• Yes

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 97 90.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guess they're all hoping to be unemployed. Good luck with that.
In my state the backlog of claims is in the tens of thousands, and people in many cases aren't even able to file much less get approved or collect.
Remember, you are very replaceable whether you want to believe it or not

In a different thread, I mentioned that Indeed.com now publishes results of a survey sent to former and present employees of a company. Called "Work Happiness", it covers 13 aspects, and for the most part Target employees "Work Happiness" rating is average (overall 65 points out of 100, rated Average), higher than some companies but lower than quite a few. Some other non-union retailers who were given higher "work happiness" ratings from past/present workers include Trader Joes (80 points, rated High), Costco Wholesale (78 points, rated Above Average), and HEB (77 points, rated Above Average).

My impression is that the three biggest differences in how typical employees at these retailers enjoy their working life compared with Target are in the categories of:
Trust - Do people feel they can trust others at their company?
Belonging - Do people feel a sense of belonging in their company?
Management - Do people feel their manager helps them succeed?

If you spend time comparing the "Work Happiness" ratings of other companies, Target is far from the worst.

A labor union won't really get at the heart of the concerns which really matter. The companies listed above are all union free but they tend to develop their own internal talent, relying heavily on promotion-from-within to fill the supervisory, managerial and professional/technical ranks of the company. They also have lower turnover rates. It would be almost unthinkable for any employee at Trader Joes, Costco or HEB to be advocating for a union, they would be ignored by their coworkers and (ironically) probably not fired.

Last edited:
I'm the Closing TL, and I already have to improvise and pull from other areas every day during this increased business. I dont know what the hell happened yesterday, but I had closing beauty, softlines, and 2 sfs tm call out. While training a new TL on closing procedures.

If you call out, you are not screwing Target or making them reconsider things. You are only screwing me. A hard working middle manager that has to work in order to pay for his house, food, family, etc just like you do.

I treat my team well, expect them to finish tasks in a reasonable time frame and divert other areas to assist overwhelmed ones when possible. I am not unreasonable, and I work alongside my team to get things done.

So calling out today only screws your leads that are just trying to make things work during this time. It's up to the individual if they feel that's worth it.

I'm the Closing TL, and I already have to improvise and pull from other areas every day during this increased business. I dont know what the hell happened yesterday, but I had closing beauty, softlines, and 2 sfs tm call out. While training a new TL on closing procedures. If you call out, you are not screwing Target or making them reconsider things. You are only screwing me. A hard working middle manager that has to work in order to pay for his house, food, family, etc just like you do. I treat my team well, expect them to finish tasks in a reasonable time frame and divert other areas to assist overwhelmed ones when possible. I am not unreasonable, and I work alongside my team to get things done. So calling out today only screws your leads that are just trying to make things work during this time. It's up to the individual if they feel that's worth it.
Well said. Due to sharp cuts in hours this week, I'm not scheduled to work today but I would not hesitate to go in to work today if called. Regardless of where any of us worked - whether it be Target or Boeing or Costco or Amazon - we'd all have concerns and complaints. Overall, the TLs, ETL, closing TL and SD I work for are damned decent to work for when all is said and done. They probably are a big reason I remain at Target and haven't bolted to a different retail company.

Hey, maybe I'll get a call to come in and work a few extra hours. Happy May Day!

Not one call off at my store today. If it was a weekend that May 1st fell on they would have had 5-6 call offs minimum they could claim as supporting the cause 🤦🏻‍♂️

This guy is an idiot. He isn't inspiring change with 300 call offs. I'm sure when the people called off they didn't mention they were supporting this cause, so maybe their message falls on deaf ears. Like many others have said you are screwing over your coworkers at your store. Target corporate is probably glad to be saving the hours, you are helping them.

If you really wanted to screw over Target you'd stay clocked in and work past your shift or not do an end work punch and screw up payroll reporting for the end of month.

The only good thing he did call out was they already promised to raise everyone to $15, I realize this didn't effect everyone but I'm sure it did the vast majority of team members.

They are estimating, at best, around 500 call outs chainwide? On average, that isn't even 1 TM per all the stores in the chain. On any random week day you probably have around 1000 chainwide. You really stuck it to The Man there, Slick.

mayday_2013_poster.jpg

May-Day-2017.jpg

We're all fortunate to still be working. I think Target corporate has handled it well. This guy has major cojones. I think he'll be performances out very soon.

He won't be performanced out. That will just make him a martyr, and martyrs are strong symbols. Target very likely sees keeping him where he is will do more to squash dissent by making him a laughing stock than if they fire him and it has even the slightest whiff of retaliation.

Edit: You don't think that he's actually working with Target in an anti-union campaign by giving the image of someone who is ridiculous in their attempted union actions?

Back