Archived Consumables Team Leader Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing about coaching other TMs or peers is you don't want to come off as cocky. No one likes being told what to do by someone else that isn't in a position of authority. My ETL told me to find a niche, coach TMs if they do something wrong, and just work with my TL. Be original, take the initiative. He added at the end "oh and don't actually coach TMs, just help them."

We deal with the same issue. I was eyeing a PA position until it got voided out with the new starting wages, now I just sort of hover as a "captain", someone that my TL can look to to hold the fort down. What's hard about this is me and my team work so well together as a team, there's really no established hierarchy. We're all individuals with ideas, ways to take the initiative, ways to improve freight push.

All I can really offer is what Humble TL said, organize, prioritize, and execute.

We get Dairy Frozen daily. Milk Mon-Wed-Fri. We get up to eight pallets a day of just frozen and dairy, weekends we can get up to ten a day. Produce usually gets about 3-4 week days, 5-7 weekends. We get meat pallets as well and that's usually three a day. Milk shipments range from 3-6 pallets. The bulk of my team runs 4am-12:30pm shifts. I do a lot of 8am-10am start times and close on the weekends. We use to have a vehicle out on the floor for full case backstock, cart for cardboard, uboat for WACOs, a three-tier for yogurt/creamer backstock, and then the u-boat or pallet of freight. We've refined the process down to just two uboats. Cardboard goes into the appendage on the ends of uboats. Full case goes on top as we work out the top tier of a uboat first. Single stock goes into WACOs on a seperate uboat.

The process works, but the rest of my team doesn't like it. They'd rather have a million vehicles out making the aisle more claustrophobic and tight. We're less in the way, and it's a LOT easier to manage, but the team can't see that, not even our PA in Dairy who's been here for years. I don't get it, but I've decided I need to make it my job to enlighten everyone on why it's better. It's faster because there is less collateral.

My team leader yesterday decided to go on a half and tell me "Okay, TTGOz, I'm going on a half. I need you to be in charge." and it felt pretty good. Everything went extremely smoothly, mostly because everyone already knew what they were doing, but she left me to be "in charge". I told her I'm interested in leadership development a few weeks ago and she said she'd talk to our ETL but I haven't heard anything but I've noticed they've been challenging me to do things, holding me to a higher standard as of late.

I was upset by it at first, but then I realized "Wait, this might be a test, I should be on my feet and stop moping." and I realized my STL has been a lot more interactive with me lately just out of nowhere. I've heard nothing in terms of advanced development, but I guess it could just be a coincidence, but I'm not gonna think of it that way.

To me it sounds like your high level team member. You need to think like a leader. When a system is broken, you figure out how to fix it. How often are you making suggestions? Are you coaching your peers? Look at the opportunities the others consumables team leaders had and look at how you fix it? No adding more payroll won't fix it. I recommend getting feedback from your TL/ETL to see what they say.
I'm high level TM too, but I have shit managers who won't recognize.

Yogurts were not getting rotated in the coolers and empty in the shelves when we tried to not locate our dairy cooler. So our dairy and freezer remain located along with the bolthouse / naked juices.
My yogurts are located and are not getting rotated. I would unlocate them just like the juice is and push that fast mover daily.

The only thing about coaching other TMs or peers is you don't want to come off as cocky. No one likes being told what to do by someone else that isn't in a position of authority. My ETL told me to find a niche, coach TMs if they do something wrong, and just work with my TL. Be original, take the initiative. He added at the end "oh and don't actually coach TMs, just help them."

We deal with the same issue. I was eyeing a PA position until it got voided out with the new starting wages, now I just sort of hover as a "captain", someone that my TL can look to to hold the fort down. What's hard about this is me and my team work so well together as a team, there's really no established hierarchy. We're all individuals with ideas, ways to take the initiative, ways to improve freight push.

All I can really offer is what Humble TL said, organize, prioritize, and execute.

We get Dairy Frozen daily. Milk Mon-Wed-Fri. We get up to eight pallets a day of just frozen and dairy, weekends we can get up to ten a day. Produce usually gets about 3-4 week days, 5-7 weekends. We get meat pallets as well and that's usually three a day. Milk shipments range from 3-6 pallets. The bulk of my team runs 4am-12:30pm shifts. I do a lot of 8am-10am start times and close on the weekends. We use to have a vehicle out on the floor for full case backstock, cart for cardboard, uboat for WACOs, a three-tier for yogurt/creamer backstock, and then the u-boat or pallet of freight. We've refined the process down to just two uboats. Cardboard goes into the appendage on the ends of uboats. Full case goes on top as we work out the top tier of a uboat first. Single stock goes into WACOs on a seperate uboat.

The process works, but the rest of my team doesn't like it. They'd rather have a million vehicles out making the aisle more claustrophobic and tight. We're less in the way, and it's a LOT easier to manage, but the team can't see that, not even our PA in Dairy who's been here for years. I don't get it, but I've decided I need to make it my job to enlighten everyone on why it's better. It's faster because there is less collateral.
I wish I was at your store. 4am-12:30pm market shifts sound great!

My yogurts are located and are not getting rotated. I would unlocate them just like the juice is and push that fast mover daily.
You mean 7 fast movers of yogurt that’s how much is in our dairy cooler and we sell a day. About 7,000 dollars in yogurts a day. We do not have anyone to push 7 fast movers every day that’s why we sto it

We use fast movers for ....... fast moving product.
Which is everything except probably freezer. Juices move on sales so keep those located same with Sour Cream and Butter as those are a collective four sections and that would be an easy manual.

Which is everything except probably freezer. Juices move on sales so keep those located same with Sour Cream and Butter as those are a collective four sections and that would be an easy manual.
Now we need some fast moving team members to push all those fast movers. I have 7 fast movers in my produce cooler. There are 3 for the fresh meat , 1 for eggs. And IF we did use fast movers for dairy there would be 9 in the dairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back