Archived Coupon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
Do we even have a thread for coupons in general cos I have need for one

Anyways. A guest came in with a pack of tampons and a coupon that would let her get it for free. Nothing else besides those two things. In the coupon policy it says we don't take those and I pointed it to her and she left. At my break the GSA called me over and asked if I denied a guest a coupon because apparently they called and complained or something. So I explained to her and she was like "ok thanks just wanted to know."

My question is basically this; will I get in trouble for that? Cashiers here hella tend to get fired regarding coupons...though it's usually taking them that does it. Should I have called the GSA before outright rejecting it or did I do what I should have as a cashier? It's probably a case of ASANTS but I get super paranoid about these kinds of things and knowing what my chances are of getting trouble at all (even if it's a guess) would probably help u.u

As long as your GSA was fine with your explanation, there should be no problem.
There's posted policy & there's ASANTS.
As long as you know how your store observes the policy & you're following it, you should be good to go.
The biggest gripe on here was leadership not backing up TMs or TLs on policy.

The policy is for web coupons only. If it's a coupon for a free product you got from a manufacturer, then we take those.

This. Manufacturer's coupons for a free item with no purchase requirements generally have some sort of hologram, so if there's a hologram and the guest has the correct item, it's legit.

This. Manufacturer's coupons for a free item with no purchase requirements generally have some sort of hologram, so if there's a hologram and the guest has the correct item, it's legit.

Yup. Had one of these for a Ponds products come up with another cashier while I was covering the GSA's break. At first I was getting ready to tell the guest we couldn't take it and follow up with the LOD if need be. Gladly I remembered that one the GSTLs had told me a while back that coupons for free items are fine as long as they have the hologram.

I'll keep in mind that hologram thing since I don't feel like I've come across those yet. Some dude in AP was like good job w/e the coupon policy thing earlier...so I guess it's cool??

Cashiers are getting fired over coupons?

Yeah we had one recently fired for accepting some 10 dollar off coupon. Dunno the exact details, heard it from a GSA so now I've been absolutely terrified when a couponer comes through my lane. The GSAs all have different policies too...one is basically like "just take it" one is like "ok let's triple check this product to make sure it matches" and another is like "if this screen (the no coupons avail with the option to accept anyways) pops up cant take it srry" so it gets...really confusing for me

Not all free coupons have a hologram. I got one sent to me recently (for an Innovasian frozen meal for entering 5 codes into their rewards program) and it didn't have one, but was printed on thicker paper and had a "Validate this coupon with this code" on it.
Always remember to write the amount of the product in the box. That way we get reimbursed.

There's always guests who will photo-shop an online coupon for something free.
Had a lady print out some Crest toothpaste coupons & remove the Crest portion so she could use it on other brands. I denied it when it wouldn't go thru & I recognized it from some I had printed out from MY computer.
No prob. She just went down a few lanes to the newb who always took any coupons.
He was gone not long after.

With my store, different GSAs seem to have different outlooks on coupons and giftcard deals and things like that. I can think of one GSA who will always insist on checking a sign if a deal won't show up or tell the guest outright that a coupon can't be accepted. But some of my other GSAs have told me "don't worry about it, our goal is to make the guest happy so just change a price, accept a coupon or give a giftcard as long as it's not too out there". I usually follow that policy for myself because sometimes if it's very busy and a $5 giftcard won't show up, it would make more sense to just give it to them instead of holding up the line and making everyone frustrated. I hope I won't get fired for that?? I'm just trying to be efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back