Archived Counterfit/Fake Coupons Are Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's coming from ETL and/or STL to accept pretty much anything to avoid negative feedback on the surveys.
Store's position to accept anything is the opposite of corporate's goal to make money.

Ths isn't specific to coupons, but since the discussion is happening here ATM....

My STL is now starting to have conversations about price match/guest challenge. I have been told that he doesn't want us to take up the guest's time any more to research whether the claimed price makes sense, and to just give it to them.

This seems completely ass-backward to me. It's pretty literally theft IMO, much like the guest who makes photocopies of their coupons.com print-outs to get multiple items.

Ths isn't specific to coupons, but since the discussion is happening here ATM....

My STL is now starting to have conversations about price match/guest challenge. I have been told that he doesn't want us to take up the guest's time any more to research whether the claimed price makes sense, and to just give it to them.

This seems completely ass-backward to me. It's pretty literally theft IMO, much like the guest who makes photocopies of their coupons.com print-outs to get multiple items.

Same at my store. Our requests to pm and challenge have jumped considerably in the week since this approach has been put into play.

And that is exactly WHY I made a visible effort to research. Because I knew that the guests would learn that we're pushovers if I didn't.

Part of the comment my GSA made to me in telling me about this was "it's not our money, why do we care". Uh, if Immagonna get written up for excessive adjustments, you're damned right I care.

And that is exactly WHY I made a visible effort to research. Because I knew that the guests would learn that we're pushovers if I didn't.

Part of the comment my GSA made to me in telling me about this was "it's not our money, why do we care". Uh, if Immagonna get written up for excessive adjustments, you're damned right I care.
Whenever a GSA tells me to do something I don’t feel comfortable with I ask them to do it on their login.

Today I had 5 coupon scammers come through my line alone, all of which I rejected as they were using fake, expired, or too many coupons. The last one that came through asked to speak to a manager and then told the GSA that she felt that I was racially profiling her because I wouldn’t let her use 4 manufacturer coupons on one thing of dish soap and then made him get her the # for guest relations. RIP :(

Today I had 5 coupon scammers come through my line alone, all of which I rejected as they were using fake, expired, or too many coupons. The last one that came through asked to speak to a manager and then told the GSA that she felt that I was racially profiling her because I wouldn’t let her use 4 manufacturer coupons on one thing of dish soap and then made him get her the # for guest relations. RIP :(
Can you tell us more about the different instances? So we can learn from them?

Can you tell us more about the different instances? So we can learn from them?
Sure thing. The coupon scammers that we get most of the time at my store are for cosmetics/personal care items and for household supplies.
Lately, coupon scammers have been coming in with coupons for Aussie hair products, Palmolive dish soap, and Viva paper towel, to name a few, since you get a $5 gift card for buying a certain number of these items. Since you have to buy the items in one transaction, they try to use coupons for each of their items which say (in bold text) one per purchase, and [two or four] per household per day. So, I tell them that they can do separate transactions if they want to use all the coupons, but then they freak out because they won’t get the gift card and pitch a fit.
Other than that, people have also been coming in with a coupon for $2 off any Aussie hair product, and trying to use it on single use packets which are $2.49 each. On the coupon, however, it says excludes single use packets and travel sizes (it will still work if you scan it without reading it so be careful). This coupon is also a one per purchase coupon, and they try to use like 5 in one purchase since we had a coupon for a $5 gift card with a $20 beauty purchase.
People also come in with printed coupons.com coupons. With these, you have to be careful - they will also have limits written on them. If they don’t scan, you don’t accept it. And, each coupon SHOULD have a unique serial # on it, since coupons.com generates unique numbers for each and only lets you print a certain amount. If the numbers are all the same, you only accept one.
There are also manufacturer coupons which look like they should come on newspaper (smaller in physical size than coupons.com coupons) - if a guest comes in with a photocopy of one of these or a sheet of photocopied coupons, these are invalid - the coupons say right on them that they are invalid if reproduced in any way.
In any purchase where the guest gets a promotional gift card, do not accept coupons which would bring the total to lower than the amount of the gift card that they’re getting (for example, say a guest buys $20 worth of cosmetics to get a $5 gift card as part of the weekly ad - do not accept coupons which would make their total less than $5)
Guests will also try to buy two items and then use two coupons which are buy one get one free to get both things for free. This is not allowed, they must buy at least one. You cannot accept coupons which bring a guest’s total down to $0.
Also, regarding manufacturers coupons - more than one cannot be used on one single item, and only one target coupon and one manf. coupon can be used on a single item. If a guest tries to use a manf. coupon via cartwheel and then tries to use a paper manf. coupon on the same item, it just won’t work.

I’m sure I missed some stuff, this is all I could think of off the top of my head from the last few days while on my break. Hopefully it helped a little. You should be fine if you just read the print on the coupons and follow it, and ask the GSTL for help if you need it or if you see someone trying to use a lot of coupons - they will try to trick you into letting them use more coupons than is allowed.

There is one circumstance that a guests total can be zero. If they’re buying ONE THING and they have a coupon for that ONE THING to be free, and you’ve triple checked to ensure it’s a valid coupon.

There were some valid free chobani coupons a few weeks ago. got a few of their yogurt drinks free.

Biggest advice: IF SOMETHING DOESNT FEEL RIGHT, EVEN IF YOU DONT KNOW WHY, CALL A GSTL. TRUST YOUR GUT.

YOU ARE SO HELPFUL. wait so I'm confused about the language of the first sxamp. "one per purchase, limit of 4 coupons per household per day" if they're buying 3 Aussie shampoos and they have 4 coupons, can they not use all the coupons?

YOU ARE SO HELPFUL. wait so I'm confused about the language of the first sxamp. "one per purchase, limit of 4 coupons per household per day" if they're buying 3 Aussie shampoos and they have 4 coupons, can they not use all the coupons?
No.

Each item can have...
ONE manufacturer OR cartwheel manufacturer coupon
ONE target coupon
ONE cartwheel discount

That’s it.

Basically you cannot use two manf. coupons on one item. You also cannot present two buy one get one free coupons and have them cancel eachother out and get both for free

Per purchase and per transaction are different.
If the coupon states limit 1 per purchase, the guest can use up to 4 like coupons as long as they are purchasing 4 items. Four is Target's limit when the manufacturer doesn't stipulate a limit on the coupon.
A lot of cashier confuse or misunderstanding this.

Last edited:
If our registers won't take a coupon we aren't permitted to do anything to accept the coupon....per AP.
If something feels fishy, it is OK to refuse the coupon.....per AP.

Hey guys, we’ve had guests coming in lately with a screenshot of the old cartwheel app with a $10 manufacturer coupon on it - one of my cashiers accepted this 3 times and please don’t do it.

We don’t accept screenshots of carthwheel, it has to be the actual app. The woman using it said it was “from her email” but then refused to show me the email so I could figure out what this coupon is actually for - she told me it was for “$10 off your purchase” but when you scan it it comes up as a Manufacturer coupon. At my store it asks you how many paper manufacturer coupons were used and apparently the girl that had rang her before 3 times just put it in as 1 paper manufacturer coupon, (according to the guest) otherwise it doesn’t let you accept the coupon. It’s not a paper coupon so that was immediately kind of a red flag for me so I denied it and she made me call the LOD over (who also determined it was fake) so just watch out for that.

If target doesnt take online coupons for free items then why did they air the free chobani advertisement every 5 minutes a while back? And i had no problem using them at self checkout.
Free chobani coupons are available in paper circulars.

Someone tried passing me the ole "Buy a pack of gum, get exclusive ownership of this Target location with the option to expand into corporate ownership" coupon.

I tried processing it through, but things got held up when they couldn't provide a second form of ID for the Form-W9 (and, I'm pretty sure the first form of ID was actually just a screenshot from "Too Many Cooks")

So, definitely be on the lookout for these!

Someone tried passing me the ole "Buy a pack of gum, get exclusive ownership of this Target location with the option to expand into corporate ownership" coupon.

I tried processing it through, but things got held up when they couldn't provide a second form of ID for the Form-W9 (and, I'm pretty sure the first form of ID was actually just a screenshot from "Too Many Cooks")

So, definitely be on the lookout for these!
OMG I HATE that one!!! It sucks that POS accepts it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back