COVID-19 COVID return policy

There's a huge list of instructions that my SETL printed out for all GSTMs to read.

Z-racks for all clothing that will have quarantine dates of 3 days....rolled to the backroom and kept until they can be worked by Style team. Bins for soft goods like pillows and comforters also dated and put in backroom. Hard items will be immediately disinfected and put back on the floor.

GS will be doing all of the returns, sorting and disinfecting plus OPUs and DU (at my store anyway) so yeah, there is potential for a big headache come Monday.
Not just rolled anywhere to the Backroom . The directions was to create a space where you will be keeping all returns and quarantined for 3 days .

I'd love to know what space corporate thinks stores have for this.

With FRs closed, clothing returns are likely to be extra huge. Ain't nobody got space for that. Are they sending a trailer?

I'd love to know what space corporate thinks stores have for this.

With FRs closed, clothing returns are likely to be extra huge. Ain't nobody got space for that. Are they sending a trailer?
You supposed to make space . I was able to make space in the Backroom . And offsite would be my back up

There might technically be square footage in the back, but if it's supposed to be "quarantined" and kept away from TMs, that doesn't really work, as there is no space in the backroom that doesn't have TMs in the same space. With the FRs still closed it's likely safer to bury the returns in the middle/back of the racks than to put it in the back where people are moving in and amongst the "quarantined" merch.

Now, I don't think the clothing is a significant transmission vector, so I'm mostly being a PITA here, but pointing out that the idea of "quarantining" softlines items is particularly fucking stupid given the average store layout.

If this was actually a practical move and not a PR one, that is, but since it's not, whatever.

They cut our second OPU storage area in half even though we have just as many OPU's (over 400 orders) at any given time. The half is to be used for quarantined. So in 150 sq ft we have about 275 OPU's, 2-3 OPU pickers storing with mid to large carts plus 1-2 SD retrieving- no social distancing and practically tripping over items that won't fit on shelves, some on carts and some on the floor.

Fitting rooms would be a horrible place to store for quarantine. How many guests are trying to get in the fitting rooms even though they are clearly closed? Guests will just be pawing the racks once they see them, and spreading word to their local friends and maybe other shoppers in sight.

They cut our second OPU storage area in half even though we have just as many OPU's (over 400 orders) at any given time. The half is to be used for quarantined. So in 150 sq ft we have about 275 OPU's, 2-3 OPU pickers storing with mid to large carts plus 1-2 SD retrieving- no social distancing and practically tripping over items that won't fit on shelves, some on carts and some on the floor.
I’m surprised they are allowing ‘quarantined’ merch NEXT TO orders to go out! Way to CROSS CONTAMINATE and spread the virus infecting new orders !
With the fitting rooms closed and off limits with no tm’s/guests chancing a contamination from an infected returned item - that seems to be the ONLY safe location. Except if it is possible to NOT use a training room (since we should have stopped interviewing & hiring) or the closed Starbucks seating area as space to store the stuff til it can be re-stocked.
Wherever it is it has to be clear what the return date is and a smooth rotation of items in and safely dated items returned to the salesfloor.
Fitting rooms would be a horrible place to store for quarantine. How many guests are trying to get in the fitting rooms even though they are clearly closed? Guests will just be pawing the racks once they see them, and spreading word to their local friends and maybe other shoppers in sight.
😳 your guests sound horrible.
I think our clientele are respectful of a barrier. Especially if you sign it : keep OUT “for their safety”.

🤣 I started imagining Karen on her cell calling a friend “come to Target NOW they have special racks ‘hidden’ in the fitting room behind barriers - help me break though to get to that beach cover up!”

Fitting rooms would make sense at my store. They're full rooms that lock, and we have 2 banks of fitting rooms, so probably 12-15 or so rooms. It would be easy enough to stash returns in a room and write a date on the mirror as to when the contents can be put back out on the floor.

Told Starbucks and fitting rooms will both be open soon, OPU area is full of orders and we have no conference room so all those locations are out for us. Talented ETL carved some out of the way area in the backroom. Kudos and thanks. I won’t even ask where you put everything that was there. Doesn’t matter, looks amazing, neat, clear and safe.
one section has some returns in it - doesn’t seem like that much.

Is anyone using starbucks for quarantine? I'm not impressed with the idea, but they don't pay me to make decisions.

Our Starbucks doesn’t have an opening date for a few weeks. The dining area is being used to hold quarantine items. We’re using sterilite boxes and putting them on plastic pallets in the dining area. I wonder how that’s going to affect the on-hands.

Last edited:
I’m surprised they are allowing ‘quarantined’ merch NEXT TO orders to go out! Way to CROSS CONTAMINATE and spread the virus infecting new orders !
With the fitting rooms closed and off limits with no tm’s/guests chancing a contamination from an infected returned item - that seems to be the ONLY safe location. Except if it is possible to NOT use a training room (since we should have stopped interviewing & hiring) or the closed Starbucks seating area as space to store the stuff til it can be re-stocked.
Wherever it is it has to be clear what the return date is and a smooth rotation of items in and safely dated items returned to the salesfloor.

😳 your guests sound horrible.
I think our clientele are respectful of a barrier. Especially if you sign it : keep OUT “for their safety”.

🤣 I started imagining Karen on her cell calling a friend “come to Target NOW they have special racks ‘hidden’ in the fitting room behind barriers - help me break though to get to that beach cover up!”
I picture it more of an Instagram post, but same idea...

It was a shit show. I had a plan, but no one from the sales floor would come up to get their reshop. We had a pretty long line at guest service all day. SD thinks my team needs to work the reshop out to the floor. It will be crazy when the first batch of quarantined reshop is ready to go back out to the floor.

Back