Couldn't be happier

Luck

The one and only SCTM™
Well, I am officially out! Honestly I dont have any amazing story to tell or hate to dish. I had a reasonable level of good experiences over the past ~10 years with Target store and DC side. There was bad but that will be true of any job.

The big thing that ended up seperating me from the company is I had the misfortune of joining Asset Protection ~2 years ago. At the time it was still a relatively chill place to be, although it was obvious Target was beggining to ramp up focus.

I didnt mind catching thieves and was quite good at it, and safety has always been a core value of mine. But one day an external vendor brought a gun into the DC and sure enough I ended up having to manage the situation essentially solo (on-site production managers were very helpful but at the end of the day I was calling the shots and preventing them from taking steps against directives).

Nothing horrible came from it. I was even told I managed the situation perfectly. But it became very real in that instant how very real things could get an instant and I was not comforatable working in the role anymore and had no desire to return to a labor position.

Stay safe everyone, especially those working in stores and DCs in major crime areas, and best of luck to all of the AP TMs weathering this storm. Thankfully I am in a financial situation I can take some time to collect myself and find a new way forward. Probably try to start my own business at this point.

Congrats! I would love to be in a position where I didn't have to work!

I did retail security for 10 years, mid-90s to mid-00s. Saw some crazy shit, had a lot of fun. Saw people get hurt too, not so fun. Was offered a higher-paying position in the store and took it. These days I'd never work security - way too dangerous and your hands are tied.

tumblr_m41e2o5nhT1rw7k3jo1_500.gif

Even an old redneck here wouldn't touch AP. Corp has your balls in a salmon net, they dictate everything and you never know who is packing a 9mm. Gone are the days of grabbing a perp by the arm and walking them to a mirrored room. Good luck going forward.

Since I’ve been gone the dsd has visited the store 10 times and 2 hq visits and 4 Apbp visit . That’s a bad sign. I use to hope for a visit from dsd . I would get 2 visits a year and that with the sd begging the dsd to come by

Hearing from my old coworkers it has definitely only gotten worse.
Little update: I have since gotten a job as a manager in another warehouse. It was shocking how eager they were to hire me with my experience and credentials. Comparative to the hoops we were being asked to jump through to move up at Target. The con is there is limited upward opportunity, but I am more than happy to work here for a few years to add a strong managerial profile to my resume.

Little update: I have since gotten a job as a manager in another warehouse. It was shocking how eager they were to hire me with my experience and credentials. Comparative to the hoops we were being asked to jump through to move up at Target. The con is there is limited upward opportunity, but I am more than happy to work here for a few years to add a strong managerial profile to my resume.
It will only get better continue looking forward.

No matter what the industry I have always thought you need to switch companies every four or five years to move up in your career.

That's also the only way to make more money long term.

The weird thing I see at my store is TMs that have full time job that I would think would be pay a lot more than the part-time Target one.

It's hard to move up in your career if you are too tired from working a part-time job that pays quite a bit less.

No matter what the industry I have always thought you need to switch companies every four or five years to move up in your career.

That's also the only way to make more money long term.

The weird thing I see at my store is TMs that have full time job that I would think would be pay a lot more than the part-time Target one.

It's hard to move up in your career if you are too tired from working a part-time job that pays quite a bit less.
What kind of jobs do they have? You'd probably be surprised at how little some jobs pay.

........But one day an external vendor brought a gun into the DC and sure enough I ended up having to manage the situation essentially solo (on-site production managers were very helpful but at the end of the day I was calling the shots and preventing them from taking steps against directives).

Nothing horrible came from it. I was even told I managed the situation perfectly. But it became very real in that instant how very real things could get an instant and I was not comforatable working in the role anymore and had no desire to return to a labor position.

Stay safe everyone, especially those working in stores and DCs in major crime areas, and best of luck to all of the AP TMs weathering this storm. Thankfully I am in a financial situation I can take some time to collect myself and find a new way forward. Probably try to start my own business at this point.
I can't begin to imagine the stress you were under at the time: I'm bolding the phrase "I was calling the shots" not because of your ironic choice of words but to begin to grasp the seriousness of your situation. Was this an active shooter situation or a scenario where the gun-carrying vendor had not yet actually carried an act of violence? Both scenarios are exceedingly worrisome.

I can't begin to imagine the stress you were under at the time: I'm bolding the phrase "I was calling the shots" not because of your ironic choice of words but to begin to grasp the seriousness of your situation. Was this an active shooter situation or a scenario where the gun-carrying vendor had not yet actually carried an act of violence? Both scenarios are exceedingly worrisome.
The latter, thankfully. Stressful either way.

Back