Archived confused by my review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not a person that goes around carrying their core roles saying "that's not my job".

i got my review, and my score was ok, but the entire thing centered around the fact that i need to "lead my peers" and how unconfident i am in myself because i'm not interested in a more global leadership position. my etl also explained that i need to send the etls emails when i "coach" my peers on things so i am holding them accountable, and i need to monitor their performance to report back to the etl team on what i see for "my development into a global leader". basically a snitch based on his examples. one example the exec used, was that i saw a tl pushing product incorrectly. i let him know that this area required him to do things differently than what he was doing (he's new in the dept). no biggie. my etl says that i should've documented it and sent it out to the etl team so they can monitor his performance more closely. in reality, i heard them talking about him because he told them he's leaving in a couple of months anyway, and they've already transferred in a replacement, thus over headcount and needing to get him out.

now don't get me wrong, if i saw someone stealing or seriously doing something out of line, especially to the team, i would correct/report it immediately. if i see another tm or tl doing something against bp or if they just need help, i talk to them on the spot, but i don't see it as my duty to report every little instance to the exec team like a headhunter. the way i see it, it's my job to manage my team. and it's the other tl's job to manage theirs. it's not my role to manage to tl group and i don't get paid to do so. i'm not sure how to take my feedback. nothing was based on last year's performance or anything related to my management skills or even my position. my results are golden. i'm so tired of being told i should want to "do more" and being "challenged" to be an stl lap dog. i don't want to do more. i love my team. i have a good thing going on where i don't want to drive the crown over people on a daily basis. overall, i'm just really confused, and later got pulled into the hr office because i had not "communicated any opportunities" with documentation on my peers. i feel like i've fallen into a bad situation which doesn't promote a healthy team environment. *sigh*

Last edited:
Your suppose to report and document opportunities on your peers? Do your peers do this? Have you talked to them? That seems like something shady is going on in that store.

Wow, you have a set of ****ty ETL's. It's one thing to talk to the same peer on a subject numerous times before going to their ETL but it's downright *****mode to go tattle on someone just to do it. I would have called my ETL out on it right there. I put up with a lot of **** at Target but I don't let them pin anything on me that I didn't do, and I don't let my personal ethics/morals/etc. become their playtoy.

In fact, I would have challenged the ETL on it right there, explained I am taking the issue to HR and if I didn't receive the results I was looking for then it would be going higher until it was resolved (I did do this before on a different matter but the STL took care of it and it hasn't been an issue since). I would have talked down and condescending to the ETL as if they had no view in what's right or wrong, and questioned their integrity.

Is this being asked of your peers as well? might be something to bring up at a TL meeting (unless you think it might look bad on you if it only being said to you)

This very much sounds like something that has been going on at my store.
So sad to say, I'm not a bit surprised.
Stand up for you morals and scruples but don't be surprised if it bites you in the tuckus.

Last edited:
So wait....if you simply "help" another TM (as it sounded like you were doing), you're supposed to "report it" to the "higher ups"? Micromanage, anyone? Jesus, if I spent all day "documenting" all of the times I "helped" my TMs, I'd be doing nothing but writing emails some days!!!! What a bunch of d*&^s!!!

So wait....if you simply "help" another TM (as it sounded like you were doing), you're supposed to "report it" to the "higher ups"? Micromanage, anyone? Jesus, if I spent all day "documenting" all of the times I "helped" my TMs, I'd be doing nothing but writing emails some days!!!! What a bunch of d*&^s!!!

That's not a Target policy. It is not your job to document your peers and is outright ridiculous that they are telling you to do that. The fact that your ETL and HR have both confronted you on this is not good and most likely means the STL is in on it too. I'd start looking for a new job because they're going to make your work environment a living hell if you don't do what they are telling you. They will find someone to do their dirty work and they will use that person against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back