Covid Temperature Checks

My store posted a sign today that all employees need to have their temperature checked before they start their shift.

Is Target allowed to do this?

What is the temperature limit? Not everyone's normal temperature is 98.6 - some are slightly higher and some are slightly lower?

What if a team member has a temperature? Can they refuse to let you work your shift and send you home?

If you are sent home, are you allowed to show up for your shift the next day or do you have to stay home for a certain number of days?

How would Target know if you are taking Tylenol or another medication to lower or suppress a temperature?

Does Target pay you for shift(s) and hours you are scheduled if they refuse to let you work your shift and send you home because of a temperature check?

Yes target is allowed to do temp checks. Hell in many states it is mandated. The cutoff temp is 100.4 so definitely not a "normal" temperature for anybody.
If you test higher than the cutoff you will not be allowed to work. I'm guessing you would have to quarantine and test negative before returning to work. I do believe target will pay you for that time off, but I'm not 100% sure.
No target will not know that you're taking Tylenol, but seriously don't be a dick. If you have covid you are contagious. If for any reason you are caught doing that you will probably be fired.

I'm kind of surprised we weren't doing it already.

I am curious about different normal body temps though... my normal is lower so 98.6 is a bit of a fever for me. I don't know if medically that is taken into consideration or if it's just 100.4 for everyone and body temp doesn't make a difference.

What if a team member has a temperature? Can they refuse to let you work your shift and send you home?
Yes you will be sent home and asked to go to the doctor and get tested . You won’t be allowed to come in unless you have your results .

Does Target pay you for shift(s) and hours you are scheduled if they refuse to let you work your shift and send you home because of a temperature check?
You can use your sick hours . You need to understand that target needs to protect all team members . So you being sick or having temperature is them protecting the staff and guest.

We are still working from home but when we start back to the office temperature checks will be required for us and any clients.
Can you see having someone at the door doing temperature checks on all the guests when they come in?
Who wants that job?

You can use your sick hours . You need to understand that target needs to protect all team members . So you being sick or having temperature is them protecting the staff and guest.

Target is not doing anything to prevent sick people being in the store. Temperature checks on employees is for the legal department so they have a defense when they inevitably get sued.

I could name numerous things Target is not doing to protect team members and guests.

Target is only doing superficial things so it looks like they care but in reality they do not care.

We are still working from home but when we start back to the office temperature checks will be required for us and any clients.
Can you see having someone at the door doing temperature checks on all the guests when they come in?
Who wants that job?

Target could build a plexiglass display that has the thermometer built in to check every guest. The team member would be completely behind the plexiglass and wearing PPE.

It is no different to the employee that checks your temperature when you go to a doctor's office or dentist's office or hair salon/barber. There are plenty of businesses that do a temperature check on every customer.

I saw an ad of dental office where they have installed a touch less checkin device that checks your temperature too without the aid of any staff and sends info to the reception. Found it interesting.

Was told today that we're going to guest masks required. If they won't, they will be directed to place a drive up order from their vehicle. Details are being discussed with regard to "medical condition" folks, but the CDC website pretty much says that almost (emphasis on almost) everyone, regardless of medical condition, should be able to wear a mask.

From what I've read, based on percentage people who report various symptoms, it would be more worthwhile to check people's sense of smell than their temperature, as more people report loss of smell than have a fever with Covid. So, yeah, temp checks not terribly useful.

Also the evidence is apparently showing more and more that most Covid is transmitted by people not showing symptoms, so. The only thing that would really help protect us would be to deploy rapid tests that everyone has to take at the start of their shift. Not fool-proof, but it would at least catch most people who were infected and likely to transmit to others.

The shareholders would never stand for Target investing some of their 20+% excessive earnings on something so helpful for employees, though, so it will never happen.

It's winter here, so you'd have to be pretty bad to temp over 100 with a forehead thermometer when it's 30 outside

From what I've read, based on percentage people who report various symptoms, it would be more worthwhile to check people's sense of smell than their temperature, as more people report loss of smell than have a fever with Covid. So, yeah, temp checks not terribly useful.

Also the evidence is apparently showing more and more that most Covid is transmitted by people not showing symptoms, so. The only thing that would really help protect us would be to deploy rapid tests that everyone has to take at the start of their shift. Not fool-proof, but it would at least catch most people who were infected and likely to transmit to others.

The shareholders would never stand for Target investing some of their 20+% excessive earnings on something so helpful for employees, though, so it will never happen.
Except that rapid tests are only accurate if your displaying symptoms. I've had 3 of them due to exposures. All 3 different places explained the relatively high risk of false negatives.

Yes target is allowed to do temp checks. Hell in many states it is mandated. The cutoff temp is 100.4 so definitely not a "normal" temperature for anybody.
If you test higher than the cutoff you will not be allowed to work. I'm guessing you would have to quarantine and test negative before returning to work. I do believe target will pay you for that time off, but I'm not 100% sure.
No target will not know that you're taking Tylenol, but seriously don't be a dick. If you have covid you are contagious. If for any reason you are caught doing that you will probably be fired.

I can run that temp with a decent allergy attack going.. Not sick just the body trying to attack itself until the Benadryl kicks in.. Have done that since I was a child.

Was told today that we're going to guest masks required. If they won't, they will be directed to place a drive up order from their vehicle. Details are being discussed with regard to "medical condition" folks, but the CDC website pretty much says that almost (emphasis on almost) everyone, regardless of medical condition, should be able to wear a mask.
Even with "medical condition" folks, directing to drive up is perfectly (legally) allowed. It's a reasonable accommodation as required by the ADA.

We've had the temp checks going at my job for several months. Originally they had a set of plexiglass booths by the entrance and any supervisor who had volunteered for it would scan your forehead with a contactless thermometer, but then they copped themselves an expensive-looking electronic eyeball that you just walk past while one volunteer watches a laptop screen. The latter setup is much faster in general but seems prone to fucking up if you're wearing a hat

The medical clinic that I go to scanned me at 93.7 last week. I'm pretty sure that I was not hypothermic to that degree... or any degree! The scanner said that it is becoming difficult to get accurate readings at the door as outdoor temperature drops.

Back