Archived Connecting to Targets Radio Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrypticTM

Wannabe Fulfillment Captain
Here's an interesting question. Anyone ever use a third party radio or cell phone to connect/listen in on Targets radio frequency? Is something like that even possible?

Here's an interesting question. Anyone ever use a third party radio or cell phone to connect/listen in on Targets radio frequency? Is something like that even possible?

You know we don't have special equipment,right? Anyone can buy a walkie talkie and listen in. Matter in fact- people have been known to screw around with operations at our store knowing this.

You know we don't have special equipment,right? Anyone can buy a walkie talkie and listen in. Matter in fact- people have been known to screw around with operations at our store knowing this.
I wasn't sure if standard walkies could access the privacy code our channels are on or not. Not too familiar with how those work other then the basics of switching between channels.

I'm not sure if we ever figured out if the asshat who was messing around on the walkie last Saturday got ahold of one of our walkies or brought his own.

It’s possible, and quite easy. They aren’t ‘standard’ radios though, they use FCC business licensed bands if I remember correctly, and our radios are custom from Motorola. If you buy the same model off the shelf radios you can’t get them to be on our frequencies. Any programmable radio will work though.

I wasn't sure if standard walkies could access the privacy code our channels are on or not. Not too familiar with how those work other then the basics of switching between channels.
It’s not actually a privacy channel, it’s more designed so that multiple groups of people can use a channel and not have to hear each other. It’s called continuous tone squelch system. A tone is added when broadcasting and if the same tone isn’t received, then the walkie ignores that transmission. The caveat is, broadcasts with any (or none) privacy code still are ‘traffic’ and still interfere with each other. The button on the side of the walkie that causes you to hear static is the monitor button, which is required by law so that users can ensure a channel is clear to broadcast on since CTSS will mute transmissions that are on a different code. No one uses our channels but us though, as they are licensed by the FCC. Target using CTSS is mostly a layer of insulation against people trying to mess with our radios etc.

Last edited:
Walkie Talkies on the myDevice is in the works, but situations of the internet being down in emergencys are something they will have to figure out. I'm surprised that zebra does not just jam a radio antenna in the device.
If this I'd true then I will be as giddy as a school girl. It should be like modern chat servers, so no more cancelling each other out of two people talk at the same time. This is something I wanted to do to our com system since I started working here a decade ago.

Walkie Talkies on the myDevice is in the works, but situations of the internet being down in emergencys are something they will have to figure out. I'm surprised that zebra does not just jam a radio antenna in the device.
Great something else to tax an already overburdened Target internet.

Great something else to tax an already overburdened Target internet.
Voice chat servers are a very very light service. They can be low bitrate and very little CPU power. We've had them around since the Pentium 1 days.

As a non-Target IT security guy, I have to laugh on how Target has one of the best private forensic labs in the nation. Corp has been commented as being fairly secure; not sure I that I believe that or not.. But at the store level, you could come out with a treasure of info.

If Target would simply move walkie chatter to VOIP over wifi.

the FCC may want to talk to you. depending on if there is a licensed base station in the building for the walkies, if not go town broadcast some weird *hub sounds over it and let it go

I always debated on just taping some quarters over the button and stashing it somewhere for most the day for some silence

I always debated on just taping some quarters over the button and stashing it somewhere for most the day for some silence
I always wanted to screw around with the walkies too especially when I would be pissed AF at them.

Frequencies are the same at the vast majority of stores. Feel free to message me if you want them. I won’t be giving out channels 5 and 6, though.

Pretty sure you can just search the forums for the frequencies. That's how I found these forums :p

I think each store has a different frequency for the 6 channels. We have 3 targets nearby and I went to two with my walkie. I couldn’t hear any chatter on my walkie when the stores TMs walkie went off. The walkies can access 56 frequencies of which the 1-6 channels are not next to each other on the frequency list. You can see the frequency number on the walkie as you switch channels.

Last edited:
I think each store has a different frequency for the 6 channels. We have 3 targets nearby and I went to two with my walkie. I couldn’t hear any chatter on my walkie when the stores TMs walkie went off.
Interesting. My walkie has worked at 4 different stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back