COVID-19 Coronavirus...

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Opposed to :
97,876 cases of coronavirus infection resulting in 3,347 deaths across the entire globe.

Stop being a dumb jackass and posting idiotic statistics tia

You business majors area really showing your ass wrt Covid-19.

Woah I just heard this totally fabricated stat where 300,000 workers are working after clocking out!

Seriously the lot of you hooligans should invest in actual critical thinking skills because goddamn y'all are dumb af.

Business closed in Italy and other nations. Teams play in front empty stadiums. Yeah the Corona virus is just an ordinary virus. 😒

COVID-19 has infected a fairly small amount of population with a statistically higher death rate than other viruses, yes. However, it's just warming up.

Humans don't have a direct immunity yet since it's brand spanking new, having just made the jump from animals to humans. Yawn, we see that every year with bird flu. However COVID-19 has had the necessary mutation to jump easily from human to human, and the particular type of mutation is similar to the one found in HIV and Ebola. And we know how aggressively those can spread.

COVID-19 is very similar, genetically, to SARS and MERS. However COVID-19 spreading like kudzu, and in 53 days number of people infected was more than all people infected with SARS.

COVID-19 isn't the Andromeda strain. Right now it's not the Spanish flu. However we're only 4 months in and it's still mutating and spreading. It could get nastier very, very easily.

Back in the early 2000s I saw an article about SARS near the end of its spread. A scientist was quoted as saying that SARS was Mother Nature giving us a test run for stopping a global pandemic (the fear then was bird flu or swine flu from China) and we failed miserably. At a guess from how COVID-19 is spreading, scientists really didn't learn much about spread prevention, which is pretty surprising since there's been other serious viruses spread globally, so time to refine any lessons learned.

Personally I don't think that we are going to be all but wiped out. I do think it's going to be nasty, but the worst are going to be the usual populations - children and elderly and immune compromised. Those who are in decent shape will fare worse than with flus and colds but better proportionally than the population ratios for cold and flu complications.

On a side note, I'm surprised that I'm still seeing commercials on TV for immune suppressants for pretty general conditions like ezcema and chronic diarrhea and (non-rheumatoid) arthritis. I'd have thought that suppressing the immune system would be the last thing people want to do when something like this comes out.

I just found out that my state has three confirmed cases.

In a nearby county.

Where one manager lives.

At least one in his neighborhood.

There's only 17 of us regularly and frequently shuffling papers, sharing a small area of enclosed air, sharing a breakroom and two private bathrooms with him.

Yeah I'm going to catch COVID-19.

The mortality rate of coronavirus is 20x (or more) that of the flu (at least). Mortality rate from the flu is .1%. Coronavirus is around 2%, but could be higher.

Even among younger populations, those for whom it's "mild", it's .2%, double that of the flu in the overall population.

Once this thing spreads in the US (and it will) it could be very, very bad. Especially since we have a gov't more interested in denying reality to protect its own money than doing their best to mitigate and prepare for the outbreak.
Yes, just because fewer people have died from coronavirus doesn’t mean it’s less deadly. The outbreak is just getting started. Now hopefully it’s seasonal and dissipates before it gets really bad, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Yes, just because fewer people have died from coronavirus doesn’t mean it’s less deadly. The outbreak is just getting started. Now hopefully it’s seasonal and dissipates before it gets really bad, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
It could also be less deadly. Those are confirmed cases. The people who thought they simply had the head cold from hell and never went for testing are obviously skewing the statistics.

And my work's Typhoid Mary is spraying his hands with Lysol spray before touching stuff.

In the Seattle area, people aren't joking about the concerns. Our store, like others around Seattle, is pretty damned close to Kirkland, where 11 of the 14 CV deaths in the US have occurred. A couple of school districts have closed all their schools. Seattle-area conventions, conferences, church services, concerts and so forth are being canceled. This is largely out of caution, though there is a fear factor as well. It's possible that this writer, as well as my other teammates, have been exposed to CV from guests even though we might not actually develop the illness. (I would guess that very, very few folks being exposed will become afflicted, but who knows???) My purpose is not to create panic but to mention the risks.

Watch this video interview of well-known business journalist Maria Bartiromo about CV: Bartiromo warns investors about coronavirus

Last edited:
Soooo, as someone who is only a TM... what has been communicated about call outs related to this. And, say, by chance, these call outs happen to be in an area in the Pacific NW where the Coronavirus is... bad?

My store decided to have Lysol spray, Clorox wipes and hand sanitizers at each counter in the TMSC and in the equipment room. They are not considering the Clorox wipes and paper wipers touched with Lysol spray ESIM material. Its an “emergency exception“ from what leadership said. CV making it more difficult on everyone.

The other thing about the virus, is even if the mortality rate isn't super high, the percentage of cases needing hospitalization is around 15%, which is bananas. If we can't slow the spread as much as possible, that will quickly overwhelm hospitals and people will die who shouldn't have.

Places like South Korea are seeing lower death rates, but they're been very proactive and aggressive about testing and dealing with the situation head-on. That's how you keep it from being as deadly.

The US, OTOH, is led by an ego in an orange human suit and his cronies who only care about appearing to have fewer cases so he can protect his (and his cronies') stock portfolio and re-election campaign. That is not the way, as it turns out, to flatten the curve and slow the infection enough for health care facilities to keep up or give time for a vaccine.

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Opposed to :
97,876 cases of coronavirus infection resulting in 3,347 deaths across the entire globe.
Now do the fractions and convert them to percentages...

It could also be less deadly. Those are confirmed cases. The people who thought they simply had the head cold from hell and never went for testing are obviously skewing the statistics.

And my work's Typhoid Mary is spraying his hands with Lysol spray before touching stuff.
Let's look at the Diamond Princess cruise in Japan, the closest we have to a controlled experiment. Everyone was tested, over 700 tested positive, and 6 people died. So yes, this yields a lower death rate than taking the reported deaths and dividing them by the reported cases, but it's still much higher than the flu.

Ok....just a simple question here. Is this affecting the stock market or....our 401k? I noticed they change the layout on the site and its not showing me the grid of plummet I am interpreting from it? I also recieved an email from BCU (i have target credit union run by Baxter Credit Union) regarding my financial security and health of the credit union during this coronavirus pandemic. Does this mean people are taking out their money?

People could be taking out their money or they could be stocking up on supplies.

It is affecting the stock market, and will even more over the next few weeks, but unless you're within a couple years of retirement don't worry about it. For those of us who have decades to go before retirement, when the stock market goes down the overall value of your 401K will go down, but the money you put in also buys more shares, so when the market rebounds, your 401K will see the benefits of that.

Mrs. Captain and I went to Costco a few days ago for the hot dog and all the diet soda you can hold fine dining experience and didn't see anyone going crazy over buying. I did see one person buy 3 of their awesome huge apple pies. Diet soda to keep that youthful boyish figure. We bought a chicken.

I was told we are to wipe down the registers (belts, card readers, touch screens, etc) every thirty minutes but when I have mentioned this to other front end TMs no one else was told to do this. 🧐 I’m usually on SCO so I was wiping them all down every couple of hours just for my own desire for cleanliness. (More often if there was leaking meat packages or condensation from produce or drinks.)

Also, all open snacks and jars of peanut butter in the break room were trashed and replaced with single serve items. I hope no one was relying on the pbj for their lunch.

I'm much leas concerned with gettinng sick and dying, as I am with the infrastructure failing.

Concerned about riots and crime. Concerned about food supply. Concerned about electricity going out and not being fixed timely. I'm confident as a market TL that I can get canned food when things go south, but worried about things being bad into summer, before gardens can be harvested.

Back