

Shifts under 4 hours get no break.

4 hour shifts get 1 15-minute break.

6 hour shifts get a break and a 30 minute meal.

7 hour shifts (in the building for 7 hours, not 7.5, the 7 includes your lunch, gets a second break.

10 hour shifts receive a third break.

Meals must be taken no more than 6 hours apart. ie. Let's say you are scheduled to work 8:00-2:00. You'd get a break and a lunch. Let's say you take your lunch at 12:00. You later are asked to stay till 8:00 PM. You could have worked 8:00 till 8:00 with one lunch if it had been taken dead center in the middle of your shift, since you'd have 5.75 hours on either side of it, but since you took a lunch at 12:00 already you will now require a second lunch sometime before 6:30.

Last edited:
That actually depends on your state. In my state, we have to take a meal break before we hit every 5th hour of working or we hit compliance.

Aye, I opened the post with: I'd ask someone in your store specifically because it varies state to state, but here the following is how it works:

Aye, I opened the post with: I'd ask someone in your store specifically because it varies state to state, but here the following is how it works:
Ah, now I see that. I kind of skimmed through the reply, sorry.

so if I have a 7.5 hour shift from 4 to 11:45 pm, when is it best to take my lunch? (to make it easier I'm in California.)

TN and Iowa an 7.0-9.99 hr shift requires a Break/Lunch/Break.

Just read your breakdown, if you have questions about your Breaks/Lunches, you need to bring it up to your shift TL.

so if I have a 7.5 hour shift from 4 to 11:45 pm, when is it best to take my lunch? (to make it easier I'm in California.)
It may be assigned to you. If not, shoot for somewhere around 8. Ask the others working in your area, and make sure you don't all go at the same time. In Cali, you would need to punch out by 8:45 to not violate.

It may be assigned to you. If not, shoot for somewhere around 8. Ask the others working in your area, and make sure you don't all go at the same time.

Yep, like Yetive recommended, 8PM.

The best time is definitely your 4th hour. Go to lunch by 4.5 hours at the latest. Don't ever cut it too close to your 5th hour because you will most likely be held up by someone or something and miss the deadline. You can be easily fired for hitting meal compliance in Cali so take your lunches on time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back