Covid protocol

I know names can’t be given of team members who have tested positive but what is official protocol from corporate as to what can be told? Is management allowed to let us know if we have been in direct contact with the person that tested positive? I feel like a text message going out letting everyone know there is a positive case with the last time the team member was in the building is not enough.... especially for folks that are working and high risk.

I know names can’t be given of team members who have tested positive but what is official protocol from corporate as to what can be told? Is management allowed to let us know if we have been in direct contact with the person that tested positive? I feel like a text message going out letting everyone know there is a positive case with the last time the team member was in the building is not enough.... especially for folks that are working and high risk.

If you're worried about catching coronavirus-

1. Get tested
2. Take an LOA

It's no different than a guest coughing then touching the shampoo you zoned after them. You wouldn't be notified of them catching COVID.

Wear gloves, wear a mask, be socially distant, and wash your hands or hand sanitizer when you can't.

We had a positive case in our store this week, and all we were told was to drink lots of water and take vitamins. They never told us who it was, but you know how word gets around, and it turns out that it was someone in my department that I work really closely with.

Well, surprise, surprise, I went home today with a 100 degree fever 🙃 I understand they can't tell us names, but it would be awesome if they could be more upfront about who was in direct contact with who. Not just "someone in your store"

I asked them if they can at least tell us where the team member worked (which department). they told me they cannot provide that information.

We had a positive case in our store this week, and all we were told was to drink lots of water and take vitamins. They never told us who it was, but you know how word gets around, and it turns out that it was someone in my department that I work really closely with.

Well, surprise, surprise, I went home today with a 100 degree fever 🙃 I understand they can't tell us names, but it would be awesome if they could be more upfront about who was in direct contact with who. Not just "someone in your store"
That’s the way I see it too.
I hope you feel better soon and it’s not covid!!

I don’t think that’s right at all . I get the not giving names but department?... that wouldn’t be an issue if I had any say so. I’m a nobody on the Target totem pole tho so there’s that!! Haha

Giving you any information at all would be too easy to figure out who it was and that breaks their right to privacy.
The store can be sued for passing that around, which is the main reason they are being so cagey not out of kindness or respect for the sick person.
You deal with guests or the leftovers from guests all day.
There is just as good a chance you'll catch it from them.
Hell, they traced 71 cases to a women who rode up an elevator and she wasn't on it when they were.
She was following all the rules, when she found out she was sick, went home, stayed there, didn't come out.
But the elevator she rode in made 71 people sick.

Last edited:
Giving you any information at all would be too easy to figure out who it was and that breaks their right to privacy.
The store can be sued for passing that around, which is the main reason they are being so cagey not out of kindness or respect for the sick person.
You deal with guests or the leftovers from guests all day.
There is just as good a chance you'll catch it from them.
Hell, they traced 71 cases to a women who rode up an elevator and she wasn't on it when they were.
She was following all the rules, when she found out she was sick, went home, stayed there, didn't come out.
But the elevator she rode it made 71 people sick.

You make very valid points. Thanks for your input.

What are your feelings if a TM is sick and waiting for their test results and their best friend who also works in the same department still comes to work?

but it would be awesome if they could be more upfront about who was in direct contact with who. Not just "someone in your store"
HIPPA law . Legally they have no obligation to tell you about a positive case let alone the information you are asking for . Is it morally right? NO . Do I agree with it ? Hell no i have a kid with asthma that I’m trying to protect . But do I see their point? Yeah , you can’t do anything to get target to break the law by disclosing anything about any tm who is positive .

When I was home for 3 days waiting for my results, I heard (after I returned to work once I tested negative) that my SD said over the walkie my first day gone that I was absent from work because I had been tested and wouldn't be back for at least a few days. So, IF I had tested positive, everyone would have known/assumed who it was once the text message went out.

Last edited:
When I was home for 3 days waiting for my results, I heard (after I returned to work once I tested negative) that my SD said over the walking my first day gone that I was absent from work because I had been tested and wouldn't be back for at least a few days. So, IF I had tested positive, everyone would have known/assumed who it was once the text message went out.

That's some kind of bullshit.
Totally unacceptable.

On a slightly unrelated note: is anyone being told at their store that you still have to come in to work if you are showing symptoms and are awaiting the results of a Covid-19 test? We've have at least one sick team member who was told that it would count against their attendence if they called out while waiting for the result of their test.

I overheard our HR and one of the ETLs talking about a TM who got tested (turned out negative, they're fine), ETL was verifying protocol for when that TM could return and all that.
Should've really been a closed-door conversation, not calling out to each other from their offices across the hall.
I knew right away who they were talking about because I'm friends with that TM and they messaged me about their "possible exposure" situation.
But we're not a large store... it wouldn't have been difficult for others to figure it out. It's easily noticed when any one of us isn't there on one or more of our normal days.

On a slightly unrelated note: is anyone being told at their store that you still have to come in to work if you are showing symptoms and are awaiting the results of a Covid-19 test? We've have at least one sick team member who was told that it would count against their attendence if they called out while waiting for the result of their test.

I haven't heard this, but I'm in the same boat. I went out yesterday with a fever, had to call in today, and I'm worried about the rest of my shifts because I was told my covid test would take 10-15 days to come back. Am I expected to work during this time? If it comes back negative, I'll take the missed time, whatever. But if it comes back positive and I'm forced to go back to work during that time, I could be giving it to countless people. I hate that.

I haven't heard this, but I'm in the same boat. I went out yesterday with a fever, had to call in today, and I'm worried about the rest of my shifts because I was told my covid test would take 10-15 days to come back. Am I expected to work during this time? If it comes back negative, I'll take the missed time, whatever. But if it comes back positive and I'm forced to go back to work during that time, I could be giving it to countless people. I hate that.
If you are being tested with symptoms and your doctor said to stay home you should be receiving pandemic pay. Contact your HR and educate yourself on the Covid policies. Your HR should have these posted and they are available online. Test results should not take 10-15 days, most are within half that time.

HIPPA law . Legally they have no obligation to tell you about a positive case let alone the information you are asking for . Is it morally right? NO . Do I agree with it ? Hell no i have a kid with asthma that I’m trying to protect . But do I see their point? Yeah , you can’t do anything to get target to break the law by disclosing anything about any tm who is positive .
I heard that HIPAA does not apply to employer/employee.

If you are being tested with symptoms and your doctor said to stay home you should be receiving pandemic pay. Contact your HR and educate yourself on the Covid policies. Your HR should have these posted and they are available online. Test results should not take 10-15 days, most are within half that time.

My HR has told me directly before that we only qualify for the pandemic pay if we test positive and provide them the test results. Any time we're out without a positive test will not be paid. I'm not saying that that is exactly true, just what my store has been told. I'm also really hoping you're right about the test time, I went to an urgent care and they are the ones who told me about the turn around on it. I just want to know for sure.

Also, on the main topic, I know that they are protecting the privacy of the positively tested TM, but there also should be some public health common sense in there somewhere in the interest of stopping the spread.

I thought they had to notify anyone who may have come in contact with person. Not who it was, but that they may have been exposed.

Yeah real nice assholes making a team member whose scared to death that they have a life threatening illness scared that on top of potential having this that they could also lose their job by doing the right thing. Good job supporting team members who are potentially sick Tarshit.

If you're worried about catching coronavirus-

1. Get tested
2. Take an LOA

It's no different than a guest coughing then touching the shampoo you zoned after them. You wouldn't be notified of them catching COVID.

Wear gloves, wear a mask, be socially distant, and wash your hands or hand sanitizer when you can't.
Funny you say that because contact tracing apps will make just that possible

We had one of our cashiers out because they were getting tested. Everyone thought he was a NCNS for days, so HR didn't even tell the SETL that he was ok to be out. I also found out that I had direct contact with a covid postive team member 2 months after she returned from being sick and I only found out because she told me.

Back